AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Progressing well, 3-4 weeks until he can rejoin main training
“It’s been six weeks now since Dyson fractured his ankle and had surgery. He’s probably progressed faster than what I expected from last week and he’s commenced running now, so things are looking good for him. It will be another three to four weeks in building his running loads before he joins in with the main group.”

Doesn't have the resume of Luke Hodge but would love for our skipper to do what Hodgey did in the twilight of his career and that is marshal the troops across half back.

With Hooker and Hurley coming toward the end, the rest of the back 6 (bar Saady - 100 AFL games) are still reatively inexperienced. Would be great to have a wise head around Ridley, Redman, BZT, McKenna etc.

Dyson started there and could very well finish there and do a reasonable job. I wont write him off till we see him return to the AFL, it will just be a long road back for the skipper.

yeh, perhaps attempting to get him ready for a finals push if we are trying to get in?
Well we will be trying to get in but I doubt we make it given who we have left to play. Then again if they do get in they will have earnt it.

Last edited:
Doesn't have the resume of Luke Hodge but would love for our skipper to do what Hodgey did in the twilight of his career and that is marshal the troops across half back.

With Hooker and Hurley coming toward the end, the rest of the back 6 (bar Saady - 100 AFL games) are still reatively inexperienced. Would be great to have a wise head around Ridley, Redman, BZT, McKenna etc.

Dyson started there and could very well finish there and do a reasonable job. I wont write him off till we see him return to the AFL, it will just be a long road back for the skipper.

I don’t see what he would add to our already crowded backline. Heppell’s best talent as a backman is his ability to intercept and we already have plenty of that type.

Hodge was an elite kick and Heppell is well not.

I don’t see what he would add to our already crowded backline. Heppell’s best talent as a backman is his ability to intercept and we already have plenty of that type.

Hodge was an elite kick and Heppell is well not.
It was more a relation to Heppell's leadership and ability to direct players. Ridley is a good intercepter, so is Hooker but the suggestion was made in lieu of our older heads potentially moving on and us being resorted to more lockdown KPD like BZT.

It was more a relation to Heppell's leadership and ability to direct players. Ridley is a good intercepter, so is Hooker but the suggestion was made in lieu of our older heads potentially moving on and us being resorted to more lockdown KPD like BZT.

For Hep to play back we would need to play a 7 man defense. Not that I am against doing that but his lack of leg speed would need him to have the right match up or allow him to play loose. I doubt we go down that path given the current coaching group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full training next week!

"Each week Dyson is improving. He's building up his running loads and intensity, and you'll see him start to integrate with the main group over the next week," Rundle said.

Available to play this week!

“Dyson has made excellent progress. He is training fully with the main group. He is very fit. His running volumes and intensity have been very good. He moved well in training today, and as a result is available to play this week,” Rundle said.

This will be more interesting than watching Joe, not nearly as much fun but far more intriguing.

Where is Knackers in this iteration of the pecking order? Does he walk back in and play the same role he has previously? Will it benefit us more if he plays as more of a winger/sweeper that sags off half a kick behind the play or are we better off having him do the shovelling and giving off to Shiel and Merrett to take us forward? How does that impact Smith?

Find out in the next episode of Dragon Ball Z

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back