Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

The way he names him in comparison to Rowell is interesting. Doesn't hesitate to name him.

Rendell is a bit of a knob but he was definite about that.

Rendell has stated if Will was eligible for the 2019 draft he would have gone second behind Rowell and ahead of Anderson based on his 16-year old season.

Loved that Boomer showed up at the front door and respect sentiment behind offering the number 29 but just feel that could have been done in private. What if Phillips wanted another number? As I said, love the gesture, but think it could have been a private conversation

Posted this in the Draft thread a while back:

How’s this for a finals campaign for an underage player:

Qualifying Final:
Phillips: 29d, 13k, 16hb, 9 contested, 4 tackles, 5 clearances, 6 inside 50’s, 1 goal.

Rowell had it 29 times, Anderson 29. Bianco 24.

Prelim:
Phillips: 27 d, 8k, 19hb, 15 contested, 8 tackles, 8 clearances, 3 inside 50’s.

Rowell had it 32 times, Bianco 27, Anderson 23.

Grand Final:
Phillips: 16d, 8k, 8hb, 9 contested, 2 tackles, 4 clearances, 6 inside 50’s, 2 goals.

Rowell had it 44 times, Bianco 29, Anderson 26.

Phillips averaged 24d, 9.6k, 14.3hb, 11 contested, 4.6 tackles, 5.6 clearances, 5 inside 50’s, 1 goal across finals.

Posted this in the Draft thread a while back:

How’s this for a finals campaign for an underage player:

Qualifying Final:
Phillips: 29d, 13k, 16hb, 9 contested, 4 tackles, 5 clearances, 6 inside 50’s, 1 goal.

Rowell had it 29 times, Anderson 29. Bianco 24.

Prelim:
Phillips: 27 d, 8k, 19hb, 15 contested, 8 tackles, 8 clearances, 3 inside 50’s.

Rowell had it 32 times, Bianco 27, Anderson 23.

Grand Final:
Phillips: 16d, 8k, 8hb, 9 contested, 2 tackles, 4 clearances, 6 inside 50’s, 2 goals.

Rowell had it 44 times, Bianco 29, Anderson 26.

Phillips averaged 24d, 9.6k, 14.3hb, 11 contested, 4.6 tackles, 5.6 clearances, 5 inside 50’s, 1 goal across finals.
Yeah thats massive and the main reason why I’ve been so bullish on him from the start.

Pretty sure all our draftees have performed in big games from their bio’s

Rendell has stated if Will was eligible for the 2019 draft he would have gone second behind Rowell and ahead of Anderson based on his 16-year old season.
Yeah I know. And the way he named him in that interview and Sheehan just shut up a bit... it was he filed that name away for the future, bookmarked it to see if Rendell was right.

I was critical of his kicking but the more highlights I watch the less I see it as an issue. I guess comparing him to other draftees he hasn't got the same elite kick that Hollands or Campbell have but it isn't bad at all. He kicked a few goals from 50 in his highlights. Its his other qualities I am most excited about tho. He seems like his best footy asset could be above his shoulders on and off the field. Jy, LDU and this kid have all shown good leadership as juniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I know. And the way he named him in that interview and Sheehan just shut up a bit... it was he filed that name away for the future, bookmarked it to see if Rendell was right.

I was critical of his kicking but the more highlights I watch the less I see it as an issue. I guess comparing him to other draftees he hasn't got the same elite kick that Hollands or Campbell have but it isn't bad at all. He kicked a few goals from 50 in his highlights. Its his other qualities I am most excited about tho. He seems like his best footy asset could be above his shoulders on and off the field. Jy, LDU and this kid have all shown good leadership as juniors.

Jy, LDU, Phillips, Powell, TT, Scott, Mahoney, Perez, Taylor, Walker, Ford, Stephenson.

That's 12 players who can run through the midfield for the next decade with plenty of inside grunt, outside run, some great ball users, leadership, and a fair bit of X factor.

That's not including Bonar, Hayden, R2, Lazzaro, or the Spiceman.

We could have the best midfield in the comp by 2023.

That handball of his is sublime. Better be prepared to receive it if you are within 20m of this kid.

And he will only improve learning at the feet of the master in Ben10.
Cunnington is a beast but he can only handball with his left, maybe Will can show Ben how to use his right hand as well

Jy, LDU, Phillips, Powell, TT, Scott, Mahoney, Perez, Taylor, Walker, Ford, Stephenson.

That's 12 players who can run through the midfield for the next decade with plenty of inside grunt, outside run, some great ball users, leadership, and a fair bit of X factor.

We are definitely looking a bit zippier across the forward half now too.

It could be us v Gold Coast for the best midfield. A little ironic but there you go.

look at the opposite foot at 5.57 and 6:09. no hesitation. automatic. the second one is masterful. he has no chance of pulling this goal assist off without a confident and assured left boot.

if one of our young players in the senior team executed those passes on the non-preferred—one hitting up a leading target, the other perfectly weighted over the back so the forward doesnt break stride—we would be talking about their elite footskills. gifs would be made.

and this is his greatest weakness? nice.

also have a look at 2:45 - best example of the outside burst speed hes capable of but not most known for. complete midfielder.

look at the opposite foot at 5.57 and 6:09. no hesitation. automatic. the second one is masterful. he has no chance of pulling this goal assist off without a confident and assured left boot.

if one of our young players in the senior team executed those passes on the non-preferred—one hitting up a leading target, the other perfectly weighted over the back so the forward doesnt break stride—we would be talking about their elite footskills. gifs would be made.

and this is his greatest weakness? nice.

also have a look at 2:45 - best example of the outside burst speed hes capable of but not most known for. complete midfielder.

Yep. I'm just as confident on him being completely bullet proof as I was with Bailey before we called his name..

The handball at 5:48 is just bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back