AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Watch him this weekend. Watch how many fumbles he has, how his opponents run off him at will - watch how many of his kicks actually hit an Essendon player. His dropped marks. Losing the ball in the air. Not everything shows up on the stat sheet.

There’s nothing shameful about it, he’s just not the player he once was.

Admittedly, if you think he’s been ‘very solid and dependable’, I think you are just going to see what you want to see.
Well the flip side is the same. It is an opinion.

I think it lies in the middle. He did some good stuff and some average stuff.

Well the flip side is the same. It is an opinion.

I think it lies in the middle. He did some good stuff and some average stuff.

It’s an opinon, but I think most of us know that if his name wasn’t Dyson Heppell, he probably wouldn’t be playing based on form. He’s in for his leadership. Scott has nearly said as much - with the ‘we owe him’ stuff, at least that’s how I read that comment.

Again, it’s nothing personal against him - three years ago he was a good player. Five years ago he was great. He’s just gotten older and slowed right down

It’s an opinon, but I think most of us know that if his name wasn’t Dyson Heppell, he probably wouldn’t be playing based on form. He’s in for his leadership. Scott has nearly said as much - with the ‘we owe him’ stuff, at least that’s how I read that comment.

Again, it’s nothing personal against him - three years ago he was a good player. Five years ago he was great. He’s just gotten older and slowed right down
Not sure that is actually what Scott said but you have always been biased against him because he does not selected every single young bloke on the list. You do know that you can be an inexperienced list and have to play the older blokes because the young ones are not ready for various reasons.
I am not saying Heppell is anything more than average now days but the fact he is regarded for his leadership says a lot more about the piss poor level our leadership is at more than the coach selecting a bloke who is well past his prime.

Just had a quick look back at mid 2020, so less than 4 years ago, and it’s nearly all positive stuff. He’s just gone on a year too long.

The same thing happened with Myers, Baguley and Zaka - all good players in their primes, but they were passed it by the end.
You’re right pretty positive back in 2020, 2021 was definitely the year to long

I think most agree that Heppell wouldn’t be in the best 22 players if all are fit.
He is clearly a forum whipping boy. I wish the microscope was on every player as much as it is heppell.

Let’s just all relax and wait for players to come back from injury and young guys to go past him. Robert’s looks to be an option, but we can’t pick him based on 1 vfl game where he played mostly wing.

I would also like to see how duursma goes across half back.

Not sure that is actually what Scott said but you have always been biased against him because he does not selected every single young bloke on the list. You do know that you can be an inexperienced list and have to play the older blokes because the young ones are not ready for various reasons.
I am not saying Heppell is anything more than average now days but the fact he is regarded for his leadership says a lot more about the piss poor level our leadership is at more than the coach selecting a bloke who is well past his prime.

Okay, well I said ‘has nearly said as much’ - and followed it up with ‘at least that’s how I read it’.

I wouldn’t say I have a bias against him - I also wouldn’t care if he played 23 x 30 year olds every week if they were the 23 most in form players.

We literally have the 7 most experienced list in the league. And also, you should know that just because a player is young, it doesn’t automatically mean they’re ‘not ready’.

Back to Heppell, I think his flaws really stick out being back there with both Kelly and Lav. We can hide the flaws of one of them, not three.

Hindsight? Heps been a list clogger for 3yrs now, having and giving any of the young drafted players a decent crack has been a better option the club has not taken
Rather, I'm referring to Martin playing to 7th defender, which I'm starting to admit doesn't seem to be working.

I'm as cranky as anyone that Hepp remains. I wanted him gone two years ago.

Okay, well I said ‘has nearly said as much’ - and followed it up with ‘at least that’s how I read it’.

I wouldn’t say I have a bias against him - I also wouldn’t care if he played 23 x 30 year olds every week if they were the 23 most in form players.

We literally have the 7 most experienced list in the league. And also, you should know that just because a player is young, it doesn’t automatically mean they’re ‘not ready’.

Back to Heppell, I think his flaws really stick out being back there with both Kelly and Lav. We can hide the flaws of one of them, not three.
What is this bull s**t. I have been very straight down the line on this for years. If they are ready I am happy to see them in but sometimes young blokes are not ready and the simple fact is Scott has played Davey / Cox / Tsatas when they have not really been ready to perform at AFL level for various reasons.

I am not a fan of Heppell being in the side but we have not had all our defenders available at the same time so far this year.

Rather, I'm referring to Martin playing to 7th defender, which I'm starting to admit doesn't seem to be working.

I'm as cranky as anyone that Hepp remains. I wanted him gone two years ago.
Two games in ? and the bloke who was best at playing defensive winger all summer had to go back to defense in round 1 before half time and did not play last week. We are not wining a GF any time soon. I am more than happy to see them try something outside the box and see them look at possible long term wins rather than just he can play wing. All good we may win another game or two but still be s**t.

Two games in ?
That's why I'm only starting to admit it. Believe me, I want it to work and I think it can. I'm not sure yet how reliant it is on having Kelly or a player like Kelly there, but at the moment it's not as impactful as I'd hoped.

The other side of it is Duursma's been a little bit vanilla. He's done a couple of classy things but until he rediscovers his running capacity and aggression of earlier years, the contrast between his effectiveness and Martin's on a wing is pretty stark.

So, I hope it works, but my patience is wearing thin. That said, I know we're still rebuilding. Realistically, maybe half a season is fair. I don't know. I can only speak for myself and I know when I feel like having a melt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's why I'm only starting to admit it. Believe me, I want it to work and I think it can. I'm not sure yet how reliant it is on having Kelly or a player like Kelly there, but at the moment it's not as impactful as I'd hoped.

The other side of it is Duursma's been a little bit vanilla. He's done a couple of classy things but until he rediscovers his running capacity and aggression of earlier years, the contrast between his effectiveness and Martin's on a wing is pretty stark.

So, I hope it works, but my patience is wearing thin. That said, I know we're still rebuilding. Realistically, maybe half a season is fair. I don't know. I can only speak for myself and I know when I feel like having a melt.
Your patience is wearing thin ? Better get used to it is this is the first year Scott is actually having a crack at changing what we do. This is not something that will sort itself out anytime soon.

Your patience is wearing thin ? Better get used to it is this is the first year Scott is actually having a crack at changing what we do. This is not something that will sort itself out anytime soon.
Well, I'll be mindful that my melts might mean your mirth before I post on game day!
I know though, change doesn't happen over night.

I think most agree that Heppell wouldn’t be in the best 22 players if all are fit.
He is clearly a forum whipping boy. I wish the microscope was on every player as much as it is heppell.

Let’s just all relax and wait for players to come back from injury and young guys to go past him. Robert’s looks to be an option, but we can’t pick him based on 1 vfl game where he played mostly wing.

I would also like to see how duursma goes across half back.
At least he is not alone. I think we have around 10 whipping boys atm.

Weird career shapeshift from Hep. Mr consistent as a HB/onballer early in his career. There was very little between his best and worst. As a defender/wingman these past few years the gap between his best and worst has grown quite a bit. Today he showed it all in one game. But he also showed us the reason for him being backed-in by the coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back