2024 Membership Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re ticket scanning -

IF you save your ticket to your Apple Wallet or Google Wallet, it removes the barcode/QR code and turns your ticket into an NFI ticket

You just have to hold to up to the ticket scanner for it to register your ticket

It's the same way that other digital passes work in your digital wallets such as Woolworths Rewards card or digital card where you tap on the screen rather than scanning a barcode, or even say Myki where you tap on the screen to register

It's the system in use at Marvel Stadium - not sure about the MCG as I didn't get there for cricket this year

Also, IF you don't add your digital ticket to your digital wallet and just view it in the app, then it'll have a barcode & a blue light moving back & forth - it's a safety feature called a "live barcode". It refreshes the barcode every few minutes to minimise counterfeit opportunities or scalpers who sell multiple copies of the same ticket & only the first person to get to the venue gets in. That's why you can't take screenshots of barcoded tickets to use to get in
This sounds like it would be a lot easier without kids, having multiple tickets in the wallet (and all the tix looking the same with info only on the backside) will be a PITA at the gate/area entry. I contacted the club multiple times this week to ask if the purchased lanyards will get the holder into the Social Club or just entry through the gates. Four different people plus three on the phone and they still couldn't give me a straight answer.

FYI to anyone at least going in to the Selwood Stand tomorrow, I downloaded the ticket thing for entry to training Monday, and it is the tap situation now, not scanning a barcode.. and I absolutely fumbled through it because I wasn't sure if I had to actually open the ticket in my google wallet or just have it on the screen etc.

Not sure if all the entry scan things have changed though, will be something extra for people to fumble through though for the start at least.
Good point.

I used it to enter the Essendon game, and trying to remember how difficult it was - lol I got impatient and walked straight past the people piss farting around with phones and scanners and just entered the ground without using a ticket/membership.

It's so dumb how they continue to make this worse.

This sounds like it would be a lot easier without kids, having multiple tickets in the wallet (and all the tix looking the same with info only on the backside) will be a PITA at the gate/area entry. I contacted the club multiple times this week to ask if the purchased lanyards will get the holder into the Social Club or just entry through the gates. Four different people plus three on the phone and they still couldn't give me a straight answer.
This is the issue i will face, i have multiple tickets so you need to basically herd the kids in a line, tap and shove them through the gate when it goes green one by one.. and hope they aren't resisting it and don't get through quick enough

This is the issue i will face, i have multiple tickets so you need to basically herd the kids in a line, tap and shove them through the gate when it goes green one by one.. and hope they aren't resisting it and don't get through quick enough
Absolutely! I was at the beach in SA and decided to head up to Adelaide to watch the last day of the test, bought a family ticket on my phone for just three of us and it was painful enough trying to get through with one phone even on a relatively quiet day.

Saturday night will be an absolute bloodbath if tech savvy people are questioning how it will all work, imagine all of the older members trying to work out WTF is going on when entering compared to the days of a paper ticket or lanyard. My mate's Dad is a Pivotonian and apparently cracked it and went to the club for a paper ticket because his phone was cracking it haha.

As someone who has been an advocate for being a member, I'm more than a tad pissed off at the handling of this year's memberships. This year it's been as bad as I can remember.

Phoned today wanting to resolve an issue and was met with a recorded message saying we can't answer your call, ring back. Grrr!

For *s sake surely the club has the wit to know there's going to be an influx of calls at this time of year and add staff.

Still haven't got the merch and other bits-n-pieces.

Re ticket scanning -

IF you save your ticket to your Apple Wallet or Google Wallet, it removes the barcode/QR code and turns your ticket into an NFI ticket

You just have to hold to up to the ticket scanner for it to register your ticket

It's the same way that other digital passes work in your digital wallets such as Woolworths Rewards card or digital card where you tap on the screen rather than scanning a barcode, or even say Myki where you tap on the screen to register

It's the system in use at Marvel Stadium - not sure about the MCG as I didn't get there for cricket this year

Also, IF you don't add your digital ticket to your digital wallet and just view it in the app, then it'll have a barcode & a blue light moving back & forth - it's a safety feature called a "live barcode". It refreshes the barcode every few minutes to minimise counterfeit opportunities or scalpers who sell multiple copies of the same ticket & only the first person to get to the venue gets in. That's why you can't take screenshots of barcoded tickets to use to get in
Boxing Day had it this year and it was a farce to say the least.
For someone who is tech savvy it’s a shocking system that relies on everyone of all ages understanding how to do it

Boxing Day had it this year and it was a farce to say the least.
For someone who is tech savvy it’s a shocking system that relies on everyone of all ages understanding how to do it

I thinks can remember some Swifties talking about the process to footy fans ahead of the season - so I gathered it was the same at the MCG but no experience myself

I haven't found it too bad at Marvel or KP, but then again i only have 1 ticket to deal with - it'll be interesting to see how it goes for families

Also is anyone else's Cats app having a conniption whenever they go to the 'Mobile Membership' tab down the bottom? Mine's updated to the latest version and the rest of the app works fine but when I hit that button it all goes south.
Delete it and reinstall from your app store. I've found on various family member phones recent updates haven't always gone through well, and the data the app holds goes a mess.

A clean install and login and you should be right.

Delete it and reinstall from your app store. I've found on various family member phones recent updates haven't always gone through well, and the data the app holds goes a mess.

A clean install and login and you should be right.

The club has advised the same thing - if there's any issues, delete and start again

Hi, I wonder if anybody can help regarding tickets for the MCG do you have to always purchase a ticket even though you are a Geelong member when you want to go and watch even if it’s general admission. Like say example Geelong v Hawthorn. We have have 5 memberships. I’m sure you used to be able to just scan your barcodes and get there early to get a seat.

Hi, I wonder if anybody can help regarding tickets for the MCG do you have to always purchase a ticket even though you are a Geelong member when you want to go and watch even if it’s general admission. Like say example Geelong v Hawthorn. We have have 5 memberships. I’m sure you used to be able to just scan your barcodes and get there early to get a seat.
It's a Hawk home game, does your membership entitle you to away game access? If not, you'll need to buy a ticket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It should we live in Melbourne. I just roll my membership over each year. But I may need to check that.
Check your entitlement. Some memberships give general admin access to away games in Melb, others don't.

As is the case for our Rd1 game in Geelong, GA access is only granted if there is GA allocated. Keep an eye out in case they make the game fully ticketed (which generally means $0 reserved seat for GA members)

Does anyone remember the price of an Interstate membership from previous years?
It’s $150, which provides:
54B699E2-C16D-4E20-B75A-3FE8F7A1EE1E.jpeg

Seems expensive ???
In previous years the Interstate membership included a few extras in addition to a season scarf, so 2024 is disappointing. No chance of going to a game due to poor health.

Does anyone remember the price of an Interstate membership from previous years?
It’s $150, which provides:
View attachment 1930619

Seems expensive ???
In previous years the Interstate membership included a few extras in addition to a season scarf, so 2024 is disappointing. No chance of going to a game due to poor health.

I think it was around $100 about 5 years ago when I was living in NSW

Members cap, and kids member footy packs just arrived. Ordered on Tue 27th Feb. No signs of the member cards and lanyards ordered in that same order. Can only assume they'll either come seperate or bundled with the oustanding members welcome letter.

Oddly the postage label had my son's name on it, despite it was my account and details that I placed the order on.

Re ticket scanning -

I saved it to my wallet, but still had the live barcode feature on it? Took me ages for the scanner to recognise my phone too.

I'm old fashioned, but I preferred the traditional plastic card, much more reliable!

Re ticket scanning -

Having three going in the one phone was the only issue for me bar the lines. Just scanned it from the wallet all work fine... maybe even better than when it tried to read the code last year . But the Lines . MAN. The lines. Wast it due to the near 40,000? Or was it due to every 3rd person group that was trying to go thru created a hold up as there seemed to be a problem.

Edit: After purchasing tickets for the Melb game ..can confirm its the same scan system..with no bar code. How this works with their turnstiles..will be another test.

Last edited:
The GA shown on your e-ticket means General Admission. DO NOT PAY FOR SEATING as a member. Just rock up to MCG, scan ticket and enter areas marked General Seating. At the end of row on Level 4 there are GA areas that I go to. Arriving really late in big games you may find yourself high up in the stands but most games have less than 50K. Maybe up to 70K. This info is not clearly explained on the Geelong Member web site. I know friends who have purchased seats as members unnecessarily. You need to drill down and find info from the web site. When I called the club they had a tone I should know this.

Has anyone who requested a physical membership card received theirs yet?

Gate 5 was a shambles on Saturday night, they need to open the adjacent gate 6 moving forward instead of bottlenecking thousands of people through three open turnstiles.

On top of that I had very poor 4G reception (Telstra), luckily I had pre-saved my ticket to my Apple Wallet, but many others were trying to access their digital tickets with poor to no reception.

Has anyone who requested a physical membership card received theirs yet?

Gate 5 was a shambles on Saturday night, they need to open the adjacent gate 6 moving forward instead of bottlenecking thousands of people through three open turnstiles.

On top of that I had very poor 4G reception (Telstra), luckily I had pre-saved my ticket to my Apple Wallet, but many others were trying to access their digital tickets with poor to no reception.
I can't remember if they have put in free wifi or not - that is probably something they should have.

But you can't rely on 4G when at the game - it's not a reception problem, it's an oversubscription problem. 40000 people all trying to access it at once - just aint gonna work.

Your move to download to apple wallet was a good one - and really everyone should be doing this - relying on internet on the day is not a smart move at all.

The club sends out emails every week saying to download before coming to the gate. It's really not that hard...

The club sends out emails every week saying to download before coming to the gate. It's really not that hard...

I work in communications and there is evidence that suggests only around 25-30% of people read emails from businesses they subscribe to.

Agree it's not hard for people to download digital tickets before arriving, but there will always be a significant percentage that don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back