VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Our midfield is average?

I’d hate to see below average.

No Konstanty is a bit of a worry.
Konstanty potentially shin soreness again, like at the start of the year. Our pre seasons might be a bit tough on some, seeing as Campbell and Gulden had the same. But I wouldn't be concerned if that's the case, given their progress a couple of years later.

If ever there was a week to give Gould a run in a different position, this is it. With Tommy McCartin, Harry Arnold, Will Edwards and Robbie Fox all named in the team and available to play down back, I would rather see Gould trialled somewhere else. Mids? Forward?? Anything. Give it a go.

If ever there was a week to give Gould a run in a different position, this is it. With Tommy McCartin, Harry Arnold, Will Edwards and Robbie Fox all named in the team and available to play down back, I would rather see Gould trialled somewhere else. Mids? Forward?? Anything. Give it a go.
I agree. If the club has decided he's not a viable option at the top level as a defender after 3 years on our list, then let's try him forward - we've been short there all VFL season anyway. I say he could be used in a Jake Stringer type role - predominantly forward with some bursts at stoppages. At worse, he sucks at this in a VFL team which is no chance for finals, at best he excels and we all wonder why it wasn't tried earlier.

I agree. If the club has decided he's not a viable option at the top level as a defender after 3 years on our list, then let's try him forward - we've been short there all VFL season anyway. I say he could be used in a Jake Stringer type role - predominantly forward with some bursts at stoppages. At worse, he sucks at this in a VFL team which is no chance for finals, at best he excels and we all wonder why it wasn't tried earlier.
Because he's not that good , gawd the love for him on social media for 2 years was mind boggling

Good to see Tom back.

Can't help but look at the scoreboard in round four with us 4 goals in front of Port in the second quarter and Tom follows his brother off the ground with concussion, as a huge turning point in the season.
After the 50 point loss to Melbourne you mean? ;)

Cadsky hit the nail on the head here with the exposure of the game being so much greater than NSW. Additionally, a big wave of Victorians have moved up to South East Queensland over the past decade; Victorians who grew up loving AFL, and naturally, bringing that love to the Queensland region; working hard behind the scenes, even at local club level to produce a greater culture and a more proactive club environment that engages with the community that makes it a more attractive destination for people wanting to be involved in the community and in sport.

Being one of those Victorians; I found it so much easier to get involved in the State system and because I have a strong passion for the game, it has made it easier to promote the game through key channels and inspire interest in the standard of the game around the country where a number of mates down south have taken the bait, moved up and been involved in the game..

Queensland at present is one of the, if not the fastest growing State for new participation in AFL over the past five years.. especially with COVID.

COVID did AFL a favour in Queensland, not just for having a major hub for AFL clubs up here (it did help); but play was only suspended for a brief time and for a long while; the State league competition was the main source of AFL viewing for much of the country, external to the AFL.. the main AFL states couldn't attend or be involved in VFL and local footy; so more eyes were on the Queensland product and that stimulated a high growth of engagement and participation during and following COVID.

Well done, Chris. Good to hear you’re doing well up there and your hard work is being rewarded.

I’ve never been to SEQ, do they play footy in the mud and snow up there?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am looking forward to seeing McCartin and Arnold as a defensive partnership. I am guessing Arnold could potentially develop into a 2nd tall defender who can lockdown as well as intercept a bit.

So interested to see how they work together in a VFL defence that will be under frequent pressure.

I am looking forward to seeing McCartin and Arnold as a defensive partnership. I am guessing Arnold could potentially develop into a 2nd tall defender who can lockdown as well as intercept a bit.

So interested to see how they work together in a VFL defence that will be under frequent pressure.
With Fox as a third and Rankin as a small? Plus Gould? Not to mention Edwards.

COLLINGWOOD vs SYDNEY SWANS

Saturday 24 June, 10:05am, AIA Centre

SYDNEY SWANS
B:
W. Edwards (28), T. McCartin (30), W. Gould (17)
HB: L. Rankin (41), H. Arnold (38), R. Fox (42)
C: C. Mitchell (35), C. Warner (37), J. Tidemann (63)
HF: H. Hall-Kahan (45), R. Clarke (4), J. Magor (32)
F: R. Fitzroy (68), J. Buller (47), C. Owen (40)
R: L. McAndrew (46), N. Shipley (52), D. Stephens (3)
INT: O. Davis (66), C. Webster (62)*, J. Bartholomaeus (53), H. Morrison (55), T. Longmire (58)
EMG: M. Geddes (61), M. Velthuis (60), E. Grace (65), Ham. Morrison (64)

IN: J. Buller, O. Davis, R. Fitzroy, R. Fox, T. McCartin, N. Shipley, J. Tidemann, C. Webster
OUT: J. Brown (concussion), J. Endemann (jaw), C. Vickery (injured), J. Konstanty (managed), C. Cleary, T. Gander, I. Kirk, M. Rider

Swans full back Tom McCartin will play only his second match since being concussed in the AFL in Round 4, with the club deciding he needs to regain some match fitness with a VFL debut, while Robbie Fox has also been selected but is a likely AFL substitute candidate.

Mid-season draftee Jack Buller boosts the forward line after getting a taste of the top level and Nick Shipley returns from a serious hamstring injury, with Jacob Konstanty rested, Cooper Vickery injured and the four Swans Academy boys coming out of the team.

The Magpies have named Jack Ginnivan, Beau McCreery and Billy Frampton, with the latter two to debut in the VFL should they play, while Reef McInnes was dropped and mature-age draftee Joe Richards returns from a 10-week hamstring injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back