Preview 2023 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Never like disagreeing with you because I trust your judgements, but I think they will will find a way to give Dempsey 5-6 games - or, a better way if saying it, he will earn a decent chunk of time in the ones because he can do things others can't.
I rewatched the Essendon round 1 match last night. Almost shocked to see Higgins playing, and Sav as 1st ruck.

There will be shots to take for them

Of all of these, Simpson getting back his touch is probably my favourite, even if these are just rumours.

Honestly didn't think he'd go again after the last 2 years he's had and where'd he be now in the pecking order, but I think people forget some of the games he played in 2020 - he was easily best 22.
He was looking like he was really going to be something special in 2021 and I still think even with how our gamestyle has changed he has a spot in the middle. So if he can get up and going, I don't think the MC has forgotten he offers a different gear for us to use in the midfield.

There is a lot of midfield competition, but he was massive in that PF in 2020.

I rewatched the Essendon round 1 match last night. Almost shocked to see Higgins playing, and Sav as 1st ruck.

There will be shots to take for them

We have much better depth than we did last year though.
That said i do agree generally that kids who dominate in the 2s will be rewarded with some games and dempsey could be that. I still dont think he will be a regular until 2024 though as we have a lot of competition for spots in that forwardline.

He was looking like he was really going to be something special in 2021 and I still think even with how our gamestyle has changed he has a spot in the middle. So if he can get up and going, I don't think the MC has forgotten he offers a different gear for us to use in the midfield.

There is a lot of midfield competition, but he was massive in that PF in 2020.
Decided to watch the PF again, Q1 so far and he was very good, always flashing through the ball up, looking for the palm down. :thumbsu:

He doesn't seem fast not physical, but I'm wondering if maybe he could be a Duncan sort of player.

I did tell all of you tanner will be in the best side this year and will be a very good pickup and i stand by that.

I dont think sav and sdk can get in the same side unless henry plays fwd while hawk is out (possible but not what i do) or no kolo. So i think sav will be backup. But hes no dummy this is his 7th year in the system he needs to be killing it at vfl level so another club will come for him in a trade so he has motivation to perform.

Dempsey wont get a game this year unless he unseats rohan (which he would need to improve defensively a lot to do) but i expect lots of retirements end 23 so a good year in the vfl and i can see him being best 23 in 2024.

Great to hear simpson is doing well...hes definitely afl standard-i cant see how he unseats stengle/close/miers and our mids are stacked but hes good depth to have at vfl level and good injury cover.
unless the cats make sav into an intercept defender like lever or someone. they also have to realize that stewart never plays 22 games a season and will have to think about their future. his skills arent there yet by foot unfortunately

unless the cats make sav into an intercept defender like lever or someone. they also have to realize that stewart never plays 22 games a season and will have to think about their future. his skills arent there yet by foot unfortunately
.... the only year Stewart has played less than 20 games was 2020... where he played every game just about.....

Referring to the coaching group as the cats too.....

Are you.... from around here?

Have you told Stewart that...

1673699849270.png

.... the only year Stewart has played less than 20 games was 2020... where he played every game just about.....

Referring to the coaching group as the cats too.....

Are you.... from around here?
in 2022 he played 17 games. if you exclude suspension then sure. but why couldnt they develop him into that? just an idea

Stewarts replacement based on what we have seen this year is Zuthrie. Would imagine he takes over the role when Stewie retires. They worked well in a tandom this year, and Zuthries best games where when he was doing the Stewart role.

Stewarts replacement based on what we have seen this year is Zuthrie. Would imagine he takes over the role when Stewie retires. They worked well in a tandom this year, and Zuthries best games where when he was doing the Stewart role.

100% agree. i loved seeing zuthries cheeky 45 degree kicks into the corridor to open our run. for only 50 something games i think his potential is really high

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Of all of these, Simpson getting back his touch is probably my favourite, even if these are just rumours.

Honestly didn't think he'd go again after the last 2 years he's had and where'd he be now in the pecking order, but I think people forget some of the games he played in 2020 - he was easily best 22.

Simpson....can play that boy, injuries have slowed his progress, but I reckon he's got to be in the mix deep. Obviously we'll need someone to stand in because of Joel's retirement and Simpson is talented and tough as they come.
I just reckon we've got a fantastic list atm, barring to many injuries the list looks awesome.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah sav is good in the air but his footskills are a weakeness. Which is why you wouldnt play all of him kolo and henry when you have guys like stewart tuohy duncan zuthrie etc (eg the better ball users) plus bews in the backline.

Simpson....can play that boy, injuries have slowed his progress, but I reckon he's got to be in the mix deep. Obviously we'll need someone to stand in because of Joel's retirement and Simpson is talented and tough as they come.
I just reckon we've got a fantastic list atm, barring to many injuries the list looks awesome.

Simpsons issue is while his decision making is great im not sure he offers as much defensive pressure as stengle/close/miers and i think tanner holmes and bowes will be ahead of him for midfield spots. But id be happy to see him get a run.

I did tell all of you tanner will be in the best side this year and will be a very good pickup and i stand by that.

Any specifics as to why? People go mute whenever I ask this question.

CHAWKTS said he was showing something... Not one specific as to what though.

At least he said a few things that Dempsey actually had done... and if he is taking strong contested marks willy-nilly and kicking goals on Stewart then maybe there's more of a chance of us finding a spot for him than I initially thought this year.

Last edited:
in 2022 he played 17 games. if you exclude suspension then sure. but why couldnt they develop him into that? just an idea
He played 20 and that's with being suspended. He'll play basically every game.

You're not addressing the crux of my post though. This account feels like a burner. Hawthorn?

I too am very excited if Simpson is back near his best. A future midfield containing all Bruhn, Bowes, Holmes, and Simpson is a very exciting prospect. That's not even counting the guys who've only played a handful or less AFL games.
I think Simpson is one that could balance the midfield. He isn't the contested beast with but we've recruited Bruhn and Clarke to go with Willis, Parfitt etc.

We have guys that can feed Simpson to ball in enough space that he sets up the 3rd disposal in the chain to be the undefendable one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back