AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Has a tendency to run under the ball a bit.

He's quite strong on ball, but I don't know if he'll ever be strong enough as a lead up forward or have the tank to be a mid to qualify selection in either area.

I think he'll be the type to dominate VFL but be largely mediocre at AFL level.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Come on Guile, prove me wrong bud.

He's quite strong on ball, but I don't know if he'll ever be strong enough as a lead up forward or have the tank to be a mid to qualify selection in either area.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Still not sure how it is possible to run 2m under the ball. He's not that quick.

The only aregument that the kicker can make about the lead is that he was drawing the leading player to the ball.

You can't run under a good kick. A good kick isn't that high.

Still not sure how it is possible to run 2m under the ball. He's not that quick.

The only aregument that the kicker can make about the lead is that he was drawing the leading player to the ball.

Kicks should never be 2m high?

Fans pouring a lot of their expectations into this kid, as he's been on the list for a while but hasn't had a chance to present due to injuries.

For mine, I'm just enjoying seeing him play his role in the team; feel like he's been reasonably good the last two weeks without being a superstar.

If he can play out the season, by then I think we'll all have a clearer idea of where this kid is headed and what he's capable of.

Jarryd Roughead routinely runs under the ball this year - almost every time he hits a contest infact. Previously he was one of the better contested marks going around. Hawks are also good by foot.

Players just need to be a few % off and it can go to s**t I reckon, all their timings, all their confidence.

very hard to put a finger on the type of player he will be, but im loathe to call for his head given we've been a superior team with the Langford/Laverde/Guelfi combo in the side.
Perhaps he's our Grigg utility type. Not great at any one thing, but his presence alone is enough.
Langford and Laverde do seem to link up quite well together wherever they are.

Even though it isn't ideal, most entries will be a long kick to a contest. Of those trajectories, it's quite easy to run under the ball, especially if you don't long for a knee in your back.

Truly valuable players will bring the ball front and square

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though it isn't ideal, most entries will be a long kick to a contest. Of those trajectories, it's quite easy to run under the ball, especially if you don't long for a knee in your back.

Truly valuable players will bring the ball front and square

No, that's not running under the ball in the context of Laverde.

It's been on the lead and the ball has been kicked too high (i.e. it's not an effective kick to a leading player).

How many times do you think leading players ran under kicks from Mercuri and Dean Rioli?

The leading forward draws the ball. If he can run under the kick, it's too high. Think about it.

Edit: and before anyone wants to continue the argument for the sake of it, yes, some players do deliberately not contest a ball which is already too high to take cleanly and try to beat their opponents working back toward goal.

Still has a lot to do. The last 2 weeks he has been okay but not good. The main thing is he has played a better defensive role and has done his job in the middle blocking out his opponent at the center bounces when he has been in there. Still has to do more around the ground.
Right now I am happy he is getting game and doing better but he has to keep finding a new level.

I really hope I'm wrong.

A lot of the hit up leads were kicked above the head during the gws game

Would like them to lower the eyes a bit and hit them on the chest can’t afford to put it above thier heads against Rance and co

Thought GWS game was markedly better than the two prior.

If he can add a little more to that and make that his baseline performance, I’ll be happy enough.

Still has a lot to do. The last 2 weeks he has been okay but not good. The main thing is he has played a better defensive role and has done his job in the middle blocking out his opponent at the center bounces when he has been in there. Still has to do more around the ground.
Right now I am happy he is getting game and doing better but he has to keep finding a new level.

It's almost like he played the first match this year against Melbourne purely on instinct, then reality caught up to him and he started to play like someone who is badly out of practice at AFL level.

It still looks like he's adapting to the pace and intensity of AFL - flailing arms and fumbles indicate as much. I think that it's a sign of his strength and general athleticism that, particularly against GWS, he can still drive his way through a tackle to do something effective (e.g. handballs and even some tap-ons).

Some of his ball use in congestion was really good and has gone completely unnoticed. Each one of his 'hacks' was either marked or put to our advantage. Kicking skills for unknown commodities are generally only regarded as being as good as the most recent performances but Laverde's generally an excellent field kick. He weights the ball almost perfectly and he's creative/got good vision.

He also seemed to be covering more ground against GWS, though his overall game time is still quite low.

I'm still not sure what he is doing in some pack marking scenarios. From what we've seen of his under 18 days he'd be standing on the pack rather than at the side not really going for the ball.

It's very much little things at this stage when I think we all expected him to making more obvious contributions (kicking goals in particular) but the signs are there.

You know what he is capable of and I think that it's all just around the corner. He's not playing with any confidence and I suspect that he's feeling the pressure of a career that has not gone according to script.

If you look at it in terms of games played, he's tracking very similarly to Petracca and De Goey who both got much better runs at 2016 and 2017 which has enabled them to get much closer to fulfilling respective potential sooner than it has with Laverde.

Last edited:
agree with bruno. talent doesn't go anywhere. form, confidence, fitness - yes. but talent, no.

you could see in his early games that he has the skills and intensity. i'm just rapt to see him get a block of games. he'll get incrementally better and better and then suddenly pop out and star.

Some of the calls about Lav on here are farcical.

Comparing Lav to established stars when he is yet to demonstrate he can consistently perform as an AFL player is total lids off stuff. In the clouds.

Not having an AFL contract for 2019 after this small run of games we are only slightly closer to establishing if the kid is going to make it, even as a fringe player.

He needs to play way more games & show us a hell of a lot more in games before I am convinced he will make it.

Subject to consistent hard work on the field, doing the team things and growing each week I am happy to continue with this run of games.

He is still a maybe, not a definite maybe either.

Comparing Lav to established stars when he is yet to demonstrate he can consistently perform as an AFL player is total lids off stuff. In the clouds.

I love that De Goey is an 'established star' because he kicked 11 goals in two weeks followed by nothing. If Petracca became an established star it must have been recently because every Melbourne supporter I speak to is still waiting to see what all the fuss is about.

Let's wind their respective careers back to the point that they had played 28 games, even then it's essentially uninterrupted games, and see who the established star is.

De Goey's name has been raised on numerous occasions on this forum as a possible target and it has been shot down almost every time (prior to May 2018).

I think they're pretty good points of comparison because they're similar sizes, shapes, playing positions and styles and were all taken in the same draft. De Goey and Petracca have had the benefit of largely uninterrupted 2016 and 2017.

I suppose the good news is that Laverde could kick 11 goals in the next two games before the bye, knock on Dodoro's door and ask for $1,000,000 a year. * me, if that's not incentive nothing is.

Last edited:
Some of the calls about Lav on here are farcical.

Not having an AFL contract for 2019 after this small run of games we are only slightly closer to establishing if the kid is going to make it, even as a fringe player.

He needs to play way more games & show us a hell of a lot more in games before I am convinced he will make it.

Subject to consistent hard work on the field, doing the team things and growing each week I am happy to continue with this run of games.

He is still a maybe, not a definite maybe either.
Yeah it's kinda like when people say player x has gone past player y on the basis of a few games. I normally just smile, shake my head and keep scrolling.

I love that De Goey is an 'established star' because he kicked 11 goals in two weeks followed by nothing. If Petracca became an established star it must have been recently because every Melbourne supporter I speak to is still waiting to see what all the fuss is about.

Let's wind their respective careers back to the point that they had played 28 games, even then it's essentially uninterrupted games, and see who the established star is.

De Goey's name has been raised on numerous occasions on this forum as a possible target and it has been shot down almost every time (prior to May 2018).

I think they're pretty good points of comparison because they're similar sizes, shapes, playing positions and styles and were all taken in the same draft. De Goey and Petracca have had the benefit of largely uninterrupted 2016 and 2017.

I suppose the good news is that Laverde could kick 11 goals in the next two games before the bye, knock on Dodoro's door and ask for $1,000,000 a year. **** me, if that's not incentive nothing is.

Isnt Luke Parker a gun?
Petracca is a very good player that we would love. Ditto a law abiding reformed De Goey..

I would argue that Parker is an established star, Patracca ain’t far off and De Goey is well on the way.

As for Lav, well will he get a contract next year at bomber land?

I would love for Lav to succeed and become half the player some have suggested he will become but we got a long way to go to reach that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back