Training 2021 Pre-season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Word was that the session was brutal, and many players chucked. New coaches were awesome but Horse was very tough on the players. Anyone who missed their targeted two KM time by a margin got hammered. No names to protect the guilty. Basically the approach you would expect from a club that finished near the bottom last year and has urgency to address that.

I'm guessing Chad Warner couldn't have participated in the time trial.

Unless he did his time trial in the departure lounge at Perth Airport half an hour ago.

Word was that the session was brutal, and many players chucked. New coaches were awesome but Horse was very tough on the players. Anyone who missed their targeted two KM time by a margin got hammered. No names to protect the guilty. Basically the approach you would expect from a club that finished near the bottom last year and has urgency to address that.
No more Mr Nice Horse.

No wonder our kicking is so bad!! practising 2 meter kicks to stationary players.

Throughout the GWS zone their academies did this as a warm up drill. It was common at my own club too. It was seen as getting 30+ kicks of the footy in. So I assume it is common in general.

I must have been one of the only coaches at my club (when I was in WSyd) that didn’t really do it because I thought it was a waste of time.

The idea is that each player touches the footy at least 100 times during each training session. I had the boys about 15 m apart and they were to do the technically best kick they could do, focussing on the ball drop so that they practised good skills. But getting teenagers to concentrate and not do grubbers, checksides overheads and all the other kicks was the challenging part.

The idea is that each player touches the footy at least 100 times during each training session. I had the boys about 15 m apart and they were to do the technically best kick they could do, focussing on the ball drop so that they practised good skills. But getting teenagers to concentrate and not do grubbers, checksides overheads and all the other kicks was the challenging part.

Yep! Which is why I did short run through groups to keep them moving and focused (under 16/17).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was U12-14 so it was herding cats

You should try teaching a Kindy class. Even getting them walking in a straight line without them veering off into other classes can be a challenge :p

"Alright Swans, I need you all to form a single line and follow me"

"No, Parker this way, that is Essendon's line"

"Rampe, you got to be at the front of the line yesterday, it is Sinclair's turn"

You should try teaching a Kindy class. Even getting them walking in a straight line without them veering off into other classes can be a challenge :p

"Alright Swans, I need you all to form a single line and follow me"

"No, Parker this way, that is Essendon's line"

"Rampe, you got to be at the front of the line yesterday, it is Sinclair's turn"

"Dane, get down off that pole right now."

"Dane, no, we are following the path around the chains"

Backline and forward line looking very good going forward

Midfield not so
The midfield has potential to be very very good.

Rowbottom is going to a very handy player. Future captain material

Florent can gather the footy now, imo most elusive player in the comp but has to seriously either improve his kicking or his decision making

Campbell no doubt will be a star

Blakey has the attributes. Extremely skilled , extreme pace, highly aggressive. Needs to find the pill and build his confidence

Heeney is very capable but just depends on what the forward line looks like.

Yea the midfield needs to develop and that’s always a big if, but IMO Wer in a good spot

Florent can gather the footy now, imo most elusive player in the comp but has to seriously either improve his kicking or his decision making

Blakey has the attributes. Extremely skilled , extreme pace, highly aggressive. Needs to find the pill and build his confidence

Yea the midfield needs to develop and that’s always a big if, but IMO Wer in a good spot
[/QUOTE

To many ifs there

Florent tracking bust worthy and Heeney has far more impact in the front half

If I think five years down the track about who will be at our centre bounces, I have no idea who will be involved other than Rowbottom.

That's not a good spot. That's a potentially good spot. Also a potentially awful spot if it doesn't pan out like people think it will.

If I think five years down the track about who will be at our centre bounces, I have no idea who will be involved other than Rowbottom.

That's not a good spot. That's a potentially good spot. Also a potentially awful spot if it doesn't pan out like people think it will.
I agree with you, but I think we will have enough players to throw at the centre bounces to see what works.

I think it's a bit far fetched to think that we'll have no one to take the centre bounces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back