Toast Adam Selwood and Mark Nicoski retire

Remove this Banner Ad

I know people's opinion, including mine, of Adam Selwood's ability was decreasing game by game, but what he provided in the past was very very impressive and he should be remembered as a vital cog to our mid 2000 dominance.

Nicoski I feel sorry for, having missed out on the grand final, but having revitalised his career from half back to zone busting half forward, I feel he was in our best 22 even until today. Injuries cost him more than most.

Both will be missed as a presence around the club, well done to both.

Am I getting confused with the WAFL alignment eligibility changes from a few years back?

Possibly. We can't take players based on their father's WAFL games any more anyway, we're limited to sons of Eagles (e.g. Jacob Brennan, Alec Waterman, Zac Mainwaring).

Typical of Nico he was injured and missed the second half of the '06 season.

Will never forget the embrace between him & Brauny after the siren went, can't seem to find a picture of it though :thumbsdown:

was actually him and fletcher. try your luck with that. that brought a tear to my eye at the time you could see how devo fletcher was for nicoski.

One of the reasons why West Coast were able to climb back up the ladder in 2011 was because of Nicoski breakout season which saw the half forward/wingman kick 41 goals from 25 games. He was an attacking weapon on that forward line with his left foot kicking a real feature of his game. I thought Adam Selwood was an underrated tagger. Not the most skilled player going around, but he gave it his all during his 11 year career and he goes out playing 186 games for the Eagles.

Good luck to those two in their future. :thumbsu:

Yep, very good, loyal servants to the club. Congrats to both on good careers. :thumbsu:

Sad to see these two retire. Selwood was a true warrior. His body took some battering over the years. Real shame nico has so many injuries. He was a classy player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two guys who gave their absolute all to the club, will be remembered as fantastic clubmen. Nico's 2011 was one of my favourite individual years from a player, he epitomized our resurgence that year. Adam sounds like a great guy who I believe has the tools to become a very good development coach.

Well done to Nico and Adam. From everything I've ever heard, read and seen you couldn't have asked for any more dedicated clubmen than these blokes. If there's opportunities for them at the club they'd always be welcome down there I reckon.

Looking back it's unbelievable what a rotten run Nico had with injury. His 2011 resurrection as a goal-sneaking forward was magic and a real highlight of that season for me. One wonders what he might have become if he'd been able to stay healthy more often.

As for Adam, I've stated on here before that I always thought he had "future-captain" written all over him in those dark, dark post-judd/cousins days. Like each of his brothers he always gave his all without any thought for self-preservation and left it all out on the paddock every week. I'd say all of us are left with very positive memories. Here's one of my favourites:

Hopefully Selwood can get a farewell game in round 23. Was always a selfless player so I hope the club can do the same for him.

Congratulations to both players.

Adam a Premiership player and hard as nails, had plenty of knockers on here but I always thought he got the most out of himself and showed that guts and determination still has a place in out game over just skills or pace.

Nicoski was very unlucky with injury but for someone picked in the rookie draft he did more than some #1 draft picks have.

Could see both coaching at some level going forward.:thumbsu:

well done to the boys,niko for reinventing himself as a forward when he was washed up as a backman and selwood who was instrumental in implementing the duck as a game winning strategy

Congrats to both fellas on ending there career with there dignity and respect within the club intact, and thanks for your years of service both on and off the field

It's a shame we never really got to see the best of Nicoski due to a cruel injury history but his 2011 season will always go down as special when he helped lead a resurgent team up the leader

For Selwood the new style of game had passed him by but again looking back on his highlights he along with Stenglein were very effective stoppers back in the early to mid 2000s with Selwood often getting the job on a dangerous small forward and was hard to beat

Thanks again fellas and hopefully West Coast, Subiaco or East Perth can find roles within the club for you to hopefully continue your progression into other areas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back