2nd Test - Australia vs. South Africa @ Bellerive Oval (Nov 12-16)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be interested how CA now views their changing of the 2nd XI competition to a Future's League with requirements for a certain number of under-agers.

The 'problem' previously was that there weren't enough young players coming through. Players were staying in Shield Cricket longer because the money had improved. There was no next generation.

Have the average ages of Shield teams decreased accordingly? Is there more young talent in the 66 who take the field in any particular round of shield cricket?

It seems that the Aussie selectors are choosing from a shrinking pool of veterans rather than trying to spot the gems among these new players anyway.

So was it a waste of time? Or does it need longer to judge the effect of the change?

I'd be interested how CA now views their changing of the 2nd XI competition to a Future's League with requirements for a certain number of under-agers.

The 'problem' previously was that there weren't enough young players coming through. Players were staying in Shield Cricket longer because the money had improved. There was no next generation.

It's reflection on Boof in his first year as coach.

He went with the old boys, with a point to prove in that last Ashes series in Australia, and was lauded as a genius.

Those guys stayed on a year past their use by date.

Not being trivial in any way, the Phil Hughes tragedy, affected everyone, deeply.

Last edited:
Is there an element of the Windies 1995 onwards demise?

Strong for so long that we took our eye off what was happening underneath?

Once we noticed made a few reactive superficial changes that may or may not have a positive effect in the future?

Does anyone care to guess when the rotting of the culture within the Australian cricket team started? I know it was happening in Michael Clark's time, but I wonder if it started during the Ponting era.

That would be harsh. don't remember many in fights during his era, and if there is one thing you know about Ponting, it is the fact that he was a battler when it came to dealing with crises. he set high standards in terms of effort and never say die attitude

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be harsh. don't remember many in fights during his era, and if there is one thing you know about Ponting, it is the fact that he was a battler when it came to dealing with crises. he set high standards in terms of effort and never say die attitude

He also mentored Clark as the next Australian captain and Clark turned out to be a horrible leader.

Once we noticed made a few reactive superficial changes that may or may not have a positive effect in the future?

Perhaps.
Maybe it was a bit the reverse.
Windies assumed that natural talent would take care of things. they still have all the talent in the world but awful domestic structure and management.
Maybe Australia assumed structure and management would take care of everything, and overlooked the idea of finding and nurturing natural talent and attitude.

Still say our Shield system is the best first class system in the world.

We don't rely on imports ala English County, play on Test wickets, and really as there are only 6 states, should, in theory, separate the wheat from the chaff.

There's so much cricket played nowadays, there never seems to be an off season.

The last 3 months have been a massive wake-up call, we're not just getting thumped in all formats, we're barely competitive.

Last edited:
Couple of long bows here

1) Are we now seeing the negative effect of the AFL system attracting the most talented teenage athletes in most states? And semi related the no. of teams going up to 18?

2) Australia is an increasingly multi cultural society. Many more families living here now who are unfamiliar with cricket and perhaps more likely to steer their kids towards sports they know - soccer, basketball for instance. Is this affecting our player pool?

Rod Marsh is the biggest joke ever cant pick a team for s**t. What a ****** he sucks of his favourite Shaun and Mitch Marsh

Why is Shaun Marsh always brought up?

He is close to the only batsman we've got who has performed in difficult times

2) Australia is an increasingly multi cultural society. Many more families living here now who are unfamiliar with cricket and perhaps more likely to steer their kids towards sports they know - soccer, basketball for instance. Is this affecting our player pool?

Not casting asperions, we've been the Anglo-Australian cricket team for 150 years.

Barely paid lip service to multi culture.

When I realised that we were going to be playing in Hobart, I braced myself for an awful batting performance - and lo and behold, I wasn't disappointed.

I believe that the problems with this current Australian side are technical, psychological, tactical and structural.

Technical: Many posters here have said that our batsmen struggle against the moving ball. I would suggest experimenting with the Duke ball in the shield to at least familiarise batsmen with the moving ball, if nothing else. Having a few more shield games in Melbourne and Hobart could also work.

Psychological: I notice that our batting lineup tends to fall in a heap. I do think that sports psychologists may serve our batsmen well.

Tactical: As I said a few days ago, we are playing beyond our means. We are trying to play aggressive, dominating cricket without the requisite skill levels, in inappropriate circumstances. I blame Lehmann for fostering this immature mindset, even more than Nielsen did. A hard taskmaster of a coach who can adapt to circumstances and encourage our batsmen to play mature, percentage cricket when called for will do our side no end of good. Also CA needs to encourage Shield coaches to have their batsmen play such cricket. Smith's captaincy has not been that great either, but IMO he is not the main problem. Mike Brearley would probably not fare much better in the current circumstances.

Structural: Posters here have also intimated that there are issues with the cricketing system as it currently exists - young guns are sheltered from club cricket, which used to be quite a tough initiation for young players. MILO cricket, where everyone is encouraged to 'have a slog', apparently hasn't helped. A reversion back to the early 1990's system, insofar as it's possible, might be needed.

20/20 is a cash cow and so is a CA favourite, but I would scale it back because I'm certain it's affecting our batsmen's mindset. Only allow our batsmen to play 20/20 if 1) they declare in writing that they are not interested in playing test cricket for Australia for at least a few years or 2) they have already retired from Test cricket and want a big pay-day. Have a competition at the end of the cricket season to bring in the required crowds and cash, not in the middle of it.

Last edited:
Does anyone care to guess when the rotting of the culture within the Australian cricket team started? I know it was happening in Michael Clark's time, but I wonder if it started during the Ponting era.
Ponting hanging around like a bad smell for the last few years of his career when it was clear he wasn't up to scratch any more couldn't have helped.

Changing a cricket ball brand won't do anything. You just have to look at what happened at lords and the oval to see that if it isn't green as grass and dark grey skies. The ball won't do anything. Only place that could replicate English conditions in Hobart. The rest is flat and sunny. Pointless changing the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back