AFL Player #40: Tex Wanganeen - Running and kicking drills at training - 23/3

Remove this Banner Ad

I would just pick and stick from here. Season is over from a finals stand point.
Floats in and out of games but as his tank builds he will get more consistent.

Has enough tricks to make it.

The biggest thing for me is endeavour. When it is his time to 'go' he does. Throws himself into a contest and tackles. Wet night in Adelaide wasn't ideal for a kid who weighed in at 50kg wet but showed enough endeavour.

Has to play. Sick of the kids going in and out when they need continuity.

The biggest thing for me is endeavour. When it is his time to 'go' he does. Throws himself into a contest and tackles. Wet night in Adelaide wasn't ideal for a kid who weighed in at 50kg wet but showed enough endeavour.

Has to play. Sick of the kids going in and out when they need continuity.
Think your last line is an over reaction. Most of the young blokes have had a good run at it. Tex is more ready now than he was early. You can actually see he has build up a little despite being on the sidelines. Baldwin was not really up to it and Bryan is still 5kg too light and a pre season away from being physically ready.

Apparently out for the rest of the season with a foot injury. What a wasted year of development.
Not a total waste. Got to play some senior footy.

But no long stretches of consistency where he was really able to develop his game and gather confidence. I think we really mismanaged him.
How ?

But no long stretches of consistency where he was really able to develop his game and gather confidence. I think we really mismanaged him.

I don’t think he missed any games that weren’t due to him having a niggle or being a travelling emergency or sub.

VFL byes are a bit of a s**t but he’s played at essentially every available opportunity.

Huge upside. scary.
Oh My God Reaction GIF

Made the list had like 3 weeks off playing. Then comes back and was made the sub, and he didn’t play. Then he made the 22 and played a couple of games was clearly not ready. Dropped back to the vfl, then given some weeks off again. Had a game in the vfl where he had 7 touches, then next game he’s made the sub again, plays half a qtr. plays next week in the 22 off zero form, hardly gets near it again.
I just don’t think he was ever given a chance to build any consistent form, yes vfl byes come into but the club knows when they are coming into the year.

Made the list had like 3 weeks off playing. Then comes back and was made the sub, and he didn’t play. Then he made the 22 and played a couple of games was clearly not ready. Dropped back to the vfl, then given some weeks off again. Had a game in the vfl where he had 7 touches, then next game he’s made the sub again, plays half a qtr. plays next week in the 22 off zero form, hardly gets near it again.
I just don’t think he was ever given a chance to build any consistent form, yes vfl byes come into but the club knows when they are coming into the year.
They managed his fitness levels. They had to. He was coming in of a very low base.

They managed his fitness levels. They had to. He was coming in of a very low base.
That’s fine if you’re going to give in weeks in the vfl when he comes back. Don’t play him as the sub, then in the afl off zero form. Give him a chance to dominate vfl for a period, gather confidence, so when he gets his chance he can perform.

That’s fine if you’re going to give in weeks in the vfl when he comes back. Don’t play him as the sub, then in the afl off zero form. Give him a chance to dominate vfl for a period, gather confidence, so when he gets his chance he can perform.
And that is fine if his fitness levels where what you normally expect from someone in the draft. On top of that he was a late start to pre season missing most of the pre Christmas period. I think he did massively well considering how far back he came from. Too bad he is now injured. Another block of 3 or 4 VFL games would have been good. He was on a managed program. His biggest issue was running out full games. Pretty sure he gained a massive amount of confidence playing the few AFL games he did. In the long run it was not really important what he did this year anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile, Tex Wanganeen has undergone successful surgery after battling soreness in the ankle/foot area but has been ruled out for the remainder of the season.

“Tex has been battling some ankle/foot soreness. We’ve been working through what that looks like for him and we decided the best course of action was surgery,” Murphy said.

“He’ll now go through that rehab process and we won’t see him for the rest of the season and the plan will be to build him back up again and by the end of the season, he should be up and running again in time for a full pre-season campaign.”

Apparently signed a new 2 year deal

Wanganeen will remain in the red and black until at least the end of 2024 on a two-year deal, while Phillips and Voss have committed to one-year deals respectively.

After joining the club through the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP), Wanganeen has re-signed as a rookie, after impressing in his five games at AFL level.

The 18-year-old made his debut as the medical sub in round two and secured a starting position the following round, mere weeks after signing with the Club.

Wanganeen said he was grateful for Essendon's support and the opportunity to continue developing his football.

“The Club has been unbelievable in the support they’ve shown to me throughout my football journey, whether that be through my time in the James Hird Academy, as a train-on player and now as an AFL player,” Wanganeen said.

“I’ve grown up loving the Essendon Football Club, so I’m very excited to see where our playing group can go in the years ahead.”

Hasn't had a lot of the ball when he has played, but just how he has gone about it for a kid was great.

Last edited:
Are we super generous with our list decisions? Was anyone else offering two I doubt it so don't see the need to offer two.

still just a rookie draft prospect no certainty to make it. Hope he does though as good from a eye test but statistically battles.

Are we super generous with our list decisions? Was anyone else offering two I doubt it so don't see the need to offer two.

still just a rookie draft prospect no certainty to make it. Hope he does though as good from a eye test but statistically battles.
We're not. In fact, we're more likely to give 1 year extensions than most because we regularly have amongst the most OOC every year in the AFL. 2 years isn't a big deal and probably appropriate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back