Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't really give a s**t what you think about me mate. You're the one who doesn't think he should be on more than 500k a year, can't change the way you think. I'm here to defend one of the champions of our club.

Put me on ignore if you don't like what I say or zip up.
Good suggestion. Onto Ignore. Buddy Franklin doesn’t need to be defended by ill-mannered jerks.

There was nothing in either my original post or my response to yours that deserved your rude response, totally unwarranted.
In my first post I apologised for singling you out and on my second I simply said it was an individual thing for me - absolutely no reason for you to respond in such a manner.
What a miserable individual you must be in life.
You literally took one thing I said at the end of a statistical analysis post where I was listing players who have done more than Buddy this year goals and involvements wise and providing insight. When I said "you must be out of your skulls" to think he should be on 500k at the very end, which I probably shouldn't have said but they were my feelings at the time, you chose to highlight that part and make me out to be some kind terrible person instead of addressing the sensical and logical post by itself. Seems like you could be the one who doesn't like opposing opinions? I'm very open to them 99% of the time.
I then just had a crack at you because you said you have something personal against me, unless what you were meaning to say that it's your 'PERSONAL OPINION' and not personal against me, in which case I apologise. But if you have something personal against me for that long post I said yesterday about Buddy's stats then you're the one with the problem.

There was nothing in either my original post or my response to yours that deserved your rude response, totally unwarranted.
In my first post I apologised for singling you out and on my second I simply said it was an individual thing for me - absolutely no reason for you to respond in such a manner.
What a miserable individual you must be in life.
I'm sorry mate when you said "it's a personal thing for me" I thought you meant like it's a personal thing you have against me from my original post which set me off.
I apologise for being rude

I'm sorry mate when you said "it's a personal thing for me" I thought you meant like it's a personal thing you have against me from my original post which set me off.
I apologise for being rude
she probably can't see this but I'll let her know...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Buddy retires up to the Gold Coast ...I would be most amused if Southport Sharks offered him mega dollars just to play home games in the VFL and get bigger crowds than Gold coast.
I honestly can't see him giving football up completeley if he 'retires' I am sure he will play some games around the place. Aker and Feb had a pretty lucrative after AFL career playing around the country amongst others.

I really think they're going off the clip that was posted and showed about 6 players hugging jpk...just because buddy wasn't seen in that clip means he is gone according to them
OMG! That's just so pathetic, isn't it!!!

I'm all for freedom of the press, but to continuously make stuff up is just BS!

License to make stuff up isn't what freedom of the press is supposed to grant to the media

Can't stand this s**t

I still reckon retirement is the third likely option for Buddy at this stage.
Signs one year at Sydney or moves to QLD and signs 1 or 2 years there.
I doubt either Gold Coast or Brisbane have much cap space, so not sure Bud could expect much more $$ there
Might come down to domestic living arrangements whether the family stays in sydney or goes to QLD

If Buddy retires up to the Gold Coast ...I would be most amused if Southport Sharks offered him mega dollars just to play home games in the VFL and get bigger crowds than Gold coast.
I honestly can't see him giving football up completeley if he 'retires' I am sure he will play some games around the place. Aker and Feb had a pretty lucrative after AFL career playing around the country amongst others.

I plead guilty to not having read 4 of the last pages. Does not mean my brain has not been slowly clank, clank clanking away. FWIW here are some thoughts.

1. No footy player has made me laugh as often and as hard as Buddy because of the audacity of his footy imagination and ability to realise it. He remains the most watchable player in the game.

2. Few players so obviously love and savour playing the game. He still gets as excited as a Warner or Papley when something great happens on the ground. He loves winning a contest and detests losing one.

3. 'Hanging up the boots' from any sport that any of us play is hard. bedford probably knows and I have forgotten but IIRC our champion Barry Round played VFA footy until a ripe old age. His body must have begged him to stop. JPK this week said he had not allowed himself to think of the 'retirement' word.. I reckon Buddy is the same. His last game of footy will be terrible for him.

4. Plugger pretty much walked away from the game. I do not believe Franklin will. The bloke is a massive footy nuff nuff. Our whole Board is a repository of nuffderdom but I expect Buddy outdoes us collectively.

5. Bud's better half is or is becoming a player agent/manager and is a cluey and tough business nuffy. Buddy is addicted to the draft and unearthing talented kids. I reckon he watches a prodigious amount of underage footy and talks to a lot of trusted people about talented kids. Beatson used to make jokes about how Buddy was pestering them with his views on the draft. Bud's views will carry increasing weight.

6. The labourer is worthy of his hire. This principle has been lost in modern capitalism. Ironically for very wealthy people, the Franklins have a profound sense of what this means. A hundred k either way is not a life changer for these folks but equally fair pay for work is. Undoubtedly they know the affect the number 23 has on the Swans' books and on field performance.

7. I am pleased the Franklins and Club have put the sideshow of negotiations on hold.

8. Here is my blue sky dreaming:
  • He signs a one year extension with built in option for another year.
  • A significant component is 'ambassadorial', but the duties are weighted to working with kids, inc the Academy as opposed to gladhanding the corporate sector, giving talks, doing media etc.
  • A business relationship is established between Franklin - talent spotter - and the Club's list management arm.
  • The Franklins develop their Player management business independent of the Club

I plead guilty to not having read 4 of the last pages. Does not mean my brain has not been slowly clank, clank clanking away. FWIW here are some thoughts.

1. No footy player has made me laugh as often and as hard as Buddy because of the audacity of his footy imagination and ability to realise it. He remains the most watchable player in the game.

2. Few players so obviously love and savour playing the game. He still gets as excited as a Warner or Papley when something great happens on the ground. He loves winning a contest and detests losing one.

3. 'Hanging up the boots' from any sport that any of us play is hard. bedford probably knows and I have forgotten but IIRC our champion Barry Round played VFA footy until a ripe old age. His body must have begged him to stop. JPK this week said he had not allowed himself to think of the 'retirement' word.. I reckon Buddy is the same. His last game of footy will be terrible for him.

4. Plugger pretty much walked away from the game. I do not believe Franklin will. The bloke is a massive footy nuff nuff. Our whole Board is a repository of nuffderdom but I expect Buddy outdoes us collectively.

5. Bud's better half is or is becoming a player agent/manager and is a cluey and tough business nuffy. Buddy is addicted to the draft and unearthing talented kids. I reckon he watches a prodigious amount of underage footy and talks to a lot of trusted people about talented kids. Beatson used to make jokes about how Buddy was pestering them with his views on the draft. Bud's views will carry increasing weight.

6. The labourer is worthy of his hire. This principle has been lost in modern capitalism. Ironically for very wealthy people, the Franklins have a profound sense of what this means. A hundred k either way is not a life changer for these folks but equally fair pay for work is. Undoubtedly they know the affect the number 23 has on the Swans' books and on field performance.

7. I am pleased the Franklins and Club have put the sideshow of negotiations on hold.

• A significant component is 'ambassadorial', but the duties are weighted to working with kids, inc the Academy as opposed to gladhanding the corporate sector, giving talks, doing media etc.
  • A business relationship is established between Franklin - talent spotter - and the Club's list management arm.
  • The Franklins develop their Player management business independent of the Club
Bloody good post Unc, hope your dreams come true!
PS You haven't missed much in the last four pages, preserve the brain 😉

Daily mail running with buddy was a no show at jpk's retirement speech and saying it is an indication he is leaving
they've never been mates. Buddy hazed him (hazed being kind, bully being more appropriate) a lot when he first got to Hawthorn.

Very eloquent. Beautifully written sentiments rolled up in watertight facts.

When there is literally zero accountability, thanks mainly to our pathetic ACMA government body, the reality is media outlets and journos will continue to present opinion as 'fact' and promote speculation as 'news'.
Sadly, this is now the norm across all MSM which is generally simply emulating the same nonsense prevalent on social media.

Welcome to age of misinformation which is published on a daily basis often under the guise of 'freedom of the press'...

Last edited:
Back