2022 South Australian Election (March 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

They've tried to piggyback through their term opening new projects that Labor funded while losing their Parliamentary majority and having a no holds barred internal shitfight instead of governing. Their election policy seems to be hoping nobody noticed.
Sounds exactly like Baillieu/Napthine. Building Labor's projects, and stuffing up some horrendously, and no planning for the future beyond signing a billion dollar contract days out from a campaign. Marshall seems like a deer in the headlights, always on the backfoot.

For those in SA, how much has Morrison damaged the Lib brand there or is the election being based on purely state issues?

It says a lot that Morrison is staying away from SA. IIRC his last visit was a month ago when he made that "sh*tty" gaffe.

For those in SA, how much has Morrison damaged the Lib brand there or is the election being based on purely state issues?

It says a lot that Morrison is staying away from SA. IIRC his last visit was a month ago when he made that "sh*tty" gaffe.
Doesn't feel like it's having an impact. Perhaps with the Fed election due so soon after people will wait for that to hit Morrison rather than take it out on Marshall now. SA Liberals have done more than enough damage to their own brand without Scomo.

Is this a Napthine-type situation where no vision and endless scandals brings down a first term government?

SA is a state that cannot afford to stand still, let alone go backwards. They require a government that will act just to keep up.
I love my state, but we are certainly more reliant on state and federal government spending to keep our economy going than what the other states are. The fact is that we are consistently the poorest mainland state.

Whilst it wasn't a brillant government, I always felt that the Rann-Weatherill government had a vision and was always starting state/nation-building projects. Marshall has simply cut the ribbon on Labor projects, allowed the health system to deteriorate and privatised the trains so those pesky public servants can't ask for a pay rise. This government has done nothing to benefit me as a resident and worker.

All around my area, the Stobie poles are full of posters yelling 'REMEMBER LABOR CLOSED THE REPAT'. I don't care about the bloody Repatriation Hospital. It was closed because it was an old dump. I care about the hospital system as a whole, whether patients can be admitted when their ambulance arrives at the gate.

From what I hear, the bad smell of Morrison may have rubbed off on Marshall to a small extent. But the main issues are the disunity and constant parade of government scandals, ambulance ramping, people saying we shouldn't have opened the border and let covid-19 in, that living with covid was poorly planned out, and others saying we still have too many covid restrictions.

Last edited:

YouGov: 56-44 to Labor in South Australia​

The primary votes are Labor 41% (up two on Newspoll, and compared with 32.8% in 2018), Liberal 33% (down four and compared with 38%), Greens 11% (up one and compared with 6.7%) and others 15% (up one)
Steven Marshall on 46% approval and 48% disapproval and Labor’s Peter Malinauskas on 51% and 32%, with Malinauskas leading as preferred premier by 45-40

Fairly historic if it ends up anything like that. One-term governments are special enough, but they rarely get tossed out so violently.

That rump of semi-safe seats on 6-11% may end up cracking at this rate. Marshall himself would likely be gone.

I think the big item where Morrison is concerned is a lot of people felt we were rushing to open the borders and Marshall was simply doing what Morrison told him to do (there was even a stupid rumour I heard that Marshall was promised a run federally by doing it)

Didn't help that Omicron hit literally a week after the borders opened and Spurrier wanted to shut the borders again and Marshall said no, a lot of peoples XMAS/Holiday periods were wrecked by this (personally my daughter was in tears XMAS eve when we found out my wifes side of the family were in ISO so she wasn't going to see them)

A lot of people haven't forgotten this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the big item where Morrison is concerned is a lot of people felt we were rushing to open the borders and Marshall was simply doing what Morrison told him to do (there was even a stupid rumour I heard that Marshall was promised a run federally by doing it)

Didn't help that Omicron hit literally a week after the borders opened and Spurrier wanted to shut the borders again and Marshall said no, a lot of peoples XMAS/Holiday periods were wrecked by this (personally my daughter was in tears XMAS eve when we found out my wifes side of the family were in ISO so she wasn't going to see them)

A lot of people haven't forgotten this
Also when opening up the ‘we have to learn to live with it’ line was used. Then as expected there were cases and we did exactly the opposite which ruined Christmas for a lot of people. Conflicting messages don’t help.

Also when opening up the ‘we have to learn to live with it’ line was used. Then as expected there were cases and we did exactly the opposite which ruined Christmas for a lot of people. Conflicting messages don’t help.

Not forgetting people were waiting anywhere up to 12 hours in lines to get tested as well, it was crystal clear there was no plan when borders were reopened.

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 3.09.28 pm.png

Bill Hader Lol GIF by Saturday Night Live

Newscorp predicting a huge ALP win....so I suspect it might be close
The right wing faction of the Libs will be delighted by this which says more about them than anything else. In their pea brains it will be just more proof that pinkos like Marshall can't govern which is undeniably true but what they're offering won't find them in government again any time soon.

The right wing faction of the Libs will be delighted by this which says more about them than anything else. In their pea brains it will be just more proof that pinkos like Marshall can't govern which is undeniably true but what they're offering won't find them in government again any time soon.
Spot on.

Marshall was already under siege from the conservative pentecostals like Alex Antic and David Speirs who want the Liberals to be some sort of protector of the faith for conservative Christians:

If Marshall gets trounced on the weekend you can bet your bottom dollar these religious nutters will be doing all they can to drive the SA Libs into a sub branch of the pentecostals and they might even join forces with former shoppies union religious right Labor identities like Tom Kenyon and Jack Snelling.

Last edited:
Spot on.

Marshall was already under siege from the conservative pentecostals like Alex Antic and David Speirs who want the Liberals to be some sort of protector of the faith for conservative Christians:

If Marshall gets trounced on the weekend you can bet your bottom dollar these religious nutters will be doing all they can to drive the SA Libs into a sub branch branch of the pentecostals and they might even join forces with former shoppies union religious right Labor identities like Tom Kenyon and Jack Snelling.

More parallels with Napthine losing and the trajectory of the Vic Libs...

It's hardly a compelling reason to vote for Marshall, but I worry how much damage these nutjobs, unrestrained by the wets, manage to do when they inevitably fall into power.

Spot on.

If Marshall gets trounced on the weekend you can bet your bottom dollar these religious nutters will be doing all they can to drive the SA Libs into a sub branch of the pentecostals and they might even join forces with former shoppies union religious right Labor identities like Tom Kenyon and Jack Snelling.
Antic isn't a Pentecostal, he's just a dickhead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back