VFL 2nd Semi Final - Sandringham vs Collingwood at North Port Oval (Pies lost 97-104) :-(

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully it's not a 2yr hamstring
Hopefully not, but the Pies just tweeted a photo with Maynard (I think) hugging Marsh after the match I presume and Marsh looked shattered.

He was quoted as saying though "It's not just a club, it's a big family. There's so much love here + that's the important thing," in the tweet with the photo.

... but I don't think it'll cost us too much to see what he can do next year, given that we'll be delisting/trading quite a few others.

You think we'll have a high list turnover this year?

Recent years ...

2014: 10 players turned over
2013: 10 players turned over
2012: 14 players turned over

... I was thinking this year things might start to get a bit more stable?

You think we'll have a high list turnover this year?

Recent years ...

2014: 10 players turned over
2013: 10 players turned over
2012: 14 players turned over

... I was thinking this year things might start to get a bit more stable?

No, I don't think there'll be a huge turnover. Like you, I think that stability is a luxury we can afford this year, and I think that BK will enjoy the benefit of that luxury.

No, I don't think there'll be a huge turnover. Like you, I think that stability is a luxury we can afford this year, and I think that BK will enjoy the benefit of that luxury.
BK might survive but I cannot believe he will ever be a regular senior player. The smallest player in the league, Caleb Daniels, recruited just last year at pick 46, is already looking likely to enjoy a far more successful career than Kennedy.

BK might survive but I cannot believe he will ever be a regular senior player. The smallest player in the league, Caleb Daniels, recruited just last year at pick 46, is already looking likely to enjoy a far more successful career than Kennedy.

Maybe I saw too many Rocky movies when I was a kid, but I like to think that there's a small chance that BK will pull himself out of the hole he's in. Stranger things have happened.

Maybe I saw too many Rocky movies when I was a kid, but I like to think that there's a small chance that BK will pull himself out of the hole he's in. Stranger things have happened.
Even today he did nothing for a half. Daniel's skills are much better than Kennedy's. I'd like to think BK can dig himself out of a hole, but after 3 years in the game, he doesn't seem to have made any perceptible improvement.

Even today he did nothing for a half. Daniel's skills are much better than Kennedy's. I'd like to think BK can dig himself out of a hole, but after 3 years in the game, he doesn't seem to have made any perceptible improvement.

I hear what you're saying GG, and I'm not too bullish about BK's prospects, but I suppose I just think that there's little/nothing to gain by offloading him.

He's a good footballer. I've seen him singlehandedly click our VFL midfield into a higher gear, turning games in the process. The question is not about whether or not he has talent: it's about whether or not he can close the gap between his VFL form and his AFL form.

Today was a bad game for BK, but it doesn't reflect what he can do. He's still got time to turn it around.

I hear what you're saying GG, and I'm not too bullish about BK's prospects, but I suppose I just think that there's little/nothing to gain by offloading him.

He's a good footballer. I've seen him singlehandedly click our VFL midfield into a higher gear, turning games in the process. The question is not about whether or not he has talent: it's about whether or not he can close the gap between his VFL form and his AFL form.

Today was a bad game for BK, but it doesn't reflect what he can do. He's still got time to turn it around.
Agreed. It is hard to delist a player picked in the top 20. Besides, there are other players ahead of him in the delistment line.

How does BenKen compare size wise with Daniel Kerr? I realise that's a 'high bar' challenge for our boy but I always imagined in the best case scenario with a couple of good pre seasons in the gym Kennedy might find his role as a small, furious attacking inside mid like Kerr - OK similar to Kerr, I realise DK was one of the best weve seen in that role. Then again, that could well fall into the same category of pipe dream as the 'Freeman could be the next Dangerfield' fantasy.

MagpieBat and some other guy getting some credit from the club, nice to see.

:):thumbsu:

The first one is long overdue, and the gang on the end there provide a very good service, so they deserve the kudos as well.

The other guy though, he really needs the pat on the back, in what might be his darkest hour of need right now. Poor Swampy... :cry::drunk:

Seriously though, big thanks to the club for the shout-out, to me and to you and your crew over on Twitter as well, and to everyone else who has "spread the word" about the unique experience that is the VFL team. For my part, it's been an honour and a pleasure, as well as heaps of fun. :hearts::thumbsu:

The first one is long overdue, and the gang on the end there provide a very good service, so they deserve the kudos as well.

The other guy though, he really needs the pat on the back, in what might be his darkest hour of need right now. Poor Swampy... :cry::drunk:

Seriously though, big thanks to the club for the shout-out, to me and to you and your crew over on Twitter as well, and to everyone else who has "spread the word" about the unique experience that is the VFL team. For my part, it's been an honour and a pleasure, as well as heaps of fun. :hearts::thumbsu:

Marshy sad, Matty sad;

COxk4UdUcAAKiYe.jpg

:cry::cry:

Was a nice gesture from the media department at the club though.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MagpieBat and some other guy getting some credit from the club, nice to see.

:):thumbsu:

Great to see the club recognising some fantastic work, and for what it's worth let me express some love as well. Your work has been untiring, occasionally inspired, and always illuminating. It's a shame it had to end today, but I'm already looking forward to next season.

Thanks guys. :thumbsu:

Was good to see him yelling and giving instructions on the bench....maybe these explosive players like marsh and freeman will constantly have hamsteing issues...i hope not but looks like they will......maybe marsh should only play 15 to 18 matches a season? ..i dunno

How does BenKen compare size wise with Daniel Kerr? I realise that's a 'high bar' challenge for our boy but I always imagined in the best case scenario with a couple of good pre seasons in the gym Kennedy might find his role as a small, furious attacking inside mid like Kerr - OK similar to Kerr, I realise DK was one of the best weve seen in that role. Then again, that could well fall into the same category of pipe dream as the 'Freeman could be the next Dangerfield' fantasy.
Caleb Daniel is 167cm and in his first year of AFL/VFL footy. Ben Kennedy is 174cm and been in the system for 3 years. Only the greatest of optimists, such as the CBF poster who said recently that BK would be a 200 gamer, could seriously believe that he is going to be a best 22 player.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2015-09-13/vfl-marshs-hamstring-injury

Video here gives a bit of context to the pic of Armstrong and Marsh. Looks like it was taken just before the players went out after half time. Was mentioned elsewhere on the 'pies site that he gave them a rev up during the half time break.

Maybe it's just my third glass of wine having a say, but Marsh has a team-focus, a big-spiritedness, a dash and just a slight bit of cheek which reminds me of the last man to wear no. 42 at our club.

I've loved watching him this year, and can't wait to see him striding up the G again next year.

Maybe it's just my third glass of wine having a say, but Marsh has a team-focus, a big-spiritedness, a dash and just a slight bit of cheek which reminds me of the last man to wear no. 42 at our club.

I've loved watching him this year, and can't wait to see him striding up the G again next year.
I think you have had one too many. True, Millane and Marsh both have dash, team focus and a big spiritedness, and maybe even a bit of cheek in common. Millane was a unique player - very strong and courageous, and a match winner who could play almost anywhere on the ground, though best suited to the wing. I recall only one occasion when he was beaten by his direct opponent, when he played against Gary Ablett on the wing and Ablett starred, kicking a number of goals along the way.

Marsh by his own admission is a defender, though he does have an an interesting combination of height and speed. I like the way he is prepared to take on opponents and burn them off. Once he got injured today, the balance of our defence was upset, Mitch Brown became a match winner, and Scharenberg was forced to play a more defensive role which didn't suit him.

Who knows how Marsh will be develop. With his height and pace, he may well end up on a wing, particularly if he is able to improve his disposal skills. His kicking already seems far more reliable than that of Toovey. I just hope that he has not done a repeat of his hamstring injury from last year.

Frankly, I don't know enough about Marsh to be able to prove your comparison right or wrong. It is my non drinking night so unfortunately I have to broach the topic from a stone cold sober perspective. With the benefit of 3 wines, preferably red, I may have been more prepared to whole-heartedly agree with your observations.

I think you have had one too many. True, Millane and Marsh both have dash, team focus and a big spiritedness, and maybe even a bit of cheek in common. Millane was a unique player - very strong and courageous, and a match winner who could play almost anywhere on the ground, though best suited to the wing. I recall only one occasion when he was beaten by his direct opponent, when he played against Gary Ablett on the wing and Ablett starred, kicking a number of goals along the way.

Marsh by his own admission is a defender, though he does have an an interesting combination of height and speed. I like the way he is prepared to take on opponents and burn them off. Once he got injured today, the balance of our defence was upset, Mitch Brown became a match winner, and Scharenberg was forced to play a more defensive role which didn't suit him.

Who knows how Marsh will be develop. With his height and pace, he may well end up on a wing, particularly if he is able to improve his disposal skills. His kicking already seems far more reliable than that of Toovey. I just hope that he has not done a repeat of his hamstring injury from last year.

Frankly, I don't know enough about Marsh to be able to prove your comparison right or wrong. It is my non drinking night so unfortunately I have to broach the topic from a stone cold sober perspective. With the benefit of 3 wines, preferably red, I may have been more prepared to whole-heartedly agree with your observations.
3-1-1.jpg

FFS GG, I did preface my moment of whimsy with a disclaimer (i.e. I'm pissed). It hardly warranted a forensic analysis! I know he's not the second coming of Millane, for crying out loud, but for one fine moment there I was struck by Marsh's dash. Let me get carried away, for an instant...please.

I have mentioned this before, but with marsh going down with a hammy again today , and freemans battles as well can our club look into what hawthorn have done and how they have seemingly fixed rioli hamstring. Just something that could be worth looking into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back