Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

zQRnVjAT.jpg

George Hewett

George Hewett is regularly praised in the media by his teammates and coach John Longmire for his steadfast reliability. Regardless of whether the 2013 draftee is tasked with winning the footy or blanketing a ball magnet, he has the full trust of the Sydney Swans camp. Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps and Shaun Higgins are just some of the gun midfielders Hewett has shut down in his unheralded career as a Swan. The South Australian carved out a career-best season in 2019 en route to finishing second in the Bob Skilton Medal voting, joining star duo Dane Rampe and Luke Parker on the podium.

George Hewett
DOB: 29 December 1995
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #32, 2013 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Broughton-Mundoora (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Another quality balanced game. Very clean work as an inside midfielder with 9 clearances and kept Cripps completely without any influence all night.

He started the year a little quiet in terms of his offensive output - while being stellar defensively - but now he's hit a high level of balanced output by taking up more minutes as an inside midfielder. Having a quality year.

Bump.

Near two months since this thread was active.

Still doing his job week in, week out but (like the team) he has gone off the boil. Have not looked at his numbers but expect they are down a bit as is the balance between kicks and handballs.

He also does not appear to be moving with the freedom he did early in the season. Maybe he is carrying a few niggles.

As the designated stopper he would cop a few more knocks from the Oppo than most.

In some respects George is symptomatic of the Mule era. He is a highly skilled player who has sacrificed expression of these skills for 'the good of the team' aka the Game Plan. The result is we are missing his offensive skills.

Some teams get criticised for not running both ways (defence as well as offence).

Our team is in reverse. We are drilled to run to defend but do not run to take the initiative.

I'd like to see the Mule take the shackles off George and instruct him to see ball - get ball.

Is tracking really well imo.

I would like to see him unleashed a bit now, as I think we saw in the second half. Kennedy needs help inside and this fella is the guy to do it.

10 clearances last night.

Pleased with his progress.

Is tracking really well imo.

I would like to see him unleashed a bit now, as I think we saw in the second half. Kennedy needs help inside and this fella is the guy to do it.

10 clearances last night.

Pleased with his progress.

Been shadowing the best so has picked up a few tricks. wonder who else can do that lockdown role though if we do unleash him to go get the ball. Kizza obviously used to do it when he first started but dont think he has the athleticism now or running power. Maybe Cunningham who has had some sucess on outside players but not sure he could do the same for inside players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been shadowing the best so has picked up a few tricks. wonder who else can do that lockdown role though if we do unleash him to go get the ball. Kizza obviously used to do it when he first started but dont think he has the athleticism now or running power. Maybe Cunningham who has had some sucess on outside players but not sure he could do the same for inside players.

Perhaps Dawson can do some roles as part of his apprenticeship.

Nice article about the 12 weeks premature birth of young Henry with first 9 weeks in the neo-natal intensive care unit of Sydney's Royal Hospital for Women.

perhaps overcomes the paywall:

Looked good when he got near it on Sunday but didn't seem to find the ball much - what was his actual role? We need more ball winning midfielders and can't understand why he isn't being used as one.

Looked good when he got near it on Sunday but didn't seem to find the ball much - what was his actual role? We need more ball winning midfielders and can't understand why he isn't being used as one.

because he isnt one you want with the ball in hand

dawson
mcinnerney not a bad kick
buddy if he wasnt cooked
player yet to be recruited

lloyd seems to be coaches pick
Lloyd did some nice things in the 2nd half for sure

Lloyd did some nice things in the 2nd half for sure

I think Lloyd is great in the middle even pushing for the odd goal, which he seems to be doing more this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back