2021 best 22 (and sub)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I think Fagan has more confidence in some of the young guys, so some of the 'established best 22' might not receive as much latitude when form is average over a period of a few weeks. I think we will get an indication of selection policy in the pre season games, but really hope Birchall, Adams, Lester, Robinson, even possibly Zorks don't get selected for the pre season games over Coleman, Dev, Payne, Prior, Answerth, possibly B.Smith etc
I would like to see some of the younger players get a chance in these preseason games
But the last few years Fagan has gone into these game with just about his best 22.
With top two finishes the last 2 years i think he will keep to this formula
Just hope us fans can actually get into grounds this year to see some of the intra club matches.
Not to mention watching the twos in the new competition

I would like to see some of the younger players get a chance in these preseason games
But the last few years Fagan has gone into these game with just about his best 22.
Just hope us fans can actually get into grounds this year to see some of the intra club matches.
Id be really interested to know how Answerth is going, after playing every game first year then was it we were giving him time to build his body up?good player.

Reckon Starc will have a good highlight reel this year

Birchall and Robinson in particular I think are in a bit of trouble, are they automatic first 22?
I don't think they are, especially Birchall. I think they both contribute to the side throughout the year, but IMO not automatic best 22 each week.

As usual in the pre season i am bullish about our prospects for the upcoming year
Fagan has said many times players just need to keep improving on the previous year and Team success will follow.
I can see solid to big improvement in these players for 2021 (age order old-young):
CEY, McInerney, McStay, Hipwood, Ah Chee, J Berry, Starcevich, Answerth, Bailey, Payne, Rayner & K Coleman (yep Rayner is only 5 months older than Kiddy)

Like to see more consistency in two good players
McCarthy & Cameron

Form watch on our 3 oldest players
Birchall, Zorko & M Robinson

All other best 22 to hold their 2020 form
The traded in Daniher & Cockatoo hope they are a success at our club. Form unknown at this stage but very hopeful on both especially Daniher.
Marcus Adams just hope he can put a full season together but not hopeful. Some players are just injury prone.
Treading water: A Smith & Mathieson but their is always hope
Have not seen enough of the rest to form an opinion
If we get this improvement no reason why we won't finish top 4 again this year. Well that's what i am hoping anyhow.
Agree and with a fair 2021 draw, cannot see any reason Lions not in top 4, unless COVID is an issue and WA or Vic becomes the AFL hubs for a period of time.

Id be really interested to know how Answerth is going, after playing every game first year then was it we were giving him time to build his body up?good player.

Reckon Starc will have a good highlight reel this year

I love what Answerth brings to the table. Such a competitor, works hard and seems like a real team first player. Have had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and a really nice and humble type of fella also. Certainly has a very bright future imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I love what Answerth brings to the table. Such a competitor, works hard and seems like a real team first player. Have had the pleasure of meeting him a few times and a really nice and humble type of fella also. Certainly has a very bright future imo.

some of the posters have mentioned he suffered some type of groin injury in the latter part of the season. I hope and think we will see more of him in 2021.

Answerth is a great competitor and still young and i have no issue with him playing if selected.
I just wonder what the coaches think about which back 7 defenders are best suited to overall team success
Will they go for a small lockdown defender or something else

Answerth played round 1 then 9 -17
I know he was injured late in the year but can't recall what happened between R 2 - R 8
R 9 return was due to injuries to Rich (out 1 week) & Lester (out 2)
Andrews out R 16,17,18
Starcevich missed R 17
Witherden dropped from R15 onwards
Ah Chee moved back to defense for R 18, SF, PF after moving from defense to forward for R 12 - 17
My thinking is he may be backup defender at this stage

Answerth is a great competitor and still young and i have no issue with him playing if selected.
I just wonder what the coaches think about which back 7 defenders are best suited to overall team success
Will they go for a small lockdown defender or something else

Answerth played round 1 then 9 -17
I know he was injured late in the year but can't recall what happened between R 2 - R 8
R 9 return was due to injuries to Rich (out 1 week) & Lester (out 2)
Andrews out R 16,17,18
Starcevich missed R 17
Witherden dropped from R15 onwards
Ah Chee moved back to defense for R 18, SF, PF after moving from defense to forward for R 12 - 17
My thinking is he may be backup defender at this stage
To add to that list I read on here that Cocky is destined for a hbf when match ready.

I would like to see Kiddy given a go as a rebounding backman possibly bp to take on the opposition with great agility which our recent batch of backs may struggle to handle. Add his strong tackle technique and accurate kicking.............bring it on.....in a praccy at least.

Reckon you might see him playing seniors Rd 1.

Which tall do you think he replaces and what position does he play come round 1? Personally can’t see him playing round 1, but would love to hear your thoughts cotter.

Which tall do you think he replaces and what position does he play come round 1? Personally can’t see him playing round 1, but would love to hear your thoughts cotter.
I'm with you DR, I just don't see Tom being anywhere near the best 22 unless we have about 3-4 talls injured.

I was under the assumption that Daniher was the player most likely to provide a chop out (McStay has also rucked in the F50 too) to McInerney / Archie Smith, whichever is playing.

That would be remarkably top heavy if we went with Gardiner, Andrews, Payne / Adams (KPD), McStay, Hipwood, Daniher (KPF), one of McInerney or Smith and then Fullarton as well i.e. 8 talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you DR, I just don't see Tom being anywhere near the best 22 unless we have about 3-4 talls injured.

I was under the assumption that Daniher was the player most likely to provide a chop out (McStay has also rucked in the F50 too) to McInerney / Archie Smith, whichever is playing.

That would be remarkably top heavy if we went with Gardiner, Andrews, Payne / Adams (KPD), McStay, Hipwood, Daniher (KPF), one of McInerney or Smith and then Fullarton as well i.e. 8 talls.
I see 3 or 4 of those you mention above NOT being in the best 22 for round 1. But, thats just an opinion. Early form in pre-season games will have a significant role in determining who does or doesn't play Round 1. Strong competition for spots is good.

I see 3 or 4 of those you mention above NOT being in the best 22 for round 1. But, thats just an opinion. Early form in pre-season games will have a significant role in determining who does or doesn't play Round 1. Strong competition for spots is good.

Just to follow up on what Mighty Lions quoted, it is going to be mighty interesting to see what lineups are announced for both of those pre-season games against Gold Coast & Carlton next month as I wouldn't be surprised if we use the match against Gold Coast especially to trial a whole range of players compared to the past couple of pre-seasons in which the focus was to find that winning culture within the club.

I think though our best 22 for Round 1 vs. Sydney (Barring Injuries) would be something like this:

B: Starcevich, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Birchall, Payne, Rich,
C: McCluggage, Lyons, Robinson
HF: Bailey, Daniher, Rayner
F: Cameron, Hipwood, McCarthy
FO: McInerney, Neale, Zorko
INT: Ah Chee, J.Berry, Cockatoo, McStay

Last edited:
Any word on if well do an extra scratch match with gc this preseason?

I think though our best 22 for Round 1 vs. Sydney (Barring Injuries) would be something like this:

B: Starcevich, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Birchall, Payne, Rich,
C: McCluggage, Lyons, Robinson
HF: Bailey, Daniher, Rayner
F: Cameron, Hipwood, McCarthy
FO: McInerney, Neale, Zorko
INT: Ah Chee, J.Berry, Cockatoo, McStay

Answerth, Lester and Coleman could all slot into that team. Good position for us to be in. Sword of Damocles is hanging over the head of Birchall, Robinson, McCarthy and McStay for mine.

Answerth, Lester and Coleman could all slot into that team. Good position for us to be in. Sword of Damocles is hanging over the head of Birchall, Robinson, McCarthy and McStay for mine.

Adams, Ellis-Yolman, Roberston, T.Berry all could as well slot in as well 😍

I wouldn't say McCarthy is under that sword yet but those other 3 are.

Adams, Ellis-Yolman, Roberston, T.Berry all could as well slot in as well 😍

I wouldn't say McCarthy is under that sword yet but those other 3 are.

Just thought McCarthy was a little hot & cold last year. More cold than hot. Albeit, he is a great set shot. Was thinking Coleman might be nipping at his heels.

Just thought McCarthy was a little hot & cold last year. More cold than hot. Albeit, he is a great set shot. Was thinking Coleman might be nipping at his heels.

True. Although I just feel we still have a young side and I just put him in the lineup as experience for us.

But don't get wrong, if McCarthy is down on form or injured, Coleman would the first person in for his position cause he is a future gun for us 😍

True. Although I just feel we still have a young side and I just put him in the lineup as experience for us.

But don't get wrong, if McCarthy is down on form or injured, Coleman would the first person in for his position cause he is a future gun for us 😍
McCarthy was the one guy who really stood up and tried to turn it around when we were really under the pump in the last game.

I reckon he's got a lot more to give and does a lot off the ball that doesn't go on the stats sheet.

One of the first guys I'd pick ,but that's just me.

McCarthy was the one guy who really stood up and tried to turn it around when we were really under the pump in the last game.

I reckon he's got a lot more to give and does a lot off the ball that doesn't go on the stats sheet.

One of the first guys I'd pick ,but that's just me.

Exactly. That's why in my eyes he's quite an underrated player at our club.

Regarding Coleman as well, why don't we use him as a speedy half-back if we are thin of talent of that area as I do remember him playing that position in 2019 I think in the NEAFL before he got drafted and he seemed really dangerous playing out of there, albeit the teams were a lot more lower in performance.

Exactly. That's why in my eyes he's quite an underrated player at our club.

Regarding Coleman as well, why don't we use him as a speedy half-back if we are thin of talent of that area as I do remember him playing that position in 2019 I think in the NEAFL before he got drafted and he seemed really dangerous playing out of there, albeit the teams were a lot more lower in performance.
That's got to be a possibility over time. He needs to build himself up a bit more and somehow get some experience in the role but he's got all the tools to be a very damaging player coming out of the backline with his skills ,vision and team first ethic.

That's got to be a possibility over time. He needs to build himself up a bit more and somehow get some experience in the role but he's got all the tools to be a very damaging player coming out of the backline with his skills ,vision and team first ethic.

I love how the club in general has prioritised picking players that can play more than one position such as Bailey, Coleman, Rayner, Cameron, McCarthy, Ah Chee & Starcevich just to name a few in our lineup making us even harder to face during the match.

Even players like Prior, E.Smith, B.Smith & and all others usually were playing different roles during the 2nds last season scratch matches shows how much the club demands improvement in all areas of their performance no matter what role they are given.

Massive tick of the club's philosophy of coaching & development for the past 4-5 years in my eyes ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back