List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, and if Charlie came up short, you go & get a ready made and then you can still bring one through to develop in the background at the same time.
Tell Kingy this.. the moron thinks if Larkey doesn’t reach “star” potential then we have to start our re-build again 🤦‍♀️

Another really critical aspect of a rebuild is the ability to nail later picks. It’s one thing to nail your early picks (see Carlton 2016-18), but without some very clever later picks, it is a slow slow process.

Think we’ve shown the last few drafts that we are able to get quality in later in the draft, which is a big tick.

I agree.

If we were to land Kelly & Horne, then there's no more current "course"............."to stay", and we look at the trade markets.

I think we saw last year, that the “course” does include landing appropriate FAs & Trades.

What St.Kilda & Carlton have done is throwing big money at players that I don’t consider appropriate targets based on where their list is at.

Clayton literally just said on Twomeys podcast the Draft will continue to be our lifeline for the next few years. Kelly won’t change that IMO.

If we get Kelly & Horne then the only "watch" is Comben, and Noble strikes me as a coach that has no problems with going with just one KPF if he can get away with it.

Larkey showed again last night that he's going to at least be a high quality 2nd KPF once he gets stronger. X will also become a good AFL level contested mark.

If Charlie falters for whatever reason, then it's off to the trade market we go, because the midfield and everything else is already set, so you don't twiddle your thumbs for another 3-4 years waiting for a KPF to develop..
Id be looking to trade/free agency for another servicable KPF and probably another break glass KPD (perhaps a mature age from the state leagues)

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would rather have an abundance of talent on various positions and have to cut people- resulting in potential draft picks.
Vs holding out on drafting another key forward because comben may come good.

True, but it's never happened with Cunnington. My point it, we can't lock in anything. We're at the basement. Maybe a Kelly. But the draft and development must be the focus.

Cunners lays lots of tackles and is at the bottom of every pack. He does run defensively, but it's hard to keep up when you're doing the grunt work. I reckon it would be a bit unfair to expect the same level of 'two way running' from him compared to say someone playing Frog's role.

Another really critical aspect of a rebuild is the ability to nail later picks. It’s one thing to nail your early picks (see Carlton 2016-18), but without some very clever later picks, it is a slow slow process.

Think we’ve shown the last few drafts that we are able to get quality in later in the draft, which is a big tick.
So later picks are after the second round for the purposes of this:

2016 - CZ and Larks.
2017 - Hayden and X.
2018 - Taylor and Scott?? Dunno about this, Taylor definitely a later pick, Scott a F/S so doesn't really count. We traded in Atu Bosenavulagi as well last year.
2019 - No one. Or Matt McGuiness as a Cat B rookie. Traded in Lachie Young last year.
2020 - Eddie Ford and Patrick Walker.

It will be interesting to see how that all turns out.

True, but it's never happened with Cunnington. My point it, we can't lock in anything. We're at the basement. Maybe a Kelly. But the draft and development must be the focus.
Cunnington never getting there is pretty big on the club.. a long time ago do you remember Roos in the commentary box saying Cunners and Ziebell needed to increase their running or could never play in the midfield together.. and everyone lost their collective s**t around here..

That never changed, and now we’ve got Blakey and Roos at the club.. I wonder what their focus will be on for the next Gen?

Would almost argue that the talent at later picks can be better than those early guys who are picked due to hype.
Go into some late form and you might jump up the draft rankings.
Looking back on Pickett it seems like his hype train was 100% on point though.

Who are the big ticks that you are referring to

Who are the big ticks that you are referring to

I‘d say our picks after the top 30 are the ones we have to really nail to help fasttrack this rebuild. It’s an area that Carlton for example during their rebuild years, were unable to produce any real quality & I think contributes to their list position. The Dogs are a club that have been really good at this, as have Richmond.

It’s early days but I’d say that Larkey (Pick 70 odd) & Zurhaar (rookie) are our big ticks at this stage.

A bit of a watch and see on Taylor (Pick 40 odd), but has shown some really good signs. Xerri (Pick 70 odd) has been bookmarked by Luff as our future ruckman.

The 2019 draft will be a fascinating watch - Mahoney is developing really well, Perez would be a huge tick if not for injury & Comben is a wait and see (all picks in the 30s).

Lazzaro (Pick 36) was an excellent pick & I’m pretty bullish on Ford (Pick 50 odd).

If these guys come on, on top of our top end picks, things really start to take shape.

I‘d say our picks after the top 30 are the ones we have to really nail to help fasttrack this rebuild. It’s an area that Carlton for example during their rebuild years, were unable to produce any real quality & I think contributes to their list position. The Dogs are a club that have been really good at this, as have Richmond.

It’s early days but I’d say that Larkey (Pick 70 odd) & Zurhaar (rookie) are our big ticks at this stage.

A bit of a watch and see on Taylor (Pick 40 odd), but has shown some really good signs. Xerri (Pick 70 odd) has been bookmarked by Luff as our future ruckman.

The 2019 draft will be a fascinating watch - Mahoney is developing really well, Perez would be a huge tick if not for injury & Comben is a wait and see (all picks in the 30s).

Lazzaro (Pick 36) was an excellent pick & I’m pretty bullish on Ford (Pick 50 odd).

If these guys come on, on top of our top end picks, things really start to take shape.

I am also bullish about the group, but I hope you can see that "play the kids in the AFL to develop them" is a flawed policy.

We're currently carrying 3-4 in the AFL that would be better served in the seconds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am also bullish about the group, but I hope you can see that "play the kids in the AFL to develop them" is a flawed policy.

We're currently carrying 3-4 in the AFL that would be better served in the seconds.

ideally the play the kids notion would be give them a few games, go back to the twos to apply some of what they’ve learned rinse, repeat until they are ready, our injury situation stopped us from that but for the most part a lot of the kids have responded

ideally the play the kids notion would be give them a few games, go back to the twos to apply some of what they’ve learned rinse, repeat until they are ready, our injury situation stopped us from that but for the most part a lot of the kids have responded

In all honesty, I reckon only Scott, Powell & Mahony from the 20 & under group would have "earned" a call up this year if our list was batter balanced.

Think you’ve misunderstood my views a bit Snake. I feel like you just blanket everyone that has differing list management views as the “play the kids” brigade.

I’m big on playing kids that deserve a game. The first half of the year we basically gifted games to kids due to injury, with no one really banging down the door.

I much prefer what we’ve been able to do with the last few weeks now that we’ve got some senior heads back, which is make guys like Scott, Taylor, Lazz to earn their spots. Think the proof is in the pudding with how Scott and CT have played since returning to the side. Giving them the opportunity to go back to the VFL and work on their craft has been a luxury that we didn’t have earlier in the season.

It only helps the kids that are selected when they have a strong core of good senior players around them. Equally, those that perform at VFL level should be given opportunity.

I’ve never endorsed playing a 22 with 90% of them under 24. Without balance, it will only hurt their development.

Hate to know what he does when he’s having sex 😬
Falls over the bed, giving his partner a black eye by accidentally punching them, kicks the pillow out the window, then proceedes to “finish” on the floor well away from partner?
And somehow, touches “it” close to 15 times

I feel like Dow is down on confidence and under utilised at Carlton. Am interested in knowing if people see potential and what you think we would have to give up. I reckon we could get him for a steal (like Stephenson) and wood be fine offering him 400k x 4.

I feel like Dow is down on confidence and under utilised at Carlton. Am interested in knowing if people see potential and what you think we would have to give up. I reckon we could get him for a steal (like Stephenson) and wood be fine offering him 400k x 4.

1) I do see some potential
2) I doubt Carlton will let him go cheap considering their position. It's a bit like Billings & StKilda.

In all honesty, I reckon only Scott, Powell & Mahony from the 20 & under group would have "earned" a call up this year if our list was batter balanced.

yep probably, doesn’t preclude the others getting a taste and learning what they don’t know about top level footy

1) I do see some potential
2) I doubt Carlton will let him go cheap considering their position. It's a bit like Billings & StKilda.

billings is better than Dow, can’t see Dow commanding much at the trade table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back