List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...and he was still probably our best until Gardiner came along. Who would you have above him?
Laurie Keene was a better player but unfortunately we barely saw him, Alex Ischenko I used to quite like but he only played a couple of seasons for us.
David Hynes? Harding? Jason Ball?
I think you're missing the point. For a good chunk of our history, including the part where we won 2 flags and played finals every year for a decade, we had battlers in the ruck.

I think you're missing the point. For a good chunk of our history, including the part where we won 2 flags and played finals every year for a decade, we had battlers in the ruck.
I understand your point, I was reinforcing it by saying that before Gardiner, Turnball was our best and no disrespect to him but he was obviously no star.

struggling with the guy on the left

Dean Irving. 200 cm and 102 kg ( Big Unit ) 43 games 9 goals 1990-1993.

South Fremantle boy after leaving us he went to Melbourne 1994 -1997 23 games 4 goals.

Then he returned home to WA and won the Simpson Medal 1998 BOG against SA.

We are a club which, traditionally, has rarely not had a top ruckman playing for us. From Laurie Keene who could have been anything, through to Gardiner, Cox, Ball and now NN. I hope we have a crack at Jackson in this year's draft.

From my understanding Jackson is another undersized ruckman who probably won't be able to play that position at AFL level.

Skills of Tim English but a similar athletic profile of Bailey Williams.

Not really #1 ruck material unless he has a big growth spurt. Williams is only 199cm, Jackson is 197cm currently.

I'd take a swing at him for his talent alone, but list management wise, it probably wouldn't make sense unless Brander leaves or we plan on putting several years of development into him. Unless he plays FWD/RCK like Vardy/Williams/Brooksby do, he won't get games 🤷‍♂️

Dean Irving. 200 cm and 102 kg ( Big Unit ) 43 games 9 goals 1990-1993.

South Fremantle boy after leaving us he went to Melbourne 1994 -1997 23 games 4 goals.

Then he returned home to WA and won the Simpson Medal 1998 BOG against SA.

A few years older than Kemp but also a “Kalgoorlie kid”

Played all of ‘91 then we got Paul Harding (who Malthouse thought was soft when he was at St Kilda) so Irving didn’t play much for WC after that.

We had a lot of ruck/KP players in the early ‘90’s. Irving, Hynes, Turnbull, Burton, Ball, Spinks, Harding. None of them were stars of the competition though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Williams keeps getting better as this year progresses then we shouldn’t need to draft another ruckman. How many teams have won the flag the last decade with an A+ ruckman?

A+ mids are where it’s at. We have Nic Nat for three years ( won’t play 3 years of games sadly) , Keegan , Vardy and Hickey who can all help develop Williams for the next couple of years.

If Williams keeps getting better as this year progresses then we shouldn’t need to draft another ruckman. How many teams have won the flag the last decade with an A+ ruckman?

A+ mids are where it’s at. We have Nic Nat for three years ( won’t play 3 years of games sadly) , Keegan , Vardy and Hickey who can all help develop Williams for the next couple of years.

If Brisbane can get away with a dope like 199cm Stefan Martin leading their ruck division, i think we'll be fine putting stock into a high leaper like Williams.

Other than that, we should probably look in the bargain basement for a #1 ruck backup like Darcy Cameron if he wants to come home.

Hickey is the main one. If Hickey goes down we're probably in trouble.

Very underrated.

It’s interesting how times have changed and players are now taller on average.

Our main ruckman in 1992 was 193cm and in 1994 was 190cm.

Harding and Barnes from Geelong were still short ruckman for the time. 1991 grand final you had the 200cm Stephen Lawrence vs the 200cm Dean Irving

If Brisbane can get away with a dope like 199cm Stefan Martin leading their ruck division, i think we'll be fine putting stock into a high leaper like Williams.

Other than that, we should probably look in the bargain basement for a #1 ruck backup like Darcy Cameron if he wants to come home.

Hickey is the main one. If Hickey goes down we're probably in trouble.

Honestly Hickey is getting hugely overrated on here he makes terrible decisions constantly.

Im guilty of never seeing him play but surely we give Brooksby a crack.

Honestly Hickey is getting hugely overrated on here he makes terrible decisions constantly.

Im guilty of never seeing him play but surely we give Brooksby a crack.

I rate him in the fact we have no other ruckman capable of rucking solo on our list.

Naitanui getting 3 years didn't sit right with me personally, considering he's always injured. But Hickey is at least a competent and durable #1 ruckman.

Not a superstar by any means.

Brooksby is too undersized to ever be a competent AFL ruckman IMO, only ever 2nd banana.

I rate him in the fact we have no other ruckman capable of rucking solo on our list.

Naitanui getting 3 years didn't sit right with me personally, considering he's always injured. But Hickey is at least a competent and durable #1 ruckman.

Not a superstar by any means.
Hickey is ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back