Adelaide Oval: Trouble in Paradise

Remove this Banner Ad

We are always hearing how incredibly loud the AO is during games and particularly when NTUA is played. We saw on the weekend in Kens pre game interview he couldn’t hear the reporter standing only 1m away.

I have often thought that from a psychological view, does that noise before the match actually hinder our team more than motivate and pump them up? There is some evidence to suggest that loud noice and increase stimulus can negatively affect personal performance. Perhaps there is something in this and rather than intimidate the opposition, it’s having an inverse reaction and negatively affects us more. Combined with the expectation of a win, is NTUA putting too much external stimuli on our players which is causing them too perform poorly at home?

An article from a recent study.

“Attention plays a significant role in daily activities such as physical movements, emotional responses and perceptual and cognitive functions. When quantifiable information processing is limited, the attention system directs human behaviour based on geographic and temporal characteristics. Noise can affect performance either by impairing information processing or causing changes in strategic responses. In particular, noise increases the level of general alertness or activation and attention. Noise can also reduce performance accuracy and working memory performance, but does not seem to affect performance speed. The scope of cognitive and mental function is diverse, encompassing reaction time, attention, memory, intelligence and concentration, to name a few. Altered cognitive function leads to human error and subsequently increases accidents. This can ultimately lead to reduced performance and productivity.”

The thing that shits me with NTUA is it's drifted from being a statement of the unified Port fan base against everyone else, including our game opponents, into just a sing-a-long where too many are either a) swaying their scarf side to side like it's a Wiggles concert or b) happy to have opposition fans join in or both. It SHOULD be a pre-game attempt to intimidate the other side, similar to the Haka, trying to get into the heads of their players, letting them know they are going to hear it from the first bounce by a raging mass of Port fans. Instead we get 'Raise your scarves Power fans!!'. I know we need all those who jumped on the bandwagon from 2013 onwards and go to games, but did 90% of them just pick us because they like Teal? In this and so many other ways they seem to have no idea what the PAFC is (or at least was) actually all about.

Last edited:
The thing that shits me with NTUA is it's drifted from being a statement of the unified Port fan base against everyone else, including our game opponents, into just a sing-a-long where too many are either a) swaying their scarf side to side like it's a Wiggles concert or b) happy to have opposition fans join in or both. It SHOULD be a pre-game attempt to intimidate the other side, similar to the Haka, trying to get into the heads of their players, letting them know they are going to hear it from the first bounce by a raging mass of Port fans. Instead we get 'Raise your scarves Power fans!!'. I know we need all those who jumped on the bandwagon from 2013 onwards and go to games, but did 90% of them just pick us because they like Teal? In this and so many other ways they seem to have no idea what the PAFC is (or at least was) actually all about.
A Pengilly sax solo in the goal square would put a nice cap on the Hinkley-Koch era.

Well, we can’t have it both ways. We can’t get 40,000 + to games without dragging in a few theatre goers who aren’t as educated in the Port ethos as the rest of us. However, this problem is much greater down at the swamp where 90% of the supporter base are theatre goers and the remaining 10% do a remarkable job of concealing that they have even the faintest idea about the game.

NTUA is not the problem though and neither is the teal. I would like to see the club do more to educate our supporters on how the game is played because I am proud of the fact that our supporters are the most “football literate” in the league and I’d like to keep it that way. I hope we have more Supporters Coventions or whatever they called it when COVID permits.

I always think of the song, NOT as a motivational tool, because it's NOT for the players, they can find their own motivation - it's for the supporters standing together, Power and Magpies, as one, undivided.

And it's NOT to intimidate the oppo, but I guess if it does, well that's just a bonus.

It's saying we supporters will NOT be broken by forces that seek to divide us.

I raise my scarf not because an announcer asks me to, but because I choose to, and because my scarf is a symbol of solidarity and unification that I am proud to display.
If some see that as being a "theatre goer" well, meh. To each their own. I yell the song and hold the banner high, and **** what others want me to do.

I don't do the whole scarf waving thing but my kids do and they love it.

8CCF6142-8278-45EA-AEC6-D4B69729F310.jpeg

• Holding your scarf up, staunch and still, with pride ✅

9A2A091B-115A-486E-8B55-D8357D7F78A3.jpeg

• Swaying it side to side, often limp, like an old duck’s Life Be In It introductory dance class at your local community centre ❌

How is a ballad about togetherness going to intimidate an opposition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hold my scarf still, but i'm not overly fussed by people who sway a bit. I'd much rather people just do what they want than direct anyone to do anything regarding it or to have a list of rules etc.

The vast majority of people hold their scarf still, and people who don't will eventually fall in line with the crowd when they realise they're doing something different to everyone else.

I always think of the song, NOT as a motivational tool, because it's NOT for the players, they can find their own motivation - it's for the supporters standing together, Power and Magpies, as one, undivided.

And it's NOT to intimidate the oppo, but I guess if it does, well that's just a bonus.

It's saying we supporters will NOT be broken by forces that seek to divide us.

I raise my scarf not because an announcer asks me to, but because I choose to, and because my scarf is a symbol of solidarity and unification that I am proud to display.
If some see that as being a "theatre goer" well, meh. To each their own. I yell the song and hold the banner high, and **** what others want me to do.

My kids love it, is it a bit theatre/spectical? Yeah but so what, the new generation aren’t going to live through a flag every other year are they? You have to also consider it’s unscripted and means something, no other club in the AFL can do it like we do, in fact no other sporting organisation in Australia can….. and we are sitting here on BigFooty critiquing it? Go outside, get some sun…

I hold my scarf still, but i'm not overly fussed by people who sway a bit. I'd much rather people just do what they want than direct anyone to do anything regarding it or to have a list of rules etc.

The vast majority of people hold their scarf still, and people who don't will eventually fall in line with the crowd when they realise they're doing something different to everyone else.
Yup.
I hold the scarf stationary - until the last line. Then I drop it down a bit, and then punch it as high as I can (with the old stiff-arm posture) 😝

1634769532727.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's okay but the swaying malarkey gets a bit cringey

I routinely substitute “I, I was standing” for “keep, keep your scarves still”, “you were there” = “keep’em still”, “two worlds collided” = “swaying’s misguided”.

It’s the little things right before watching the team pathetically capitulate in front of the nation, ya know?

I routinely substitute “I, I was standing” for “keep, keep your scarves still”, “you were there” = “keep’em still”, “two worlds collided” = “swaying’s misguided”.

It’s the little things right before watching the team pathetically capitulate in front of the nation, ya know?

Meanwhile "WAVE EM AROUND ESSENDON FANS!1!1!!11"

To be truly authentic, people need to wrap their scarves around their necks and hang themselves from the rafters.

The safe word is Sack Hinkley

Dark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back