2021 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the big question after the all mighty, all important scratch match... who is winning a Brownlow this year, and whose career are we sticking a fork in?
Can I stick a fork in Buddy for NOT appearing?

Brownlow - Mills

Coleman - P.McCartin (after kicking 17 in two games at VFL level, he sensationally debuts for the Swans in round 4, kicking 6 against the hapless Bombers).

Fox sports rd 1. Pretty much agree...But want Justin McInerney in there when Hickey is fit enough to ruck a game with Reid as a chop out.

B: Lewis Melican, Dane Rampe, Braeden Campbell

HB: Jordan Dawson, Tom McCartin, Jake Lloyd

C: Ollie Florent, Luke Parker, Nick Blakey

HF: Isaac Heeney, Sam Reid, Will Hayward

F: Tom Papley, Logan McDonald, Callum Sinclair

FOLL: Tom Hickey, Josh Kennedy, Callum Mills

I/C: Dylan Stephens, Harry Cunningham, James Rowbottom, Errol Gulden

Melican McCartin Mills McDonald McCartin

MMMMM

Genuine chance too!

Our midfield of Morent, Mowbottom, Makey and Mephens will be exciting too. Although I don't know who will take the reins from Mickey in the ruck if Mamartey doesn't come on in that area.

Fox sports rd 1. Pretty much agree...But want Justin McInerney in there when Hickey is fit enough to ruck a game with Reid as a chop out.

Not sure about McDonald at the moment. Of course it depends on how he goes next week against GWS but I don't want to put him in the team before he is ready.

He has to be infront of Campbell, stephens and gulden IMO
In a different way.
He's got a sense of pizzazz.
Campbell has a sense of calm and measured. Its a cliche...but time slows down.
Gulden is composed and a bit intense. I rated his game.
Stephens is a funny one . I think he'll be a very good player once he fills out

Granted McInerney has not had an ideal preparation going into round 1 so I'd understand if Horse went against selecting him.

But we're jumping the shark a bit if suddenly Gulden, Campbell, Warner etc have leapfrogged him after some promising signs in a low-intensity scratch match.

In a different way.
He's got a sense of pizzazz.
Campbell has a sense of calm and measured. Its a cliche...but time slows down.
Gulden is composed and a bit intense. I rated his game.
Stephens is a funny one . I think he'll be a very good player once he fills out
I agree Donza. We brought in 5 players. 1 a CAT A in Sheather. The others we expect to debut this year
McDonald. With Bud out. Reid a bit fumbley, Amartey still a way off and McLean still a project, He should get early games.
Campbell. His kicking off halfback in the scratch match was impeccable. Has composure. Locked in for games.
Gulden. My favorite. No wraps on him. Too small. He came in and made a major turnaround in the game with his decision making and kicks. Set up goals.
Hickey is a big unit. Won some good taps to advantage. Crashed in when needed. We need a prescence around the ground.
Loved the second half recovery led by some younger blokes like Gulden etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Granted McInerney has not had an ideal preparation going into round 1 so I'd understand if Horse went against selecting him.

But we're jumping the shark a bit if suddenly Gulden, Campbell, Warner etc have leapfrogged him after some promising signs in a low-intensity scratch match.
The trickiest thing is that all of those would have different roles except perhaps Gulden.
Campbell doesn't have the tank yet and appears he's being aimed at half back.
Warner 100% inside mid.
McInerney is a winger or HHF. Gulden at this stage would most likely play that role too.

The trickiest thing is that all of those would have different roles except perhaps Gulden.
Warner 100% inside mid.
McInerney is a winger or HHF. Gulden at this stage would most likely play that role too.

I don't see a place for Campbell or Warner in the team. I don't see a place for Gulden either, as if it's between McInerney or Gulden then I'd be going McInerney every day of the week.

Not that I'm not excited to see Gulden, Campbell, Warner etc. But if they don't get a game this year then that's a good thing in my view. It means the youngsters we've already blooded in recent years - Florent, Ling, McCartin, Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Stephens etc - are maturing and holding down those roles.

Warner 100% inside mid.
They are all young. I suspect Caesar has a likening to McInerney. As do I.
But we have so many young players, injuries will occur, players will get selected out of position in some peoples minds.
But I think this is what a young developing side looks and acts like. You have to try players outside their comfort zone. Part of expanding their knowledge and versatility which is required these days. We need versatility. They need to learn skills to benefit the team in all circumstances. You dont just come in as a mid and expect to play mid. And be one dimensional.
Campbell, I think, has a long education ahead of him. I think they see him as a Sam Mitchell. Able to go anywhere and impact big games in the future. He needs to learn all those positions.
Gulden is more suited close to the action. Seems to have quick decision making and great kicks into the 50.
Warner loves the action. I was not sold on him last year. Underwhelming in his games. Loved his aggressive attack on the game in the last match. Looks to be intelligent and aggressive.

They are all young. I suspect Caesar has a likening to McInerney. As do I.
But we have so many young players, injuries will occur, players will get selected out of position in some peoples minds.
But I think this is what a young developing side looks and acts like. You have to try players outside their comfort zone. Part of expanding their knowledge and versatility which is required these days. We need versatility. They need to learn skills to benefit the team in all circumstances. You dont just come in as a mid and expect to play mid. And be one dimensional.
Campbell, I think, has a long education ahead of him. I think they see him as a Sam Mitchell. Able to go anywhere and impact big games in the future. He needs to learn all those positions.
Gulden is more suited close to the action. Seems to have quick decision making and great kicks into the 50.
Warner loves the action. I was not sold on him last year. Underwhelming in his games. Loved his aggressive attack on the game in the last match. Looks to be intelligent and aggressive.

Don't get me wrong I have high hopes for some of the kids who played on Saturday, especially Campbell and Gulden. But I think there's a case of shiny new toy syndrome when we're using small samples of promise shown in a meaningless scratch match to justify demoting quality youngsters like McInerney from the senior team.

Don't get me wrong I have high hopes for some of the kids who played on Saturday, especially Campbell and Gulden. But I think there's a case of shiny new toy syndrome when we're using small samples of promise shown in a meaningless scratch match to justify demoting quality youngsters like McInerney from the senior team.

I agree. We at last have the depth to return to Swans’ practice of giving new players a game in the seniors to find out the standard and then developing them in the ressies, although the apprenticeship may not be as long for those who have come through the Academy. The fact that our reserves will play in a significantly stronger comp is a real bonus.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree. We at last have the depth to return to Swans’ practice of giving new players a game in the seniors to find out the standard and then developing them in the ressies, although the apprenticeship may not be as long for those who have come through the Academy. The fact that our reserves will play in a significantly stronger comp is a real bonus.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes! This! I would love nothing more than to be able to return to the days where our kids wouldn't debut until at least half a season after being drafted. Or if they were to debut, it would be in a team full of experience. You can't gain experience if you keep rotating the youngsters in and out of the team like a relay.

I think it’ll be a bit ugly at first and the negative comments will creep (flood) in, but by round 6-7 we'll have clicked and be looking like a good unit.

These kids are alright. I 100% believe that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back