List Mgmt. Adelaide 2018 End-of-Season List Management Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
The recent signings of Lynch, Douglas and Sloane mean that most of our high profile players are now safely locked away. Seedsman is probably the only player left who is a "priority" signing. This means that we can now have greater clarity, allowing us to start thinking about the likely list management decisions coming in a few months time.

We currently have picks #7 (our 1st round), #13 (Melbourne's 1st), #19 (Carlton's 2nd), and #37 (Carlton's 3rd), plus later picks. I can definitely see us using all 4 of these selections, plus the promotion of Murphy to the senior list. I think we'll stick with the existing mix of 38 senior + 6 rookie players. That means a minimum of 5 senior players being delisted.

Here is the list of players who don't currently have a 2019 contract:
David Mackay (10+ yrs)
Paul Seedsman
Harry Dear
Matthew Signorello
Ben Davis
Andy otten
Sam Gibson (confirmed by his management)
Kyle Cheney
Paul Hunter (R)
Ben Jarman (R)
Lachlan Murphy (R)
Patrick Wilson (R)
Jackson Edwards (R)
Cameron Ellis Yolmen (R)
Curtly Hampton

Here's my guesses:
  • Mackay - Will almost certainly get a new contract, but probably only for 12-months. We're into July now and he's still an automatic selection when fit, so there's no reason to think he'll be discarded.
  • Dear - Delisted
  • Signorello - Delisted
  • Davis - I'm guessing he'll get a new contract, in the 1-2 year range.
  • Otten - Probably delisted, though our lack of KPP depth may force us to keep him.
  • Gibson - Probably delisted, but could get a 12-month contract.
  • Cheney - Started the year with a "dead man walking" contract, but I think he's done enough to survive it. I'd like to see him given at least another 12 months, gaining selection ahead of Kelly.
  • Hampton - Would have been told to clean out his locker on Monday if I'd been in charge. I will be very surprised and disappointed if he's given a new contract.
  • Hunter (R) - Delist
  • Murphy (R) - Promote to senior list.
  • Wilson (R) - Retain on rookie list.
  • Edwards (R) - Retain on rookie list.
  • Jarman (R) - Delist
  • CEY (R) - Delist

I think CEY stays on the rookie list, he's not going to be a superstar but he showed earlier this season he can hold his own in case of emergency.

Otten stays due to pure needs basis.
Cheney deserves another contract, agreed.

Gibson, Mackay all on one-year deals. Maybe on the rookie list if spots needed.

Hampton, Sig, Dear, Hunter gone and Wilson to get the Beech treatment.

Hampton, Sig & Dear makes 3 delistings from the senior list.

We need to make 5 cuts, if we're going to make 4 draft selections and promote Murphy. That's why I think Gibson & Otten are both likely departures as well.

It's supposed to be a strong draft, so I think we'll want as many youngsters going on the rookie list as possible. That means we probably won't be clogging it with players like Gibson, Mackay and CEY.

Sounds about right.

Wilson is good for the current injury ravaged reserves team. Not sure whether this plays into his future. Hopefully with a healthier list next year, CEY can be that player while still being handy at AFL level.

If McGovern does end up going then Otten stays. If not sayonara Andy and thanks for the great effort.

Hampton agreed is playing like a player told he is on his last legs

Dear , may end up doing a Shaun McKernan but it wont be at Adelaide

Hunter might be the same but he wont be at Adelaide

Signorello I have no idea .

Gibson I think stays ( 2 year contract) . Cheney stays. CEY stays.

Still think we make some trades of players this year that might impact this discussion. Some players would have to see the writing on the wall.

Atkins, Kelly and maybe even Jenkins could all potentially find themselves on the outer before their contract expires, yet also would have some interest from interstate teams. With all the games we are getting into youth this year those guys would have to feel the pressure on their spot building.

Otten to retire.

Hampton, Dear, Gibson and Sig (unless he shows something in the last seven weeks) delisted.

Davis, CEY and Cheney to get a one year deal. Mackay to be offered a one year deal but encouraged to explore free agency.

Jarman (see Sig) , Wilson and Hunter cut from the rookie list, while Murphy will almost certainly be upgraded.

I think we'll take 4 national draft picks. I don't think we'll upgrade Murphy now that rookie listed players can be played whenever.

David Mackay - I'd love to see him go but will get an extension, probably 1-2 years
Paul Seedsman - retain for 2-3 years
Ben Davis - retain for 1-2 years
Kyle Cheney - retain for 1 year
Andy Otten - retain for 1 year

Harry Dear - delist
Curtly Hampton - delist
Sam Gibson - delist
Matt Signorello - delist

Paul Hunter (R) - three years on the rookie list, either needs to be delisted or upgraded, therefore delist
Ben Jarman (R) - delist
Lachlan Murphy (R) - retain for another year on rookie list, then promote at end of 2019 if cemented
Patrick Wilson (R) - delist
Jackson Edwards (R) - retain for another year on the rookie list
Cameron Ellis Yolmen (R) - retain for another year on the rookie list

I'd then see us taking 4 national draft picks and three rookie picks. Can't see us taking 4 rookie draft picks in the one year as Vader suggested.

upload_2018-7-11_11-58-4.png

So thats 7 out and 2 in. Leaves 5 picks and 3 rookie picks to give us 38 and 6 again. CEY is good depth and should captain the SANFL

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-11_11-56-56.png
    upload_2018-7-11_11-56-56.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely this is a year to fill up the list as much as possible, though I can't find any precise list rules. Seems like you can have 44 main plus cat A list players and not more than 7 rookie list players, with not more than 6 cat A rookies, with not more than 3 Cat B rookies.

Surely this is a year to fill up the list as much as possible, though I can't find any precise list rules. Seems like you can have 44 main plus cat A list players and not more than 7 rookie list players, with not more than 6 cat A rookies, with not more than 3 Cat B rookies.
List Sizes are
40+4
39+5
38+6

We have 38 and 6

Plus you can have up to 3 Category B rookies

40 main list
4 Cat A rookies
3 Cat B rookies

The less on the main list, the more Cat A rookies; up to 38+6 (like this year)

38 and 6
Sig off main to rookie
37 and 7
Dear delisted off main
36 and 7

Hunter delisted off rookie
36 and 6
Wilson delisted off rookie
36 and 5
Swap Otten to rookie list, swap CEY to main
No change
Delist one of Hampton and Gibson, flip a coin, say Gibson.
34 and 5
Delist jarman (have to don't we? or is it 3 years and then compulsory upgrade? we cant have him on rookie list again can we?)
34 and 4

Four-five main picks and 2-1 rookie picks, not counting effect of trades.

EDIT -also get a cat B or 2 smokies, we're due for one or two I reckon

Can someone tell me why they think the club would promote CEY back to the senior list? I think he's more likely to be delisted. Putting that aside, he can still be selected for AFL games while on the rookie list, so why would they want to promote him?

Carmo and crows dude have both made this suggestion. I would love to hear your reasoning.

I reckon Otten will stick around for another year. Handy depth, and can pinch hit in the ruck if we need him to (which is not impossible given that Jacobs is literally the only fit ruckman on our list at the moment).

Ellis-Yolmen will be retained too, I reckon. Was more than adequate earlier in the season. Could even be upgraded.

Cheney should be retained. He might not be great as a KPD but he's the closest thing to backup we have in that area if any two of Talia, Hartigan or Keath are down.

Obviously Seedsman and Mackay will be here next year. That leaves us with Signorello, Davis, Dear, Gibson and Hampton as outs. I wonder if we'll try to move one of them to the rookie list?

RE-SIGNED or UPGRADED:
Paul Seedsman
Ben Davis
Andy Otten
Lachlan Murphy (R)

RETAINED AS ROOKIES
Jackson Edwards (R)
Cameron Ellis Yolmen (R)

TO ANOTHER CLUB:
David Mackay (10+ yrs)

DELIST
Harry Dear