Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

He went to the worst football club in recent times, and was lauded as the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Didn't particularly have the mindset, but let's not pretend he didn't have talent.
I would love to know if a Jack watts type came up today, if modern day recruiters would still have him number 1?

Or whether their scouting techniques and skills have advanced to the point where they'd identify more clearly the issues he would end up having in the game.

Gold pass confirmed. Can't be proven better until you're already in the team. And he'll always be one of at least 3 tall forwards picked, the 4th won't overtake him from the 2s. He's in all year no matter that he'll be cooked properly by round 6. His 8-10 touches with no ability for second effort or any defensive pressure will be so valuable because of leadership and stuff.

Nicks is quoted as saying:

"If a younger player who is 18 is good enough to push Tex out, then goodness me we’d be silly not to play that kid. At the moment that’s not happening."

"We’re not going to gift games, they have got to earn their spot."

So we're not going to "gift" games to young players who may not be at the same level as a veteran player right now, even if they have potential and talent. We will pick whoever is performing at the time and have no eye for the future

That's how hey shorty recjons you rebuild though. He's an astute mind, that's for sure. Likes to see the senior players front up injured to, he applauds the coaches for that.

Tex's form in the trial matches has been good but I fully expect him to regress back to the putrid garbage he was dishing out last year as soon as the season proper starts.

His body will show its brokendownedness, this is certain. Thommo's 2016 he averaged 30 touches rounds 1-5 or 6 and then about 21 rest of year as an 80% TOG full time midfielder. Tex will be the same in terms of output. His body is done, they killed it playing him injured so much.

I would love to know if a Jack watts type came up today, if modern day recruiters would still have him number 1?

Or whether their scouting techniques and skills have advanced to the point where they'd identify more clearly the issues he would end up having in the game.
Probably still would.

The large part of what they look for is still talent, and he came from a good family. At the time West Coast were pretty flat not to get him.

He was poorly coached, poorly developed and wasn't given the mindset coaching he needed. If almost anyone else had the number 1 that year he'd have ended up a very good player.

Gold pass confirmed. Can't be proven better until you're already in the team. And he'll always be one of at least 3 tall forwards picked, the 4th won't overtake him from the 2s. He's in all year no matter that he'll be cooked properly by round 6. His 8-10 touches with no ability for second effort or any defensive pressure will be so valuable because of leadership and stuff.
The rhetoric out of the club indicates that the powers that be (Riccuito) is angling for another contract for Walker. Nick's isn't stupid, he knows it's in his best interest to play Riccuito's best mate regardless of form.

Nick's statement on Sportsday Victoria that "Walker is our best forward and he is only 30, not 35" indicated to me that he is a protected species at the club, he will not be dropped regardless of form and will be given a contract extension. So a player that kicked 15 goals last year is our best forward? Doesn't say much about our squad does it if this is true which it most definitely isn't. Thilthorpe is already a better forward without even playing 1 game and so is Himmelberg based on the 2nd half of 2020 results. I'm sure there would be others if they were given a genuine opportunity. So in summary we have a Captain in Sloane and former captain in Walker that you can pigeonhole in for 22 games regardless of form.

Anyone who thinks Riccuito doesn't influence selection and by extension contracts and which young players leave the club looking for more opportunity due to his ineptitude and pandering to his mates are kidding themselves. Having this power in the hands of a moron is truly stupid.

The club spouting in the media that "Walker is still our best forward" and being proud about it is an indictment on trading and drafting at the club if it was true which it isn't. Instead of promoting a cooked past captain don't you think they should be promoting future stars who's best football is ahead of them? They really have no clue.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean he'd got a fair point, 30 isn't exactly old. If we actually try to manage him well he'll get 2 or 3 more years of decent footy. By which time both Fog (hopefully) and Thilthorpe will be consistent, dominant entities.

To say RT and Berg are already better forwards is not only wrong, it's incredibly disrespectful and moronic.

The rhetoric out of the club indicates that the powers that be (Riccuito) is angling for another contract for Walker. Nick's isn't stupid, he knows it's in his best interest to play Riccuito's best mate regardless of form.

Nick's statement on Sportsday Victoria that "Walker is our best forward and he is only 30, not 35" indicated to me that he is a protected species at the club, he will not be dropped regardless of form and will be given a contract extension. So a player that kicked 15 goals last year is our best forward? Doesn't say much about our squad does it if this is true which it most definitely isn't. Thilthorpe is already a better forward without even playing 1 game and so is Himmelberg based on the 2nd half of 2020 results. I'm sure there would be others if they were given a genuine opportunity. So in summary we have a Captain in Sloane and former captain in Walker that you can pigeonhole in for 22 games regardless of form.

Anyone who thinks Riccuito doesn't influence selection and by extension contracts and which young players leave the club looking for more opportunity due to his ineptitude and pandering to his mates are kidding themselves. Having this power in the hands of a moron is truly stupid.

Frampton's 2020 stats almost identical to Walker's and he relief rucked. Same with Fog. But we'd prefer to play a cooked 30 year old rather than prepare our next flag challenging side. And it's such a bullshit argument, his age is irrelevant, what matters is how worn his body is. Nicks should be smart enough to know that what you see after a summer in runners isn't what you'll get 6 games in. Last year he was being talked up as super fit and playing up the ground during the preseason. It's just more of what we've been used to under Pyke. At least Pyke was challenging or had a group that looked like it could challenge.

Groins aren't right, but we'll still have him doing all the same actions in the 2s. Just another excuse, there's always excuses.
I don't know the details of his injury, but obviously you can manage a bloke through a sanfl game where a win is secondary to game plan and development. AFL games you don't do that.

I mean he'd got a fair point, 30 isn't exactly old. If we actually try to manage him well he'll get 2 or 3 more years of decent footy. By which time both Fog (hopefully) and Thilthorpe will be consistent, dominant entities.

To say RT and Berg are already better forwards is not only wrong, it's incredibly disrespectful and moronic.
Interesting to read James Borlase’s comments after the internal trial. He stood Walker for a quarter and said he was given an absolute bath. That Walker was way beyond anyone else he stood that day.

He turns 31 next month.

2-3 more years is a big yikes

Has to retire at the end of the year

The club spouting in the media that "Walker is still our best forward" and being proud about it is an indictment on trading and drafting at the club if it was true which it isn't. Instead of promoting a cooked past captain don't you think they should be promoting future stars who's best football is ahead of them? They really have no clue.

Great conspiracy theory however I thought Nicks comments was spot on, the facts is Walker at present is still our best forward and a young player shoukd earn our spot

Walker had to earn his spot under Craig, why shouldn't the modern day young player be the same?

Lets look at the opposite side of the coin, McAsey and Jones are players we have played purely on potentional to get games into them and because they are not ready for AFL their development has suffered

Their is a balance to be struck between readiness, playing talent and earning your spot and at this stage stage Tex would be in my side as long as the weekend form holds true....

FWIW I did not hear Nicks guarantee Tex's spot in the 22, Lynch is the bigger concern for me

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He turns 31 next month.

He doesn't "have" to retire at the end of the year... certainly not if he can maintain the form he's shown during the pre-season. Granted, that's not a given.

He shouldn't be given any more multi-year contracts, but neither should he be pushed out the door on the basis of age. If he's still performing, and he wants to continue, then he should & will be given another contract.

Note that all of this is predicated on him continuing to perform at the required level. His performance in 2020 was well below the required level. 2021 is looking good so far, but it's still very early days.

He turns 31 next month.

Yeah it's hard to justify retaining past this year unless there is a real upswing of form.

31 is pretty old for a KPF.

Sounds like Doedee likely to play this weekend, but Crouch doubtful.

Would be hard to play either in round 1 if they miss again
You underestimate our determination to play experienced players.
Unfit? Can work their way back to fitness in the games
Out of form? Can work their way in to form in the games
Coming off a concussion and haven't played at all in the pre season? Can work their way back to fitness and form in the games

Great conspiracy theory however I thought Nicks comments was spot on, the facts is Walker at present is still our best forward and a young player shoukd earn our spot

Walker had to earn his spot under Craig, why shouldn't the modern day young player be the same?

Lets look at the opposite side of the coin, McAsey and Jones are players we have played purely on potentional to get games into them and because they are not ready for AFL their development has suffered

Their is a balance to be struck between readiness, playing talent and earning your spot and at this stage stage Tex would be in my side as long as the weekend form holds true....

FWIW I did not hear Nicks guarantee Tex's spot in the 22, Lynch is the bigger concern for me

And it was stupid at the time. Walker was clearly ready, yet had to 'earn' his stripes in the SANFL. We all hated it at the time.

S

Stop it mate, you're talking too much sense! This WILL not appease the 1970crow types at all

The Boo-Boys really do have control of our BigFooty threads during the off/pre-season, it makes for pretty depressing/cringe-worthy reading..

Our forward line will thrive, and has the talent to succeed, once the supply from Midfield is sorted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back