List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have been decrying us signing Clarke, Gray and Taylor as experienced depth, is Sier any different?
I'd rate him higher then all of them. Both Clarke and Gray couldnt crack their respective 22s, not really close, before they joined us. Taylor's down fall was huge and Brisbane could obviously see that. I've got Sier more around the Bell style on the list. Will push in the reserves, won't be in our 22, but will be handy if he gets a game.

I'd rate him higher then all of them. Both Clarke and Gray couldnt crack their respective 22s, not really close, before they joined us. Taylor's down fall was huge and Brisbane could obviously see that. I've got Sier more around the Bell style on the list. Will push in the reserves, won't be in our 22, but will be handy if he gets a game.
Clarke played 19 games in his last season at NM (albeit some at HB)
Sam Gray played 20 games in his last season at Port.
Taylor only played 5 games in his last season at Brisbane, but had played 22 in each of the previous two seasons.

Sier has played 7 (2021), 3 (2020), 6 (2019) and 12 in 2018 , his debut year.

Clarke played 19 games in his last season at NM (albeit some at HB)
Sam Gray played 20 games in his last season at Port.
Taylor only played 5 games in his last season at Brisbane, but had played 22 in each of the previous two seasons.

Sier has played 7 (2021), 3 (2020), 6 (2019) and 12 in 2018 , his debut year.
Yeah right. Fair.

Still. I rate him higher then those 3 even when they came to our club.

Yeah right. Fair.

Still. I rate him higher then those 3 even when they came to our club.
I had no issue with those second chance players, they just didn’t turn out to be Kennedy and McGlynn…

the only one with a super low ceiling was Grey, others both had upside and have been serviceable pro’s (when Taylor does his running)

the only thing that irked me was Taylor’s $$$. Other than that it’s fine list management. I’m actually ok retaining Taylor in 2023 if he hs a year similar to this year as he was our best in VFL.

I had no issue with those second chance players, they just didn’t turn out to be Kennedy and McGlynn…

the only one with a super low ceiling was Grey, others both had upside and have been serviceable pro’s (when Taylor does his running)

the only thing that irked me was Taylor’s $$$. Other than that it’s fine list management. I’m actually ok retaining Taylor in 2023 if he hs a year similar to this year as he was our best in VFL.

selfish player with no upside, i never understood why we signed him in the first place ... i'd hope he never plays seniors for us again ... if he does, it's a sign we're in trouble ... same with gray, although he's not selfish
clarke fills a role but i really can't see why any of them would be required any longer
i did think sier looked ok his first season at collingwood but something obviously went amiss ... maybe he was caught laughing at photos of angry eddie's fat red head

If we want big bodied mid, Id take Brodie before Sier
Suns would pay half his salary too. They'd be happy to just free up a list spot

and before anyone says Brodie is sh*t, yep, he probably is, but Sier is worse

yep getting hawthorns 6th best midfielder when he’s 6th best because Mitchell Lewis Sewell and hodge are ahead is different Collingwood sixth best when most of the Collingwood mids are worse than ours.

I don’t get the love for him at all

Ehhhh, I don't think we need too much midfield depth atm, we have plenty thaf can take up roles in there.
Believe it or not, I would rather have Bell than another bit role mid like Clarke or Sier. I know we had a lot of success hunting other mids like Kennedy, but I think we need to hunt skill more than midfield grunt.

Last edited:
If we want big bodied mid, Id take Brodie before Sier
Suns would pay half his salary too. They'd be happy to just free up a list spot

and before anyone says Brodie is sh*t, yep, he probably is, but Sier is worse
Completely agree with this but he is going to Freo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ehhhh, I don't think we need too much midfield depth atm, we have plenty thaf can take up roles in their.
Believe it or not, I would rather have Bell than another bit role mid like Clarke or Sier. I know we had a lot of success hunting other mids like Kennedy, but I think we need to hunt skill more than midfield grunt.

I agree with your point and agree that a Sier type is not needed but we need to find a few out and out midfielders either via trade or via the draft for depth purposes.

Our midfield depth at the moment outside what would be considered our best 22 on paper after losing Hewitt and Dawson is Stephens, Bell, Taylor and Sheather and only one of those is an out and out midfielder.

We currently have Kennedy, Parker, Mills, Florent, Rowbottom, Warner and Stephens who are out and out midfielders

Heeney, Blakey, McInerney, Campbell, Gulden, Papley, Wicks, Bell, Taylor and Sheather can all run through the midfield at times, but are better suited in their current roles.

Kind of makes the decision to let Hewitt leave look even more strange, hopefully the club is waiting to see what he is offered before they weigh up matching it. In anycase I consider midfield depth as our number one area to address before even a Ruck (shown it can be address via trade) or KPD (Think this isn’t really a need, would look at a Rampe type replacement where to improve our defence) and would attack the early part of the draft getting a midfielder.

I hope we do not pick up Sier or similar on the argument of midfield depth. Depth is something of a euphemism for mediocrity or not at standard.

I reckon there is plenty of depth. What we are short of is a dominant player to complement Mills and Parker. I cannot see that happening too soon.

Clarke won't go. He will be backup unless someone else wants him which won't happen. His brother may get a gig with us.

Well we don't really have a tagger without Hewett, so that may be Clarke's lifeline. Although part of me does think that Fox has tagging potential in the midfield... elite tank, hard as nails, far more capable using the ball than Clarke... I'm not really a fan of tagging, but if there are games where we need someone to shut down an opposition mid in the midfield, and Fox isn't getting a game in defence, I wouldn't mind seeing that move made.

I hope we do not pick up Sier or similar on the argument of midfield depth. Depth is something of a euphemism for mediocrity or not at standard.

I reckon there is plenty of depth. What we are short of is a dominant player to complement Mills and Parker. I cannot see that happening too soon.

If you could take off your blinders for a moment GUH you would see that JPK did that role very well this year. His composure and ball use was Hewett-like. You cannot mourn his departure while simultaneously dismissing the performance of the bloke who played the most like him this season.

I think that if JPK can back it up again for one more year then it can get us through to the point where Rowbottom and Warner can start to be the dominant forces in there.

Another year, another off-season of Brayden Sier and Will Brodie hypothesizing. I will not exempt myself from this cycle as I was long a vocal skeptic of our future midfield stocks. However all I wanted was just some evidence that the talent underneath was there, and that it wasn't just Rowbottom or bust. Horse served up two great pieces of evidence this year with the faith he put in Warner, who emerged seemingly from nowhere, and with the long-awaited move of Mills to the midfield.

Both exceeded expectations IMO. I think those three above is an incredibly exciting core of our future midfield, one that I would not want to see interrupted by giving more opportunities to lesser talents like Sier or Brodie just so we can "improve our depth." Those three will be surrounded by what I'm guessing will be a rotating cast of hybrid mids like Errol, Braeden, Florent, McInerney, (Stephens?), Heeney and Papley. (And Parker, who I think will be a hybrid mid/forward by that point)

The doubt may be whether three is enough to serve as your core midfield, and I'm surprisingly going to say yes. It may seem hard to imagine now, with Mills missing a decent chunk of this year, Rowbottom averaging TOG% in the 60s and only a dozen CBAs at the most, and Warner being in his first year. But they will eventually get to a point where all three can play full matches in the guts and go over and over. If they can learn how each other plays and can build a chemistry, and the supporting cast around them is large enough, then those three might just do the trick.

I say back our existing talent in. Give them more opportunities rather than more competition they'll have to contend with for midfield minutes. The future midfield will develop organically.

The midfield whinger is satisfied. Rant over!

If you could take off your blinders for a moment GUH you would see that JPK did that role very well this year. His composure and ball use was Hewett-like. You cannot mourn his departure while simultaneously dismissing the performance of the bloke who played the most like him this season.

I think that if JPK can back it up again for one more year then it can get us through to the point where Rowbottom and Warner can start to be the dominant forces in there.

It is unclear why you are rattling on about Kennedy. He is now a role player and is no longer a dominant force.

The belated selection of Mills into the mids and acquisition of Hickey made our midfield more competitive in 2021. Neither Hewett nor Kennedy made the Top Ten in the BnF which I found interesting.

Sure it is good to be optimistic about our young players and sure The Chad and Rowy have upside but I cannot see them becoming A graders, let alone a dominating elite midfielder. In different ways befitting their talents, I expect their ceiling to be B+ graders.

It is unclear why you are rattling on about Kennedy. He is now a role player and is no longer a dominant force.

The belated selection of Mills into the mids and acquisition of Hickey made our midfield more competitive in 2021. Neither Hewett nor Kennedy made the Top Ten in the BnF which I found interesting.

Sure it is good to be optimistic about our young players and sure The Chad and Rowy have upside but I cannot see them becoming A graders, let alone a dominating elite midfielder. In different ways befitting their talents, I expect their ceiling to be B+ graders.

JPK was dominant in a different way was my point. It was not a prolific, crash-and-bash, blow-up-the-stats-sheet kind of a year for him. But his composure, ball use and movement was bloody good. Equally as important as when he was the bull getting first hands to it.

As for the young guns, I am not sure how you can be putting such a ceiling on Rowbottom and Warner so early in their careers. They are great talents who I think could be anything. Why not give them time and see what they can make of themselves?

JPK was dominant in a different way was my point. It was not a prolific, crash-and-bash, blow-up-the-stats-sheet kind of a year for him. But his composure, ball use and movement was bloody good. Equally as important as when he was the bull getting first hands to it.

As for the young guns, I am not sure how you can be putting such a ceiling on Rowbottom and Warner so early in their careers. They are great talents who I think could be anything. Why not give them time and see what they can make of themselves?

If they make B+ that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back