Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

He will become one of the best kicks in the competition. He is an extremely quick thinker and has a nice simple kicking action on both sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a very strange running style.

Gets him along just fine though

Good pickup. Noticed it at the game as well. I've mentioned in previous posts how poor some players running styles are. Overstriding with a high back heel kick. The harder you run the slower you get! And you tend to over balance forward, this is why you see some people fall over when they try to run fast. Phillips does the opposite, low back heel recovery, which means he's turnover is fast and more efficient - and he is not blocking i.e. striking in front of his centre of gravity. This is why he looks like he can just keep rolling along. You can actually teach this and I am still curious whether anyone actually does. Can also help protect your hamstrings.

The thing I like is his technique looked sound when sprinting and also while cruising. Can see him getting from contest to contest very effectively. It will also help him in the first few steps to break away and get some space, that and his low centre of gravity. Even better as he matures and gets stronger.

Edit: Will add the reason it looks strange is others are so crap. He is actually running vey effectively.

Last edited:
You can actually teach this and I am still curious whether anyone actually does. Can also help protect your hamstrings.

First time I was taught was during ACL reco rehab. Missing a hamstring tendon and not having to block, decelerate then accelerate were key components of my learning to help protect the injury and weaker muscles.

Physio was complaining about the lack of teaching in Aus regarding running, gait and agility.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back