2019 NBA Offseason Thread - Free Agency starts 6 p.m. ET on June 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't just take a small snippet, you have to look at the whole thing.

10 percent luck
20 percent skill
15 percent concentrated power of will
5 percent pleasure
50 percent pain
100 percent reason to remember the name

Your selective reading is disgusting.
Is this with headband or not?

No way Pistons would have included Blake. Possibly Drummond, but yeah I agree it would have been Jackson, Snell, fillers and draft picks.

Have you ever seen Westbrook make his big entrance to a game?! That's a diva.I guess the whole loyalty thing and whether he's a good teammate was secondary to my original point that i think it looks like a desperation move from Houston.
Desperation to get rid of Pauls contract maybe. Think its a good move.

Desperation to get rid of Pauls contract maybe. Think its a good move.
Might be a good 2K move? Most of the real experts on ESPN think that OKC did remarkably well out of this ....given they also got 2 first round picks .....as i've said, maybe Beard and Russ can make it work.

He can run the point.
Pacers cant be picky. He's a solid fit....he sees his own greatest value as helping teams win, and that fits the Pacers culture. Still 2 x open roster spots, would have liked to see them add Nwaba too.

No way Pistons would have included Blake. Possibly Drummond, but yeah I agree it would have been Jackson, Snell, fillers and draft picks.
From what I understand ownership is thrifty, but those 3 stars could have made a play in the East big time. Maybe Phili would have a better nucleus, but don't know who else..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said it improved their "championship equity", it doesn't because Westbrook is an even worse fit skill-wise and IQ-wise than Paul.

Paul has injury problems yes but he still has a game that revolves around his skill and IQ, not his athleticism which is why his injury problems aren't harmful to his game.

Houston have no championship equity with Paul. That has been proven and given Father Time it is not going to change.

Maybe they don’t with Westbrook either - time will tell.

Westbrook’s contract is at least highly movable.

Given how much next season has opened up it is worth a punt.

Houston have no championship equity with Paul. That has been proven and given Father Time it is not going to change.

Maybe they don’t with Westbrook either - time will tell.

Westbrook’s contract is at least highly movable.

Given how much next season has opened up it is worth a punt.

What?

Westbrook and Harden are both all time stat padders.

Westbrook has averaged a triple double for 3 seasons in a row and his team hasn't made it out of the first round of the playoffs. Without Durant they were never a shot regardless of who the other pieces were.

The Rockets have been better with Harden in the top 3 in MVP voting each year but have never made past the Warriors with or without Chris Paul, even with Durant out this year.

Last year Harden took 1028 3 point shots, Westbrook 411. Westbrook took 1062 2 point shots, Harden 881. Harden took 858 free throws, Westbrook 451. They were also #1 (Westbrook, 784) and #5 Harden (586) for assists. Neither are particularly good shooters. They score a lot because they shoot a lot, but they aren't top 50 for field goal or three point shooting %. If you are a 37% 3 point shooter and put up 13 a game you are going to score 4.8 of them on average. It's a 48 minute game of 24 second plays. How do you have two guys shooting it 40+ times a game (excluding 20+ free throws) and maintain a team offence?

I don't see it working. You could argue that either or both are better than Paul George or Kawhi Leonard or Steph or Klay if it made you feel good, but I would pick one of Harden/Westbrook and one of any of those other guys as a combo compared to Harden + Westbrook together. George played off Westbrook this season and scored 28 a game. Westbrook can't do that, he's not a good enough shooter. Harden maybe could, but he'd have to give up control of the ball and his off ball running this year was rubbish. If he's not going to let Chris Paul call the shots then what makes Westbrook special? It's exciting to have two explosive, high scoring guards on one team and it won't be easy to defend but I do think having both takes away from each of them given how they play.

Westbrook and Harden are both all time stat padders.

Westbrook has averaged a triple double for 3 seasons in a row and his team hasn't made it out of the first round of the playoffs. Without Durant they were never a shot regardless of who the other pieces were.

The Rockets have been better with Harden in the top 3 in MVP voting each year but have never made past the Warriors with or without Chris Paul, even with Durant out this year.

Last year Harden took 1028 3 point shots, Westbrook 411. Westbrook took 1062 2 point shots, Harden 881. Harden took 858 free throws, Westbrook 451. They were also #1 (Westbrook, 784) and #5 Harden (586) for assists. Neither are particularly good shooters. They score a lot because they shoot a lot, but they aren't top 50 for field goal or three point shooting %. If you are a 37% 3 point shooter and put up 13 a game you are going to score 4.8 of them on average. It's a 48 minute game of 24 second plays. How do you have two guys shooting it 40+ times a game (excluding 20+ free throws) and maintain a team offence?

I don't see it working. You could argue that either or both are better than Paul George or Kawhi Leonard or Steph or Klay if it made you feel good, but I would pick one of Harden/Westbrook and one of any of those other guys as a combo compared to Harden + Westbrook together. George played off Westbrook this season and scored 28 a game. Westbrook can't do that, he's not a good enough shooter. Harden maybe could, but he'd have to give up control of the ball and his off ball running this year was rubbish. If he's not going to let Chris Paul call the shots then what makes Westbrook special? It's exciting to have two explosive, high scoring guards on one team and it won't be easy to defend but I do think having both takes away from each of them given how they play.
In my opinion Westbrook played the way he did after Durant left because they were no shot at a title and the team was happy for the Westbrook show to sell seats and garner media attention.

The Rockets have a top 5-10 player in his prime, they had to do something. Chris Paul was visibly declining so there was no point keeping him around on a massive contract. Westbrook and Harden have played together before and maybe Westbrook is at a point his career where he wants to win and is willing to sacrifice.

I also think Harden could be used more off ball.

Not convinced it will work great but it’s fairly wide open this year. The way Morey continually brings in fresh stars via trade is pretty amazing.

Last year Harden took 1028 3 point shots, Westbrook 411. Westbrook took 1062 2 point shots, Harden 881. Harden took 858 free throws, Westbrook 451. They were also #1 (Westbrook, 784) and #5 Harden (586) for assists. Neither are particularly good shooters. They score a lot because they shoot a lot, but they aren't top 50 for field goal or three point shooting %. If you are a 37% 3 point shooter and put up 13 a game you are going to score 4.8 of them on average.

I hope you are mainly talking about Westbrook here, because Harden is a near-generational shooter, and he scores his points ultra-efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back