AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would you care about playing for a good team if it could end your career prematurely?

He goes to Carlton and probably kicks 40 goals next year and plays another 10 years where he probably plays as a key forward. I have absolutely no doubt that injury permitting he will be best 22 next year for us but to this point it's hardly a guarantee from his perspective. If I'm his manager I'm telling him to think long and hard about going to a club that want him.

Plenty of careers have been ruined by players not leaving when they should (because it is in their individual long term interest).

Also, Carlton wont be on the bottom of forever and probably not even for another 18 months.
I said he wouldn't want to go to a good team?

Jayden's problem is that he's a fringe player no matter which team he goes to. His best at the moment is not enough for 40 goals per season and certainly not at a team with delivery into the forward 50 as diabolical as the Carlton standard. Carlton are 2013 Melbourne right now, years away from recording a winning ledger over a season. I cannot for the life of me see a reason to play at a football club which unequivocally has one of the worst team cultures in the league unless they're lining your pockets with gold. He is simply not good enough as a player, yet, to make that career move. He will end up like Darcy Lang.

I'd like to think he'll look at the progress of his good mate Kyle, who also had to do some hard yards in the VFL, and see how well he's doing now. You can basically put Jayden a season behind because of injury and here we are, with Laverde just about to break into the team while Langford is basically established now.

I'm liking the tough love approach TBH

I said he wouldn't want to go to a good team?

Jayden's problem is that he's a fringe player no matter which team he goes to. His best at the moment is not enough for 40 goals per season and certainly not at a team with delivery into the forward 50 as diabolical as the Carlton standard. Carlton are 2013 Melbourne right now, years away from recording a winning ledger over a season. I cannot for the life of me see a reason to play at a football club which unequivocally has one of the worst team cultures in the league unless they're lining your pockets with gold. He is simply not good enough as a player, yet, to make that career move. He will end up like Darcy Lang.

If his problem is that he is a fringe player the way to correct it, that he has most control over, is to go to a club where he won't be a fringe player.

What sort of offer do you think he'd have on the table if he's sitting on ours?

I'd say $450k and 3 to 4 years maybe even with incentives. Remember it's got to be overs as that's almost always what it takes to get a player out.

That's a "come and play in X position where we need you" contract when offered to a player like Laverde (given that it's based on promise).

I don't know what Darcy Lang has to do with anything.

As for the 40 goals comment it's a slight exaggeration but I can't help but notice that you people are masters of hindsight. Why are we even bothering with the discussion if nothing will ever change?

It's kind of like the argument that Carlton should now be given a priority pick. It's three years too late. The priority pick, unless it's a dishonest scam to enable them to trade, won't do anything for 3 years. He'll come good well after Carlton is no longer the story and then they will gain unnecessary advantage to add to the rest of their maturing list.

I assume that if they want Laverde it is to provide support to their one man forward line. He wouldn't be competing with Daniher, Stringer, Fantasia and another tall.

He'd be the focal point for a forward line with Curnow and maybe McKay. Even in my wildest dreams I wouldn't say that he could kick 40 goals next year for Essendon because he wouldn't get the supply.

Tim Membrey kicked 44 from from 17 games with the St Kilda midfield's delivery in his third year having done jack s**t in his first two years.

If you're playing for a reasonably functioning side as a competent focal point with minimal competition, 1.5 to 2 goals a game is not an extra ordinary feat.

Edit: someone will need to fact check this one but did I hear that Sexton kicked over 30 goals this year for Gold Coast?

Last edited:

Small little list of non key position player goal kickers for 2018 BrunoV

Luke Breust 53 in 22
Josh Caddy 44 in 20
Will Hoskin Elliott 39 in 22
Robbie Gray 36 in 21
De Goey 35 in 17
Jack Ziebull, Josh Thomas, Jade Gresham 35 in 22
Charlie Curnow, Tim Membrey 34 in 20

Fwiw Alex Sexton kicked 28 goals in 22 games.

Not sure we can expect a bigger impact than any of these guys.

Daniel Menzel is a similarly impact per possession type of player. He kicked 27 goals in 12 games for the Cats.

Everyone keeps calling fringe player. His best is good enough. Let's look at the facts. When he has not been injured and has been match fit he has played in our firsts team. He is a bloody good player with plenty of upside and is a bull.. I hope he stays

But the output does not match the expectation.

In 30 games he has only ever won 20 disposals once (v Melbourne this year), and kicked a career best 3 goals once (v Port this year).

Don't get me wrong, he has the physical attributes to one day be a very good player but the reality is he has not been able to put it all together as yet. Next year is make or break. Either cements his place in the ones or he fizzles out to another Elliott Kavanagh, Alex Browne, Michael Ross kid who promised so much but delivered very little.

against port his body shape looked different to me than even earlier this year. still big but a little sleeker, a little more lithe than just purely jacked. don't know if i'm imagining that?

But the output does not match the expectation.

In 30 games he has only ever won 20 disposals once (v Melbourne this year), and kicked a career best 3 goals once (v Port this year).

Don't get me wrong, he has the physical attributes to one day be a very good player but the reality is he has not been able to put it all together as yet. Next year is make or break. Either cements his place in the ones or he fizzles out to another Elliott Kavanagh, Alex Browne, Michael Ross kid who promised so much but delivered very little.
I don’t believe this is correct, I’m sure he had one game with 20 touches in his debut year

Edit: Round 20 2015

Small little list of non key position player goal kickers for 2018 BrunoV

Luke Breust 53 in 22
Josh Caddy 44 in 20
Will Hoskin Elliott 39 in 22
Robbie Gray 36 in 21
De Goey 35 in 17
Jack Ziebull, Josh Thomas, Jade Gresham 35 in 22
Charlie Curnow, Tim Membrey 34 in 20

Fwiw Alex Sexton kicked 28 goals in 22 games.

Not sure we can expect a bigger impact than any of these guys.

Daniel Menzel is a similarly impact per possession type of player. He kicked 27 goals in 12 games for the Cats.
Eddiebetts?

I don’t believe this is correct, I’m sure he had one game with 20 touches in his debut year

Edit: Round 20 2015
The overall thrust of his post is correct though. Laverde is a little over-hyped when his performance at senior level is considered. He did show some great signs against Port which is great but he will need to start producing regularly.

He has the physical attributes, just needs some better luck with injury. Hopefully he gets that next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've heard something? This pleases me greatly, if true.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-04/injuryplagued-bomber-edging-closer-to-new-deal#/
JAYDEN Laverde looks set to stay at Essendon, with the former top-20 pick edging towards a new deal with the club.

Laverde, who kicked three goals in the Bombers' final-round win over Port Adelaide, is out of contract but is believed to be getting closer to a two-year extension.

It would tie him to the Bombers until the end of 2020.

No mate, Laverde hasn't set the bar very high at all. One good quarter at AFL level in 2018. Aside from filling a critical need as the second ruck, McKernan had more of a significant impact at AFL level this year than Laverde and hence my comment.
Laverde is amazingly overrated on here. He is judged more on his rig and what he might one day demonstrate rather than actual output!

Laverde is amazingly overrated on here. He is judged more on his rig and what he might one day demonstrate rather than actual output!

I'm just nervous we'd trade him and he'd turn into a star tbh
He needs to start showing something now though. If he signs the 2 years he needs to be entrenched in the best 22 by the end of it I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back