Review 2020 Grand Final discussion

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

17 shortened quarter games - I guess you have bragging rights but does anyone really consider this a real season? For me its more like an exhibition carnival to keep up our Victorian spirits. There's no way Geelong makes a grand final if the season is 23 rounds and the games go for a proper length.

17 shortened quarter games - I guess you have bragging rights but does anyone really consider this a real season? For me its more like an exhibition carnival to keep up our Victorian spirits. There's no way Geelong makes a grand final if the season is 23 rounds and the games go for a proper length.
They would have tired out like every other year

I think I am actually leaning towards Geelong and I don't know how to feel about that.

You should be ashamed of yourself... 😉
Being a Hawthorn supporter and backing Geelol....it's un Australian.

In all seriousness, it has to be Richmond. I actually respect most Geelol players, but seeing the smug faces on their overated coach, captain and Dangerflog.....is well, way to much to bare.

Even if we win this year we wont enter the convo. 3 in 4 years doesnt compare to a threepeat and 4 in 8. With The way the game is played at the moment, all teams play ugly. Geelong chipping the ball around the backline isn’t fun to watch either. But Until the game opens up a bit and is less congested it wouldnt matter what game style sides used
If you do that you will get to the pleasure of trying to explain to Geelong supporters that winning 3 flags in 5 years is NOT harder than a threepeat or even 3 in 4 years.
It really is mind boggling their mindset .

Good luck next Saturday

When you look at the two teams in the GF this year it really stands out to me how physically developed and tall they are.

Geelong in particular, I don't think there is a player in their backline under 190cm and even their "mid" sized midfielders like Guthrie are 187cm and 86kg.

The shorter quarters have definitely helped these larger players but I can't help but compare the power players on both teams such as Dangerfield and Martin to our own playing list which contains some really light bodied endurance athletes like Sculley and Morrison (even Shiels, Mitchell, Worps and JOM are all 185cm or under and not exactly explosive power athletes)

Having lighter bodied players like this might make sense if you played 22 games a year on the MCG in perfect conditions but I am coming around to the belief that across a full season you are better placed to have a team on the bigger side (especially given the contested nature of the AFL these days). To grind out the 12+ wins a year you need to make finals having the size and power advantage over the competition will add up.

This is probably why we tend to play better with Howe in the side. Daniel is no world beater but he is at least 191cm and 87kg and can make his presence felt in the contest.

I feel like to make it in the AFL these days you are better off to either be a big powerful athlete such as Fyfe / Cripps / Bontempelli or be a smaller player such as Liam Ryan / Charlie Cameron with explosive speed and skills.

I don't really see much of a place these days for the 180cm, 80kg onballer with average pace (unless they are a freakish talent).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope it’s a chilly night. Will be easier for me to capture my farts in a jar. Unless i kick on the punt. Then hello Turffontein
It's expected to rain and have thunderstorms which suits Richmond. Cats need to take alot of marks to make their game plan most effective and that will be hard to do in the wet. The counter argument to that is they have alot of big bodied players that should be able to handle the slog.

It's expected to rain and have thunderstorms which suits Richmond. Cats need to take alot of marks to make their game plan most effective and that will be hard to do in the wet. The counter argument to that is they have alot of big bodied players that should be able to handle the slog.

im in Victoria which means I can do sweet FA other catching farts.

Yeah + Geelong has had all these games down at Kardinia Park so it's no shock they made it to the big dance, hard to compete with a team that has that sort of advantage at home every 2nd week. Wasn't shocked at all to see Brisbane get utterly destroyed down there in the prelim.

For this reason I'd like to see Geelong win.

Nothing would be quite as fitting as them having a genuine * next to a premiership, given their history with Dank and Bomber pre their scum related outings for cheating.

Those two guys were among the chief architects of Geelong's recent glory years. It might get buried by talking heads in football media, but it deserves a lot more coverage than its ever been given.

Both clubs like to count their VFA premierships in their official tallies (to show that they've won more flags than Hawthorn, perhaps?), so Richmond are actually going for their 15th flag, Geelong their 17th. :drunk:

Exactly.

Back