Status
Not open for further replies.
Salary cap squeeeeeze..?..!
gotta be happy with

2014/15 draftees: Heeney, Mills, Paps, Melican, *COR - all signed on
2016/17 draftees: Florent, McCartin, Hayward - all signed on
2018 draftees: Blackey, Rowbum, J Mac - all signed on
2019 draftees: Stephens, Gould, The Chad - all signed on
recent rookies: McLean, Amartey, Sheather, McAndrew - all signed on. Wicks & OConnor: likely this week
2020 draftees: McDonald, Campbell, Gulden - coming soon

been loving the Swans work at the draft (especially 2018/19/20).. Looking forward to this year with potentially p12, 16, 31, 32, 67, (p50 Reid 3rd round compo)

I think we should be campaigning for these 2 changes that would benefit all teams.

1st and 2nd round draft picks should get 3 year contracts, with a team option for a 4th - with pay scaling up each year. Players drafted after the second round in the National Draft should get 2 years with a separate team option for a 3rd and 4th year.

There would be a deadline each year where teams have to pick up the team option. Bring forward Free Agency from 8 to 6 seasons as a compromise, but RFA applies to top 50% paid, not 25%.

Secondly, players can only nominate the state they would like to be traded to, not the team. I don't think AFL players are paid enough that they should be able to be traded wherever in the country, but this is a fair compromise.

It's ridiculous that in a professional competition, you draft someone and you are almost immediately on the clock to try and convince them to stay or risk losing them for half their worth.

I don't think that's fair in a league paying not much more than people can earn with a decent profession for many of the players.
That the whole system still stands is like a gentleman's' agreement between players and the league. The whole thing could be wiped out with one legal challenge IMHO based on restraint of trade - so making that restraint more onerous very likely not on the agenda for the AFL.

Unpopular opinion - but I hope we give Clarke another year.

No Hewett leaves us with no tagger.

And from time-to-time, you just do need a shut-down player.
Now I haven't watched a lot of Stephens in the reserves but could we get him tagging to help his development? K.Jack was a tagger early and really helped his development

JPK was dominant in a different way was my point. It was not a prolific, crash-and-bash, blow-up-the-stats-sheet kind of a year for him. But his composure, ball use and movement was bloody good. Equally as important as when he was the bull getting first hands to it.

As for the young guns, I am not sure how you can be putting such a ceiling on Rowbottom and Warner so early in their careers. They are great talents who I think could be anything. Why not give them time and see what they can make of themselves?

Ball use, and movement!? :oops: I wouldn't put those down as strengths. JPK probably had the record last year for me shouting at the tv to "Give him the ball!" as he blew off obvious (from my lounge-room) runners, spot up kicks, or gave runners the ball at their ankles or 2 yards behind them. Sure a lot of his disposals are in the trenches and thus harder to execute, but still...he's often that split second late in decision making these days that makes a great mid.
It's incredible to me we are shedding Hewett's superiority in movement and disposal for the next 3/4 years in favour of one more year of JPK's big, but often frustrating stats.

I guess in Mills, JPK and Parker we are going for a high scoring game plan - in both directions. While Parker is a good defensive mid, the other two at bounces.... Hoping Rowbottom resumes an upward curve. Warner I think is certain to if he is injury free.

Now I haven't watched a lot of Stephens in the reserves but could we get him tagging to help his development? K.Jack was a tagger early and really helped his development
Probably not a hard tag. Reckon he has a good enough footy head to not need to learn like that. Im sure he'll play on others ('soft tag') and like all young players can learn from those roles.. Hard tagging role can be left to Clarke. Horse said a while ago that you lose something (a player attacking) if a player is tagging, so its a balance between the gains from shutting down the opposition best mid and the losses from the reduced impact of our mid.
Dont lose much if Clarke is tagging, but can gain a lot. Stephens may be a different scenario.

I reckon Stephens could play a number of roles, Inside and/or outside, reckon he could play Lloyds role pretty well in a couple of years. He has all the attributes of Lloyd, just maybe a bit better.?. Endurance, clean short game, pace, etc. Will he learn to read the game as well as Lloyd - maybe?

All that proves is most people don't understand what 70/30 means.
It means absolute certainty right?

No, I was just responding to someone bringing up Robin Sparkles as if they were Nostradamus themselves for saying Stephens, McLean and Fox would re-sign, the most predictable outcome at the time for all 3. If they're going to be brought up for getting easy calls right, are we not allowed to point anything less than glowing out? Especially when it's arguably the most important call they made, and weren't on the right side of it.

It means absolute certainty right?

No, I was just responding to someone bringing up Robin Sparkles as if they were Nostradamus themselves for saying Stephens, McLean and Fox would re-sign, the most predictable outcome at the time for all 3. If they're going to be brought up for getting easy calls right, are we not allowed to point anything less than glowing out? Especially when it's arguably the most important call they made, and weren't on the right side of it.
The “this is my last post” gave me QAnon vibes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brand and both of Reid and Sinkers likely going.. we'll need replacements
Paddy McCartin seems likely
Dawson to Port trade opens an opportunity for a ruck
Draft.. Dont think we'll be in play for Gibcus, and cant see Amiss getting past Freo, West Coast, Tigers or the Hawks
so who do we pick? Van Rooyen, Conway (Ruck), Williams, Alleer ??? thats 4 x highly rated talls we should have access to.

Looking forward to the draft.. could have a pretty good hand and draft 1 x tall & 2 x smalls all in the top 30

Brand and both of Reid and Sinkers likely going.. we'll need replacements
Paddy McCartin seems likely
Dawson to Port trade opens an opportunity for a ruck
Draft.. Dont think we'll be in play for Gibcus, and cant see Amiss getting past Freo, West Coast, Tigers or the Hawks
so who do we pick? Van Rooyen, Conway (Ruck), Williams, Alleer ??? thats 4 x highly rated talls we should have access to.

Looking forward to the draft.. could have a pretty good hand and draft 1 x tall & 2 x smalls all in the top 30
Herald is reporting Sinkers will sign for 1 year.

Starting to think the whole salary cap thing was typical AFL hack journalism at its best. Uncontracted players + Lance Franklin = 6 months of stories about salary cap issues.

The only player we look like losing that we want to keep is Dawson, and his decision doesn't seem based on money.
We were connected to a few players throughout the year. Lipinski, McInnis & Billings from memory. Then suddenly we have no cap.

Herald is reporting Sinkers will sign for 1 year.
So Hickey (1-2 years left) and Sinkers (1 year left)
Does that suggest that Hayes or any ruck that is ready to go next year won't be coming to the Swans?
If we draft Conway and are left relying on Conway and McAndrew 2023.. We still need to get another Ruck

Could Paddy play a similar role to Dawson, at least in defence? Is a very good mark and kick. Dawson isn’t known for his speed so it’s not like that would be a major deterrent.
Depending on Paddys health..
I like the idea of 2023 a forward line of..
Paddy, McDonald, Amartey (2nd ruck)
Hayward, Heeney
Paps, Wicks
+ others running through or resting etc.. Parker, Gulden.......

Those three talls + Henney, Paps + good support from others could kick truckloads of goals

Just an opinion of mine but it seems AFL's lack of clarification on next years $$ and current events are impacting player movement.

Seeing more and more clubs declaring they'll be sticking to the draft this year. Will be interesting to see exactly how active the trade period is.

Fremantle isn't one of those however, and reports are its put the word out seeking midfielders

Last edited:
Depending on Paddys health..
I like the idea of 2023 a forward line of..
Paddy, McDonald, Amartey (2nd ruck)
Hayward, Heeney
Paps, Wicks
+ others running through or resting etc.. Parker, Gulden.......

Those three talls + Henney, Paps + good support from others could kick truckloads of goals
How olds paddy

Ball use, and movement!? :oops: I wouldn't put those down as strengths. JPK probably had the record last year for me shouting at the tv to "Give him the ball!" as he blew off obvious (from my lounge-room) runners, spot up kicks, or gave runners the ball at their ankles or 2 yards behind them. Sure a lot of his disposals are in the trenches and thus harder to execute, but still...he's often that split second late in decision making these days that makes a great mid.
It's incredible to me we are shedding Hewett's superiority in movement and disposal for the next 3/4 years in favour of one more year of JPK's big, but often frustrating stats.

I guess in Mills, JPK and Parker we are going for a high scoring game plan - in both directions. While Parker is a good defensive mid, the other two at bounces.... Hoping Rowbottom resumes an upward curve. Warner I think is certain to if he is injury free.

Really don't think we were watching the same Kennedy this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back