AFL Player #30: Nate Caddy

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t see the VFL game last week. Which is why I said ‘sounds like he was the best forward’.

The form thing is fair - VFL stats seem iffy, but looks like he’s had 10 p’s, 2 grabs, 2 goals. Sounds just okay. Again, feel free to correct me there if inaccurate. But, are all the senior guys held to this same standard? Kelly was rushed back in after a shocker against Hawthorn (might be harsh on Kelly, but he was also dreadful to finish last year). Jones is emergency, so apparently ahead of Caddy - after being unnoticeable against Hawks, then an emergency.
Senior guys do get more chances as they have runs on the board. That is not a Scott thing. That is just a coach thing across any level of AFL. I do not agree Kelly had a shocker against the Hawks anyway. Not saying he was in his best form but he had to change roles mid game and he was okay bar a couple of mistakes. The thing with Kelly is he is the bloke who shone in the match sim they worked over summer on the wing and playing defensive sweeper so he had runs on the board there.

Getting back to Caddy he will play sooner than later. The 4 weeks he missed has put him just a bit behind. His game on Saturday was okay but he did run out of puff a few times in what was his first proper senior game of footy.

He was but it was the SCG and they went to Wright and Langford more.
It's probably also messing with me subconsciously because I'm used to seeing him at CBAs. Setterfield, Durham and Perkins playing through there instead has dealt that. Still, good to see we're developing them on ball. On Stringer though, I wasn't paying him a lot of attention but I don't recall him making repeat leads all night. Not sure how hard he's working.

Re: Caddy, I'd seen it written somewhere that he'd played midfield. I don't think we're likely to see him used there, but have you seen that?

It's probably also messing with me subconsciously because I'm used to seeing him at CBAs. Setterfield, Durham and Perkins playing through there instead has dealt that. Still, good to see we're developing them on ball. On Stringer though, I wasn't paying him a lot of attention but I don't recall him making repeat leads all night. Not sure how hard he's working.

Re: Caddy, I'd seen it written somewhere that he'd played midfield. I don't think we're likely to see him used there, but have you seen that?
No I have not seen him play midfield as such. Saw him take a couple of center bounces in the match sim once but he has been 99.9% forward.

On Stringer have you watched it a few times ? He was working hard enough offensively. He was just stuck in the congestion and Langford got the cream. Round 1 it was the other way around.
Hard to see what was wrong with an okay game where Jake kicked 3 goals from 14 possessions. The only thing I would chip him on was no tackles which was not good enough.

No I have not seen him play midfield as such. Saw him take a couple of center bounces in the match sim once but he has been 99.9% forward.

On Stringer have you watched it a few times ? He was working hard enough offensively. He was just stuck in the congestion and Langford got the cream. Round 1 it was the other way around.
Hard to see what was wrong with an okay game where Jake kicked 3 goals from 14 possessions. The only thing I would chip him on was no tackles which was not good enough.
Watched live and replay. Two of those goals were late which is partly why it felt like he was making up the numbers. I take your point about the congestion though. Swans were very good at getting back quickly in numbers all night. Gee they're fit. I hope we're that fit next year.

Watched live and replay. Two of those goals were late which is partly why it felt like he was making up the numbers. I take your point about the congestion though. Swans were very good at getting back quickly in numbers all night. Gee they're fit. I hope we're that fit next year.
Was what Jake did this week any worse then Langford for 3/4 against the Hawks ? Sometimes the other bloke shines.

Back to Caddy. 9 possession . 2 marks. 2 goals. 1 tackle. As much as I did not mind it if they gave him a go I also would like to see a bit more on the form front.

Was what Jake did this week any worse then Langford for 3/4 against the Hawks ? Sometimes the other bloke shines.

Back to Caddy. 9 possession . 2 marks. 2 goals. 1 tackle. As much as I did not mind it if they gave him a go I also would like to see a bit more on the form front.
Maybe not, but I was talking about Jake this week. I agree re: Caddy, he needs to be more impactful at VFL level before he can run out a game in the seniors. When he can do that I'm happy to see him in. Keen to get senior games into him with Wright taking the best defender. Logan McDonald has been really lucky to be able to develop alongside Buddy and appears to be flourishing now.

Maybe not, but I was talking about Jake this week. I agree re: Caddy, he needs to be more impactful at VFL level before he can run out a game in the seniors. When he can do that I'm happy to see him in. Keen to get senior games into him with Wright taking the best defender. Logan McDonald has been really lucky to be able to develop alongside Buddy and appears to be flourishing now.
McDonald also only played 7 games in his first year although he did play early and was out after round 5.

I could refer yo to Harry Jones who after a good beginning got senior games in his third year when his form was not great and now he is struggling to do what he was good at.

McDonald also only played 7 games in his first year although he did play early and was out after round 5.

I could refer yo to Harry Jones who after a good beginning got senior games in his third year when his form was not great and now he is struggling to do what he was good at.
Yeah if Caddy's fitness picks up and he gets 7, even 5, games this year, I'd be stoked with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

200.gif

Remembered when Fletch had his front teeth knocked out at Subi one night - a West Coast fan a dental surgeon was at the game and put them back in afterward. Didn't see what happened but Caddy might have to look after himself a little bit more.

Remembered when Fletch had his front teeth knocked out at Subi one night - a West Coast fan a dental surgeon was at the game and put them back in afterward. Didn't see what happened but Caddy might have to look after himself a little bit more.

Weideman backed into him, they collided in midair and Caddy essentially took a bite out of Weid’s head.

It always surprises me at the amount of players that roll sans mouthguard

It always surprises me at the amount of players that roll sans mouthguard

I only really see one player in the AFL without a mouthguard these days and it's Dusty.

Back in the day, Daniel Chick never wore one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back