Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 2 - Saints v Demons Sat March 27th 7:25pm AEDT (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We have like 15 small forwards who are all dangerous lol they are going to get a lot of i50s to work with at Marvel
And how did that turn out for you guys?

Lol

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Spud deserved a lot better
What does this even mean? Spud died about 18 months ago. No doubt the St Kilda players grieved, as did everyone, and its nice they held this game and the message behind it was good, but what were they meant to do? They played pretty badly, but you can't contrive grief for a guy they'd have known (but probably not too well) so long after his passing.

What does this even mean? Spud died about 18 months ago. No doubt the St Kilda players grieved, as did everyone, and its nice they held this game and the message behind it was good, but what were they meant to do? They played pretty badly, but you can't contrive grief for a guy they'd have known (but probably not too well) so long after his passing.
So true.
Stkilda had a good season last year, but they were often out of the blocks early, then held on. Last week was a solid win, but it was in the wet, and that is always 50/50 They aren't a fit side, and it will be exposed for a while to come yet

You Tigers are an arrogant lot. Spud would love a contest. Anything else and f you.
I'd probably say the same thing if Richmond played in a game with so many skill areas. I'm not the only one here who noticed that both teams, especially Saints, can play heaps better.

I ended up going to this game as a neutral supporter with my best mate who follows the Saints. I dunno what caught me more off guard, how bad the Saints were or how strong the Dees looked?

I personally rate Melbourne, I think they’ve got a reliable backline, an elite midfield but a questionable forward line. I think the acquisition of Ben Brown will straighten them up. If they can be consistent, I genuinely think they can make top 8.

Saints on the other hand, were poor. It would’ve been a frustrating night being a St.Kilda forward because their forward 50 entries were TERRIBLE. It’s only very early days in the season, but they wouldn’t wanna have many more nights like that with poor skill execution if they have aspirations of a top 4 finish and progressing further than last year. They were lucky not to be beaten by 50 points. Ryder and Marshall’s return will give them a huge boost, Brad Crouch comes into their midfield now too and if he can stay fit, Hannebery gives them some more experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I look at the Saints and see them as similar to the Dees in 2019. Following a year playing finals they have trouble consolidating.

The big one for me heading into the game was experience. We had many more 150+ game players even though the average age was very similar. That games played generally proves to be a big factor in how a team’s season plays out bar injuries and a year out of the box ala the Dogs of ‘16.

The Saints just seem to struggle against a decent defence and that’s what they’ll come up against when playing the better sides.

On us, we have a lot of work to do. Need to improve our stoppage work, we need to get better advantage from ruck domination and our skills in general play need tightening up.

Both sides should feature in bottom half of 8, but still have a lot of work to do.

Saints have been persecuted by umps and injuries for most of their history. Nothing new here. A tragic club with more bad luck than other teams added together.

At least, that's what the gentlemen in the cheer squad were saying last night.

I just reckon they are still with training wheels under Ratten. He'll get them playing better, but time.

If we have all of King, McKernan, Membrey and Battle on the ground at one time, who gets the 4th?
We could have used a witches hat for all the difference it made. As mentioned a few times, our defence is strong, and even with Lever having a shocker we were still too good there.

Gawnie clunked a few down back which was lovely to see.

No denying we were extremely poor, but I wouldn’t be getting too pumped about the performance if I was a dees fan.
Rubbish. Beating Saint Kildas is always a cause to celebrate. And at your home ground, on prime time TV on a night when you’re honouring a club legend. You even wheeled out Plugger to rev the boys up, and after conceding 5 goals in a row we wrestled back momentum and, goal kicking aside, absolutely hammered you.

That was wonderful as a Dees supporter. It really was.

Lonie, Butler and Higgins with 1 tackle between them obviously misheard the pre-game rev up of ‘play like Spud’, and instead played like spuds.

No denying we were extremely poor, but I wouldn’t be getting too pumped about the performance if I was a dees fan.

What I was pumped about was our structure, pressure and ball movement.

What almost gave me an aneurysm was our missed shots at goal (again), our missed handballs particularly in the second half and dropped marks in defense. May and Lever won't usually drop the ones they did last night but we need to start nailing those shots at goal. Cost us percentage against Freo and could've cost us the game last night. We do have Brown and potentially Weideman to come back into the team though so that should help.

Lonie, Butler and Higgins with 1 tackle between them obviously misheard the pre-game rev up of ‘play like Spud’, and instead played like spuds.

That joke didn't play last night so you've had another crack today huh? ;)

The small forwards were the ones I was worried about but fair play to Jetta, Hunt and Salem they completely nullified them. Gresham threatened to get off the leash in the last but it was too little too late.

Back