Game Day 2021 AFL Draft

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Ask and ye’ shall receive!

Still soooooooooo happy.
So onwards to the next phase with Zac Taylor and Jack Williams (who hopefully could be used at both ends) as my preferences.

sad cry.gif

You will still have to pay for it. I have an LG smart tv and there are numerous apps on it that I can't access because I haven't paid for the subscription.
most of the VFL games last year were on the freebie kayo

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney

happy with that analysis
Confirmed that Geelong traded up to get Sheldrick, which should help alleviate the “reach worries”.

Based on the West Coast board’s melt-down, D+ might even be generous!

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Not mentioned much but the players we drafted were generally speaking mostly on the younger side

Sheldrick - 7/11/2003
Roberts - 31/07/2003
Warner - 07/10/2003
Rankin - 05/02/2003

So other than Rankin all our selection were born in the back half of the year, which suggests they have more development in them than players born in the front half. Sheldrick and Warner are especially young.

Bloods_sucker

Debutant
Dec 10, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I think the guy who writes for ESPN (Chris Doerre) was just chuffed at himself that both Sheldrick and Aleer went early, to justify his own power rankings, as he had rated them much higher than others had.

Scratch my head as to how it's even possible to rate a draft haul until at least 5 years after the event, I guess take from it what you will, he was assessing against his own rankings I suppose

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Article from themongrelpunt giving grades (as of now) on the 2016 draft

Draft that we picked up Florent and Hayward and the Suns had four picks in the top 10 ( Ben Ainsworth, Jack Scrimshaw, Will Brodie, Jack Bowes,).

Reasonable that, 5 years down the track, you can assess a draft, utterly pointless the day after the draft.

And Gold Coast was then and remains a shambles.
FWIW Cal Twomey's assessment (the day after the draft) of Gold Coast's draft haul;
There was no way the Suns could have gone wrong, really, considering they started the night with four top-10 picks.
The evening may be looked back upon as the second coming of the Suns given the quality they added. Had to blitz and they did.

Other media outlets were similarly enthusiastic. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Draft that we picked up Florent and Hayward and the Suns had four picks in the top 10 ( Ben Ainsworth, Jack Scrimshaw, Will Brodie, Jack Bowes,).

Reasonable that, 5 years down the track, you can assess a draft, utterly pointless the day after the draft.

FWIW Cal Twomey's assessment (the day after the draft) of Gold Coast's draft haul;

H. B. Myers:
A bit of personal bias, here – I believe Florent has the capacity to be the best wingman in the game, but the gap between his best and worst remains too vast currently. 14 of his 23 games in 2021 saw him fail to hit the 20-disposal mark. That has to be rectified.
Hayward – I have said it before; there is a touch of Stevie J about him. Johnson was enigmatic before he become consistently brilliant. This is the place we now find Hayward. He needs to take that step.

elastic

Cometh the moment
Jul 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

We are fortunate that the Swans have an incredible development program which manages to get the best out of most of our players. Aside from injury most of the kids get an opportunity to make their mark and are given time and patience when required. If they don't make it then they are not up to it.
You get the sense that a club like Gold Coast or Carlton may not offer those pathways to certain players.
Would players like Blakey or Stephens be on the scrapheap at GC already?
Kids are drafted mostly on ability and the ability of these kids doesn't disappear but they need to keep improving all other aspects of their game if they are going to be AFL players.
Scrimshaw has become a good player at the Hawks. Seems to know his role at half back and plays with decent composure. Seems crazy to let a kid like that go from your club

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Scrimshaw has become a good player at the Hawks. Seems to know his role at half back and plays with decent composure. Seems crazy to let a kid like that go from your club
His dad used to post on the Suns board and it was clear that (at least according to his father) Scrimshaw felt that he wasn't getting the development/opportunity he wanted/felt he deserved.
When he left it was painted as a guy who was homesick and going off to play for the club he supported as a kid, but it seemed to go deeper than that.

An impression I get from Stewie Dew is that if you are on the outer with him, you don't have much chance of getting back on his good side.
Let Jarryd Lyons go after seemingly putting a line through him (delisting him with a year to run on his contract).
Aaron Hall the same. (equal 3rd in North's B&F this year)
Didn't give 2MP a game in 2020 even on shortened breaks or with injuries to talls. (Averaging a goal and a half, plus 10 HOs per game in 21 outings with Ess).
And now has effectively done the same with Will Brodie.
But then they bring in a guy like Rory Atkins on a four year deal (with a 5th year option), plus a whole bunch of Richmond fringe players on decent contracts.

I honestly don't think the Suns value draft picks the same way as other clubs.
Silvagni said Carlton offered picks equivalent to pick 9 for Jack Martin, but GC wanted pick 9 or nothing and so let Martin walk to the PSD.

I also really doubt their development capabilities.
And I do wonder about Dew as a coach and indeed manager, he goes through a lot of assistants.

So, without even taking into account the Hugh Greenwood schmozzle, yes they are IMO a shambolic organisation (deliberately choosing to avoid using 'club')

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Confirmed that Geelong traded up to get Sheldrick, which should help alleviate the “reach worries”.

Based on the West Coast board’s melt-down, D+ might even be generous!

Knightmare had, at one stage fairly recently, Chesser ranked outside his top 40. I don't agree but he rarely backs down on his list positions

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Not mentioned much but the players we drafted were generally speaking mostly on the younger side

Sheldrick - 7/11/2003
Roberts - 31/07/2003
Warner - 07/10/2003
Rankin - 05/02/2003

So other than Rankin all our selection were born in the back half of the year, which suggests they have more development in them than players born in the front half. Sheldrick and Warner are especially young.

This will sound like a bad record but IMO Roberts is fairly close to his peak. He has footy smarts so hoping the development comes via experience. Really want to be proven wrong but feels like another Gould pick to me

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

I never understood Twomey on that one. Scrimshaw was a project player who didn't want to leave Victoria and Brodie had question marks around flexibility and athleticism. The other 2 were good picks but at the time it felt like a lost opportunity to me.

This is the draft that still kills me. I was massively (Dary Wilmot levels) into Simpkin who went the pick after Olli. Florent has done well but Simpkin and Hayward would had been a dream draft for me.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
We are fortunate that the Swans have an incredible development program which manages to get the best out of most of our players. Aside from injury most of the kids get an opportunity to make their mark and are given time and patience when required. If they don't make it then they are not up to it.
You get the sense that a club like Gold Coast or Carlton may not offer those pathways to certain players.
Would players like Blakey or Stephens be on the scrapheap at GC already?
Kids are drafted mostly on ability and the ability of these kids doesn't disappear but they need to keep improving all other aspects of their game if they are going to be AFL players.

Scrimshaw was a basket case at GC, mentally not committed. He was going through the motions and had to go

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades

happy with that analysis
He does an excellent job in all of his analysis. It was interesting to note that every one from 10 onwards of the "if I was the list manager" comments suggested that Johnson should have been picked.
It does seem odd that if Johnson had said he would ask for a trade back home after 2 years, that it didn't get leaked to the media.

Back