Recommitted Aaron Naughton [re-signed for EIGHT years!]

Remove this Banner Ad

umm

His current output is 44 goals a year........

You think that at 900k a year (7m over 8) ,he is underpaid for that?

Lets be very clear.....dogs aren't paying for his current output, they are paying his potential future output.
You're not taking account of the change in salary cap. 37% increase in the next few years means that 900k in the future is the same proportion of the salary cap that 660k is now. That doesn't even take into account that it'll likely go up even further in the future.

There won't be many decent key forwards on under 1m within a few years.

Do you think what Naughton is delivering right now is worth his current 800k? I dont. Absurd money for a 44 goal year. No dog fans can look anyone in the eye and say otherwise.

I think narrowing the value of the player down to JUST goals kicked is over-simplifying. There are 44-goal forwards and 44-goal forwards. Team structure, quality of defender required, goal/score assists, etc all DO make a difference to the value of the player. I don't think many would argue that Naughton isn't a vastly better player than, say, Eric Hipwood, right? Even though on paper in 2023 they may appear comparable.

Naughton's stats look pretty similar to Tom Hawkins at around the same sort of age and stage. Naughton probably delivered more earlier, Hawkins around this age (23/24) took a noticeable step upwards. Dogs are banking on similar step for Naughton.

Just because rival teams are offering stupid deals doesn't mean the supporters of those teams agree with it.

IE. We are chasing Mckay for 5 years at 775k. I think its ******* stupid. he is no way near worth it. Sometime that's the market though, you overpay players hoping it works out for you.

Do you think what Naughton is delivering right now is worth his current 800k? I dont. Absurd money for a 44 goal year. No dog fans can look anyone in the eye and say otherwise.

You are paying for his potential. Not what he is delivering now.

Probably not based on this year but 2021- lead the league in contested marks comfortably + 47 goals
2022- 51 goals. Top 5 contested marks.
2023- bit of a down year but in fairness to him, our system is dog sh**.
He’s vital for our structure.
Dogs fans hoping new assistant coaches will fix this, and even a new senior coach not far away too.

You're not taking account of the change in salary cap. 37% increase in the next few years means that 900k in the future is the same proportion of the salary cap that 660k is now. That doesn't even take into account that it'll likely go up even further in the future.

Are you suggesting Naughton hasn't negotiated the % increase into this contract?

Highly unlikely IMO

Just because rival teams are offering stupid deals doesn't mean the supporters of those teams agree with it.

IE. We are chasing Mckay for 5 years at 775k. I think its ******* stupid. he is no way near worth it. Sometime that's the market though, you overpay players hoping it works out for you.

You are paying for his potential. Not what he is delivering now.
He's our best pressure forward as well and easily the best KPD at it. And our VC. Measuring goals only is a pretty limited way of looking at a player.

Dogs fans who watch him closely are pretty much universally comfortable with the deal. I'm certainly comfortable.

Given the problems we have, 8 years for Naughts is least of our issues.

Probably not based on this year but 2021- lead the league in contested marks comfortably + 47 goals
2022- 51 goals. Top 5 contested marks.
2023- bit of a down year but in fairness to him, our system is dog sh**.
He’s vital for our structure.
Dogs fans hoping new assistant coaches will fix this, and even a new senior coach not far away too.

so we agree

you are paying for his potential, not what he is currently delivering.

Are you suggesting Naughton hasn't negotiated the % increase into this contract?

Highly unlikely IMO
No one knows. It could be a flat $1 million a year for the entire 8 years. It could be $800k starting point with increases based on the CBA.

No one will ever know. It's all a pure guessing game.

He's our best pressure forward as well and easily the best KPD at it. And our VC. Measuring goals only is a pretty limited way of looking at a player.

Dogs fans who watch him closely are pretty much universally comfortable with the deal. I'm certainly comfortable.

Given the problems we have, 8 years for Naughts is least of our issues.

not really arguing that. My point is you guys are paying for what he could be, not what he currently is.

No one knows. It could be a flat $1 million a year for the entire 8 years. It could be $800k starting point with increases based on the CBA.

No one will ever know. It's all a pure guessing game.

true but i find it highly unlikely someone who has as much bargaining power as Naughton who is signing a deal which will take him over multiple pay increases hasn't negotied some type of % increase into his contract.

highly unlikely to impossible IMO

Was never going to less than 6 years, so a tax has definitely been paid to get this deal done now. Exact numbers are going to fluctuate depending on who you talk to but I'm fine with this. He'll play 300 + games.

Highly unlikely IMO
My initial comment was that you can't judge the deal without knowing the terms. I just gave the example that even if its a high annual salary now it may not necessarily be a bad deal like some are stating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My initial comment was that you can't judge the deal without knowing the terms. I just gave the example that even if its a high annual salary now it may not necessarily be a bad deal like some are stating.

It's an assumption of course, but at least an educated assumption.

Deals like Naughton's that are over multiple CBA's are highly unlikely not to include CBA % uplift.

He isn't some dude on 300k a 2-year deal, he clearly has high leverage (reportedly other clubs offering 10 years deal) and id be utterly shocked if he doesn't have CBA % increases in this contract.

I'm fine with clubs giving players long term deals. They are only ever given to big time players, and as we have seen, it in no way stops the player from changing teams. All ot does is give the club some long term hold on the player.

so we agree

you are paying for his potential, not what he is currently delivering.

Potential would be based on something we’ve never seen. We know what he can do and his skill set.

His 2021 and 2022 seasons were very good. 2021 he was huge.

So if we’ve already seen it, how is it considered as “potential”?

Last edited:
Potential would be based on something we’ve never seen.

His 2021 and 2022 seasons were very good. 2021 he was huge.

So if we’ve already seen it, how is it considered as “potential”?

so let me get this straight.

If Naughtons ceiling is a 51-goal season (IE, his 2022 season) IE he will never do better than it. For the next 8 years.

You are Ok with that? Doubt it.

The Club is clearly hoping he can be a lot better than what he has already delivered. That is called potential.

Wow. You are far too gone man.

I’m moving on.

Just admit you are hoping he can be better than what he has already delivered to date.

Its not hard to admit rofl.

All I'm saying is the dogs are paying him based on what they hope he can be, not what he is. Dunno why it's so hard to admit it.

Thank god you’re not a list manager. You’d be purely signing players on goal numbers.

Start thinking outside the box.

I never said paying players on potential is a bad thing. Essendon do it all the time. You just wont admit thats what the dogs are doing.

So you agree that the Dogs are offering him an 8-year contract hoping he can be a much better player than he is now?

so let me get this straight.

If Naughtons ceiling is a 51-goal season (IE, his 2022 season) IE he will never do better than it. For the next 8 years.

You are Ok with that? Doubt it.

The Club is clearly hoping he can be a lot better than what he has already delivered. That is called potential.
See above post. 50 goals a year and top 5 contested marks. Those players don’t grow on trees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back