austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I couldn't see one of these on our board yet, and the one on the main board is boring, so I thought I'd stimulate discussion here. I decided to copy and paste my predo from the main board. Apologies for lack of faith, usually I am optimistic but lately...

Unless we get a decent plan for transitioning from midfield into forwards I see a step back before a step forward for us.

1 Melbourne - Premiers
2 Geelong - GF

Gonna be one of the best GFs of recent years, tough and tight between these two

3 Fremantle
4 Carlton

Two strong up and comers who should find maturity and consistency

5 Collingwood

Got a strong 2nd year hangover vibe with Fly's Surprise Pies in 23. Seems like there will be some player turnover too which means a clean slate. Rate Fly and Leppa highly but a minor step back before big push in coming years.

6 Gold Coast

The big headline. Contingent on Dew actually being a decent coach, which he seems capable of being. So much firepower and they will momentum for a while. Ben King will destroy teams (as would his brother if he could bloody kick straight and had decent service). Will be enjoyable to watch.

7 Port Adelaide

Slowly building, they started so poorly in 22 but have plenty of character and talent

8 Brisbane

Having to panic-buy a new coach will ultimately cost them, but they are too strong to completely sink, although I'm not too confident they'll make the 8.
========
9 Richmond

Transition year ahead before rising again.

10 Adelaide

Similar to their SA rivals, they are building a decent squad and will push for the 8.

11 Sydney

That GF will rock belief and I think they are in for a transition year too, but I can't be too confident that this club will ever really drop away.

12 Bulldogs

Something's not right here and I expect Bevo to depart at the end of the season. Strange brew, the whole club.

13 St Kilda

Well s**t. I just don't believe our current game plan is any good, our coach hadn't really convinced and our list is teetering. Won't be truly terrible but will continue to disappoint.

14 West Coast

They won't be as awful as they were but not a whole lot better. Rebuild mode will start with Simpson moving back to Vic at the end of the season.

15 Essendon

Just a pure rabble, but will trick their supporters into thinking they are going places for a couple of fleeting moments.

16 Hawthorn

Just don't see it with these guys.

17 GWS

Rebuild ground zero but without the support of more established teams, a bleak winter awaits.

18 North Melbourne

Oh gawd. Nightmare season. Good luck.

Coleman: B King
Brownlow: Serong
Coach of the year: Dew
Norm Smith: Oliver
North Melbourne coach: Leigh Adams (interim)
Essendon coach: Yze
Brisbane coach: R Lyon
Sacked coaches: Ratten, Simpson, Beveridge

Last edited:
I couldn't see one of these on our board yet, and the one on the main board is boring, so I thought I'd stimulate discussion here. I decided to copy and paste my predo from the main board. Apologies for lack of faith, usually I am optimistic but lately...

Unless we get a decent plan for transitioning from midfield into forwards I see a step back before a step forward for us.

1 Melbourne - Premiers
2 Geelong - GF
3 Fremantle
4 Carlton
5 Collingwood
6 Gold Coast
7 Port Adelaide
8 Brisbane
========
9 Richmond
10 Adelaide
11 Sydney
12 Bulldogs
13 St Kilda
14 West Coast
15 Essendon
16 Hawthorn
17 GWS
18 North Melbourne

Coleman: B King
Brownlow: Serong
Coach of the year: Dew
Norm Smith: Oliver
North Melbourne coach: Leigh Adams (interim)
Essendon coach: Yze
Brisbane coach: R Lyon
Sacked coaches: Ratten, Simpson, Beveridge
Wow, huge response

How to tell me you've got me on ignore without telling me you've got me on ignore
lol

What do you think 2023 will look like for Ryan Byrnes? Seemed to have decent VFL form this year but can’t hold a place in the AFL team.

What do you think 2023 will look like for Ryan Byrnes? Seemed to have decent VFL form this year but can’t hold a place in the AFL team.
I'd imagine it's a make or break year for him. I think he'll make it if he's given enough chances, but we need to be patient. Under Lenny Hayes's tutelage and the right attitude, he may surprise a few.

He was given a few chances this year but came up short, many Saints fans are skeptical about his chances, but not me.

Ok ...

Saints start off slow, narrowly losing their first 8 games, then go on a rampaging 11 game winning streak, before a late season wobble sees them sneak into the 8 courtesy of a Max King "hit the post" from 5m out in the final round ... Final record 12-10 but percentage of 122

Before week 1 of the finals, the other 17 teams are struck down by a new super-variant of COVID, which subsequently rips through their top-up players through the prelims, leaving no healthy mens team for the Grand Final. Seeing an opportunity to perpetrate the best-ever screwjob on St Kilda, the league puts the 7 finals teams into a hat, and draws out a name, stating that the AFLW team for that club will play the GF ...

St Kilda end up playing the Fremantle AFLW team in the grand final, suffering a 37-5 free kick count against them, and lose by a point after Max King hits the post from 17m out with a minute to play ...

(Now, tell me that ANYTHING we're likely to see in 2023 won't be worse than THAT! :eek: )

Saints will trade future first for another first this year and take two of McKenzie,Tsatsis, the poo or Busslinger.
Next year trade the following future first for Finn Callaghan from GWS and maybe a second for Chesser from WCE
Going into 2024 trade period being unable to trade another first pick they will pick up B King as a free agent

° Jack Hayes gets in the AA squad of 40
° Billings, Ross, Jones, Butler and Hill in and out of the team as the youth push through and Lyon holds players to some standard (Harsh on Ross as he was bloody good last season).
° Roma embarrasses Gawndy as he continues to thrive as the sole ruckman
° Clark and Sinclair become first choice midfielders along with Steele and Crouch.
° Gresham averages 2 goals a game and 20 disposals for the season playing more fwd than mid.
° Howard repeatedly dragged for attempting to take kick outs, going against RTB strict instructions.
° Jack Lonie picked up in the mid season draft after everyone realises he was probably a bit better than Butler after all.

I'd imagine it's a make or break year for him. I think he'll make it if he's given enough chances, but we need to be patient. Under Lenny Hayes's tutelage and the right attitude, he may surprise a few.

He was given a few chances this year but came up short, many Saints fans are skeptical about his chances, but not me.
I was one who was really pumping him up back in the hub year but he just hasn't really improved , panics under pressure , not a strong tackler and has no depth with his kicking, i doubt he is at the club next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was one who was really pumping him up back in the hub year but he just hasn't really improved , panics under pressure , not a strong tackler and has no depth with his kicking, i doubt he is at the club next year
+1.

Was a fan too. Byrnes & Allison I’m hesitant on

I’ve still got faith in Byrnes. His VFL form was up there with Windhager and Owens’ and was stuffed around a lot by being the sub that got unused a lot. Super quick as well and dual sided, hoping for a big year from him.

+1.

Was a fan too. Byrnes & Allison I’m hesitant on

Byrnes had 5 games as an unused medical sub this year so that wouldn't have helped his year. Seems capable enough to be in the top 30 range but I doubt he's gonna make some sort magical leap to automatic starting 22 selection.

They extended Allison's contract till the end of 2024 so they must be seeing something. I'm still very hopeful that he'll develop into a player.

People bemoan the fact that Battle's development was hindered because they didn't let him play in a set position. Well the same applies to Allison - from what I can see at various times he's played as a deep forward, high mobile hf, winger, defensive half back and just as a plain defender - and sometimes in the same game.

Bit wet here yesterday so I watched a VFL game where both he and Max Heath did OK.

Allison played as deep deep forward alongside Max Heath and Chris Carey - barely got a touch in the first half but then they played him as a mobile CHF position and he played really well in the second half. Ended up with a heap of marks and a couple of goals. Definitely needs to bulk up a bit but there's more than enough to work with and its still a bit early to write him off completely

As for Max Heath -I think he kicked 3 and rucked pretty well so I'm certain he'll debut next year and end up playing a few games.

Our list is lacking a lot of depth, drops off dramatically after about 8-12.
Ross will need every bit of his 4 year contract to build his list.
If we had an absolute perfect run with injuries we could have made as high as 7th to 8th.
We haven't had such luck with injury even before the year kicks and to our biggest weakness, the forward line.

So I'm thinking bottom 6 in 23

Our list is lacking a lot of depth, drops off dramatically after about 8-12.
Ross will need every bit of his 4 year contract to build his list.
If we had an absolute perfect run with injuries we could have made as high as 7th to 8th.
We haven't had such luck with injury even before the year kicks and to our biggest weakness, the forward line.

So I'm thinking bottom 6 in 23
You've been paying too much attention to the media.

I think we have been patient enough , its not like he is 6'6 and needs time , with our recent drafting he is in all sorts of trouble and that's coming from the bloke who was all over him 3 years ago but he just hasn't improved since

His problem is between the ears though. I think Hotton will take his place going forward.

I think we have been patient enough , its not like he is 6'6 and needs time , with our recent drafting he is in all sorts of trouble and that's coming from the bloke who was all over him 3 years ago but he just hasn't improved since
Can't question his work ethic but he just lacks the skills. Even in the VFL he looks messy and makes questionable decisions with his disposal.

I'm confident ... but I'm always confident at this time of the year (except for last year)

I think the off-field changes will make the difference. The injuries aren't as bad as everyone is making out.

If all goes to plan we could finish as high as 5th, if things go balls up... then I don't think we will finish lower than 10th.

Bring it on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back