List Mgmt. 2019 Trade & Free Agency Thread V2

Remove this Banner Ad

thomas-campbell-of-north-melbourne-celebrates-during-the-round-nine-picture-id1152961555

best time to cash in on goldstein is after he's signed a new contract.

If Goldy goes down, we are ****ed.

You claimed drafting precision is way higher now. I've argued it's not necessarily so.

The principles of trading haven't changed as much as you claim in those 20 years because you still have fixed list sizes, mandated yearly list changes and the national draft still being the main avenue to list the best national talent.

You also have 2x additional teams scanning the landscape and the use of academies to offset any supposed increase in recruiting smarts across the league.

It was a crapshoot then and it's a crapshoot now.

I’m not talking about principles, I’m talking about how much more priority clubs are taking in recruiting the right kids. The spending on researching and identifying talent has increased astronomically and clubs do it because there is an obvious benefit in doing it.
The academies is just more proof of the focus clubs are now focusing on to identify young talent. Regardless of how they are picked up, the academies is just another resource in developing kids at a young age to help get those top picks right. We took benefit with the academy last and other clubs will benefit this year.
I’m not saying selections are perfect, but have come along way particularly with first round picks.

Would you pick the current crop of kids you listed or the group from 20 years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Suns want more than a future 2nd round pick for Martin.

Now, I don't think he's worth a top 10 pick, but if GC were to bundle pick 15 & Martin for pick 8 then.........................:think:
He has to agree to play for us as well...

From the Fox Footy Trade Chat .......

Q: ( More a statement really) North massive losers this trade period, all the clubs around them are improving through trades yet north doing absolutely nothing
less

A: Strange time of year to not have a list manager

This is really dumb logic. If a club is "improving" because they have gained a player then, logically the club who lost said player is on the decline, ergo for every improving list there is one which has declined equally. Seems not to trade is to also not to decline nor "improve". Players don't magically improve just because they are at another club. Some get better (Higgo, Pittard) some regress (Bennell) some remain the same (Hannberry). Trading for the sake of trading is ludicrous. If they fill a need then that could be good for the balance of the list. Our list is pretty well balanced, we got hit with a heap of injuries to the backline (Maj, EVW, McDonald, Scotty) and still managed some good wins. A better system will see all our players look better individually.

Some clubs benefit from trades
Hawthorne, Richmond - Prestia, Caddy, Lynch, Houli
But that was because they have a good system
Others have built premierships from the draft such as West Coast, Bulldogs and Geelong
Plenty have splashed out on big trades and still not won the big dance - Buddy, Carlisle, Dangerfield

So far there have only been 4 trades and 4 free agent signings. Seems like it will either be a hectic last day or more clubs are realising that trades is a hyped up AFL circus to stay in the media and not the secret of winning premierships.

Papley has already picked out a car spot and a hi-vis vest that brings out his eyes at Visy Recycling Centre. Move on.
His manager Scott Lucas (who I rate highly as a reasonable bloke) did say that they'd be happy to look elsewhere if the deal couldn't be done with Carlton. That time may soon be upon them.

Well you'd probably be the only recruiter in Australia.

De Goey on his own is worth more than Brown and Vlaustin was unlucky not to be an AA this year. They are 23 and 25 yrs old.

I agree with all the others, but as a matter of being impartial, every club, including North would do De Goey & Vlaustin for Brown.
It’s selective editing, in 2017 would’ve got you Cerra, Naughton.
Which would’ve been interesting would you trade brown for Cerra/naughton combo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Goldy goes down, we are f’ed.
Possibly, but then again things could be worse...
If Grundy goes down, Collingwood are f'ed
If Stef Martin goes down, Brisbane are f'ed
If Bellchambers goes down, Essendon are f'ed
If Marshall goes down St Kilda are f'ed

But even if Gawn and Witts don't go down, Melbourne and Gold Coast are f'ed anyway.

Had to see if i could get a bite .......

Q: Morning, Seems like North is keeping it's powder dry for the draft do you agree ?. Maybe the cash and picks being thrown around at mid level players isnt interesting them ?.

A: Understand they were keen on Dougal Howard. But their offer to Port wasn't even in the ballpark. Howard chose St Kilda anyway. They have been very quiet.

Yeah ok ..... so we were realistic based on who he is and what he is worth , meanwhile at the Saints........

giphy (11).gif

His manager Scott Lucas (who I rate highly as a reasonable bloke) did say that they'd be happy to look elsewhere if the deal couldn't be done with Carlton. That time may soon be upon them.

I don't think Carlton are holding that one up.

Fox Footy Trade Chat, funny as hell in there.

It never ceases to amaze me the ignorance about Trading in general from so called experts.

Andy Maher was asked a question about the points at draft time and he admitted to being very vague about how they were applied. Reckon if I was hosting an afternoon slot on a Sports Entertainment Network with a primary focus on AFL, I'd bring myself up to speed.

From the Fox Footy Trade Chat .......

Q: ( More a statement really) North massive losers this trade period, all the clubs around them are improving through trades yet north doing absolutely nothing
less

A: Strange time of year to not have a list manager
I have tried to steer clear of this madness, but I have finally been sucked in.

Do these assclowns not realise that you can also improve your club through the draft? Trading is not the only way to improve a list.

Was that Trade Radio's reply?

Offer to Port? The pitch is to the player first not the club. Player agrees then negotiations with the club begins

I think we would have spoken to Port in between Howard visiting and him nominating a club. Every chance he nominated St Kilda because they appeared more likely to get a deal done.

It never ceases to amaze me the ignorance about Trading in general from so called experts.

Andy Maher was asked a question about the points at draft time and he admitted to being very vague about how they were applied. Reckon if I was hosting an afternoon slot on a Sports Entertainment Network with a primary focus on AFL, I'd bring myself up to speed.

Proves it's a closed shop boys club. You could be the next great football journalist, well-versed in all the minutiae and charismatic on air but you'll be filtered out by the group-wank nature of the industry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back