Preview 2023 Semi Final - Carlton vs Melbourne Friday 15th September 7.50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Kennedy
OUT: Jack Martin (suspension), Harry McKay (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsMatthew Cottrell
Half-forwards:Sam DochertyTom De KoningMatthew Owies
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:David CuninghamGeorge HewettMatthew Kennedy
Caleb Marchbank
Emergencies:Paddy DowSam DurdinZac Fisher
Ollie Hollands

Agree, can't any unforced changes for the rest of this year. We're not going to adjust the team to suit opposition lineups, unless a fringe player has maybe 2 poor games. We don't need Marchy this week, but can't see him Fog or Cunners getting dropped.

Since we started winning, we have played a backline of 3 talls (Weiters, Kemp and one of Gov/Marchbank) in 9 of the 11 games. 3 of the others have been constant - Saad, Cinc and Newman. The other spot has rotated between Boyd and Fisher, with Cowan playing the WC game.

The 2 games where we went with 4 talls were Collingwood and last week versus Sydney. That suggests that last week we adjusted the team to suit the opposition, so why wouldn't we potentially adjust back to what we have predominantly done? Maybe the MC do prefer that taller structure, but there isn't enough evidence to know.

We don't need to drop a tall, because of the holes we have up forward. It will be interesting to see what we do.

Hollands should be sub.

Inject him into a game later on as fresh legs and he'll be running twice as hard as anyone else in the last quarter when we need it.

I see this the opposite.

No point putting in your best runners as sub. Their whole advantage is that they can keep going stronger for longer.

The guys with the least endurance (but can run out a quarter) are the best ones to use as a late tactical sub. That probably means poor Paddy Dow gets the nod again.

Think about this (from a pure fitness perspective), what would you rather? Hollands for 3/4 and Dow for the last. Or Dow for 3/4 and Ollie for the last? I pick the former.

Last edited:
51 hours out from the first bounce… How are we feeling, baggers?

I’m sh***ing bricks to be honest. Because I think we’re good enough to go all the way and I’m incredibly scared at the thought of looking back and thinking “what if”.

when you have put in the amount of work everyone at the club has, you cant help but go out there thinking ****ed if we are losing this.

I’m sh***ing bricks to be honest. Because I think we’re good enough to go all the way and I’m incredibly scared at the thought of looking back and thinking “what if”.
I thought we would win last week and feel the same this week.

From a few conversations I have had, the Melbourne supporters are less confident than we are.

Excited.
Melbourne is showing signs of anxiety and have no simple solution to their forward line issues.
I don't think we have much to loose ... just hope the players don't think their job is done because we won a final which looked unlikely two months ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The anticipation has been building steadily all week. I really do think our boys are going to come out and throw absolutely everything at Melbourne. Charlie rarely has multiple quiet games in a row.

Defensively we need to lock down on Fritsch and Pickett. They’re the two that Melbourne will be relying on for a lot of their scoring. Cincotta has done well on Pickett in the two encounters this year. Newman or Saad could take that match up too. One of McGovern, Kemp or Marchbank will need to take care of Fritsch.

The Charlie vs May match up will be pivotal but we also want to nullify Lever from impacting as the third up. For me, that’s a job for JSOS if fit or potentially Kennedy if not. The smalls in the front half - Fog, Mots, Owies, Cunners, Cotts - really need to get to work and impact the scoreboard this week. Goals will be at a premium in what I expect will be a very tightly contested, defensive game.

Optimistic we can get the result if we bring our pressure and convert when we get the chance.

The anticipation has been building steadily all week. I really do think our boys are going to come out and throw absolutely everything at Melbourne. Charlie rarely has multiple quiet games in a row.

Defensively we need to lock down on Fritsch and Pickett. They’re the two that Melbourne will be relying on for a lot of their scoring. Cincotta has done well on Pickett in the two encounters this year. Newman or Saad could take that match up too. One of McGovern, Kemp or Marchbank will need to take care of Fritsch.

The Charlie vs May match up will be pivotal but we also want to nullify Lever from impacting as the third up. For me, that’s a job for JSOS if fit or potentially Kennedy if not. The smalls in the front half - Fog, Mots, Owies, Cunners, Cotts - really need to get to work and impact the scoreboard this week. Goals will be at a premium in what I expect will be a very tightly contested, defensive game.

Optimistic we can get the result if we bring our pressure and convert when we get the chance.
Can’t see us losing this one.

Fritsch and Pickett will be well held.

We will beat them out of the middle, have more run & our forward line is very effective playing small.

SOS, Motts in

Dow to sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back