Strategy 2023 Fantasy Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looked at my round 1 team…

This Is Fine GIF by 100% Soft
2022 or 2023?

Chose the top Premo's ....Steele and Touk, who all proceeded to drop in price

Combined with the Dangerfield & Matt Crouch blunders, meant from R1, my side was draining cash, not making cash ....no cash, then slowed my upgrades .....this on top of having to fix my R1 side mistakes, meant I was always 3 weeks behind the leading sides

IMO the team strategy has to be based upon player value & availability of good Rookies .....this year, was definitely a year to go mid-price
Guns and Rooks was the correct call to go with just needed to get the right guns and rooks

I mean picking Mills/Bray etc as your guns over Steele and Touk to start with and making sure you nailed the correct rookies would have had people primed for a really good spot.

After that picking the right under priced premo players (Neale) and maybe a mid priced (Brodie) player to complement your Guns and Rooks.

Also been one hell of a year for injuries/suspensions/covid

Guns and Rooks was the correct call to go with just needed to get the right guns and rooks

I mean picking Mills/Bray etc as your guns over Steele and Touk to start with and making sure you nailed the correct rookies would have had people primed for a really good spot.

After that picking the right under priced premo players (Neale) and maybe a mid priced (Brodie) player to complement your Guns and Rooks.

Also been one hell of a year for injuries/suspensions/covid
I selected the right Rookies .....there's so much discussion on rooks these days, leading up to R1, it's getting harder to not get them, at least 80% correct

But the mistake was, being afraid of the "barnstormers" of the previous year, continuing, so I chose them ......and as Moiria's Magic said, hardly any of the previous top SP's hold their value initially

I selected the right Rookies .....there's so much discussion on rooks these days, leading up to R1, it's getting harder to not get them, at least 80% correct

But the mistake was, being afraid of the "barnstormers" of the previous year, continuing, so I chose them ......and as Moiria's Magic said, hardly any of the previous top SP's hold their value initially
It is a trap we all fall into most years. The fear of missing those sweet huge numbers gets us every time.

This was the first year i didn't pick either of the 2 most expensive mids and went with something different and it made my team feel so much better by having that 200k or so for other things.

I started Crae/Mills and Bray as my m1-3

Those beating themselves up for starting with Steele and Touk… bear in mind that nearly all the good teams have them right now, and neither of them are worth THAT much less than what they started at (both are still well over $920k). In particular, Steele getting injured just as he was coming good was something nobody could have foreseen.

Personally I’m not a fan of starting with the most expensive players, and that strategy has served me well for a while. But that doesn’t mean it always works.

Everyone who started with Mills looks like a genius now, but they didn’t after round 3 when he was averaging in the low 90s, or after round 5 when his average was still yet to hit 100 and he’d lost nearly $70k on his starting salary.

I guess all I’m saying is just be careful completely ditching a certain strategy just because it didn’t work this year. This season in particular has been a strange one for fantasy when a lot of the normal golden rules haven’t worked. Maybe that will continue, or maybe it’s just an outlier.

TL;DR… Don’t assume that because something worked this year that it will work next year.

Those beating themselves up for starting with Steele and Touk… bear in mind that nearly all the good teams have them right now, and neither of them are worth THAT much less than what they started at (both are still well over $920k). In particular, Steele getting injured just as he was coming good was something nobody could have foreseen.

Personally I’m not a fan of starting with the most expensive players, and that strategy has served me well for a while. But that doesn’t mean it always works.

Everyone who started with Mills looks like a genius now, but they didn’t after round 3 when he was averaging in the low 90s, or after round 5 when his average was still yet to hit 100 and he’d lost nearly $70k on his starting salary.

I guess all I’m saying is just be careful completely ditching a certain strategy just because it didn’t work this year. This season in particular has been a strange one for fantasy when a lot of the normal golden rules haven’t worked. Maybe that will continue, or maybe it’s just an outlier.

TL;DR… Don’t assume that because something worked this year that it will work next year.
he's using logic!

get him crowd GIF by South Park

This being my first year of doing Fantasy I learnt a lot of lessons and tips, which will help for next year.

My strategy for next year is trying to find more mid-pricers to fill the end spots in each line for my Round 1 side and not have too many rookies on field to start, and only have the best possible rookies to play and having enough money in the bank as well to ensure as much points as possible in the early part of the season, as that pretty much dictates your ranking

I'm going all mid price madness, there will be some great bargains next year.
  • Matt Rowell is in line for a 4th year breakout. Will be a bargain price too.
  • Elliott Yeo coming back, will have a midfield position.
  • Matt Crouch will be cheap, a new club, a must have.
  • Caleb Serong will take his game to a new level
  • Brodie Grundy will be too cheap not to select. Clearly a top 2 ruck.
  • We will have to start Laird at $1.1m
I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see Yeo in the backline next year with stints in the middle when needed. He looked at home down there and gave us much needed drive off the HBF which we severely lack. Could be a handy DPP type. Technically he should start with defence status next year with how much he played there to finish the season but we shall see

Tim Taranto (GWS Giants)
Rivals believe Jacob Hopper is the cleaner of the pair as they assess the academy product and inside mid Tim Taranto for trade potential.

But 24-year-old Taranto is a beast crying out to play inside midfield all season for a team like Richmond or Collingwood.
He has played a mix of midfield and half-forward in the past three years but in 2019 he averaged 104 SuperCoach points, 28 disposals and 11 contested disposals playing an 87-13 midfield forward split.

He had 26 possessions and a goal in the prelim against Collingwood and 30 in the grand final loss to Richmond.

He is a known product with a best-and-fairest in a team that made a Grand Final.

The Tigers gave up pick 6 for Gold Coast’s Dion Prestia (the clubs also swapped second-rounders).
Put it this way – if a team gives up a top-10 selection for Taranto they are unlikely to regret it down the track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Taranto (GWS Giants)
Rivals believe Jacob Hopper is the cleaner of the pair as they assess the academy product and inside mid Tim Taranto for trade potential.

But 24-year-old Taranto is a beast crying out to play inside midfield all season for a team like Richmond or Collingwood.
He has played a mix of midfield and half-forward in the past three years but in 2019 he averaged 104 SuperCoach points, 28 disposals and 11 contested disposals playing an 87-13 midfield forward split.

He had 26 possessions and a goal in the prelim against Collingwood and 30 in the grand final loss to Richmond.

He is a known product with a best-and-fairest in a team that made a Grand Final.

The Tigers gave up pick 6 for Gold Coast’s Dion Prestia (the clubs also swapped second-rounders).
Put it this way – if a team gives up a top-10 selection for Taranto they are unlikely to regret it down the track.
Surry no one is trading for Hopper over Timmy? That quote sounds like it’s coming from Richmond or Collingwood to drive the price of TT down lol

Surry no one is trading for Hopper over Timmy? That quote sounds like it’s coming from Richmond or Collingwood to drive the price of TT down lol

Yeah - we'll have the guy that might, one day, potentially get to be as good as the other guy available at the same time.....

Crows would love to have Hopper .....we have enough "scrubby" kicks in the side already, with Keays

Reckon Taranto is suited to RICH ....like a hand in glove

Taranto will be one of my first picked if he goes to another club forward/mid yes please

Gawn if Jackson leaves is a bargain, Grundy if he goes to GWS

Phillips if they get a competent coach

Chesser at D6

I'm going all mid price madness, there will be some great bargains next year.
  • Matt Rowell is in line for a 4th year breakout. Will be a bargain price too.
  • Elliott Yeo coming back, will have a midfield position.
  • Matt Crouch will be cheap, a new club, a must have.
  • Caleb Serong will take his game to a new level
  • Brodie Grundy will be too cheap not to select. Clearly a top 2 ruck.
  • We will have to start Laird at $1.1m
Although I don't disagree with you, and they're all valid points...

Other than the last bullet point, aren't the rest what was being said about 2022?... and look how that turned out...

I really wish they'd overhaul the price system.

Its sort of frustrating players are $1M+ to start the year, and 'elite premos' are ~ $900-950k+.

By seasons end it's shifted to around $800-$900 for elite premos. and the top shelf (other than a laird blinder) are $900-$950k.
The more rookies that play and take money out of the overall budget, the lower the number goes. It seems like a really backward system.
What benefit is there to it over say 120average = $1M, 100average = 850k. 90 average is 700k. etc etc. Just a linear relationship between average and price.

Players seem to drop in price more savagely in the back end of the year with a dip in form for 2-3 games.

There's little reward or merit in picking the top priced players start of the year is what I guess I'm trying to say.

Maybe you take 1 just for a captain option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back