Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 16 - Blues v Saints Fri July 1st 7:50pm EST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed!

Nar I'm just having a jibe. I get it though, I've seen that same situation called both ways over the last couple of years... Sometimes you're on the right end or the wrong end of it. In the end you just need to play well enough that those 50/50 calls don't impact the outcome I guess.

But you must be able to also see that when you have more than double the amount of free kicks, having a single free kick that went against you being blamed as the turning point of the game is a bit rich, be it correct or not.
Don't want to drag it out any more, but as far as I'm concerned the actual free kick count means ZERO.
I couldn't care less if Carlton lost every single free kick count, as long as they were getting called correctly. Then it becomes a case of 'why aren't Carlton playing within the rules?'

You're always going to have 50/50 calls where it could be one thing, or it could be another, or simply calls that get missed. Can't be helped.
I'm not blaming that call for anything. I'm purely saying that it was the moment that felt like the turning point to me. No big deal.

Don't want to drag it out any more, but as far as I'm concerned the actual free kick count means ZERO.
I couldn't care less if Carlton lost every single free kick count, as long as they were getting called correctly. Then it becomes a case of 'why aren't Carlton playing within the rules?'

You're always going to have 50/50 calls where it could be one thing, or it could be another, or simply calls that get missed. Can't be helped.
I'm not blaming that call for anything. I'm purely saying that it was the moment that felt like the turning point to me. No big deal.
Surely you guys realise that if there were missed free kicks for the team who got 21 of them, that there were likely to be even more missed for the team who received a mere 9 in 4 quarters of football, yeah?

Surely you guys realise that if there were missed free kicks for the team who got 21 of them, that there were likely to be even more missed for the team who received a mere 9 in 4 quarters of football, yeah?
No they don't.

Their review of the game is that any negative stat against them was why StKilda, such as the minor shot on goal stat, won.

And any negative stat against StKilda is irrelevant......as hey it should actually have been even more negative.

That one free kick is isolated as why the Blues lost, when so many were missed to StKilda is just ridiculous.

Poor kicking on goal. That's about it.
The first 10 or so pages of the match thread on the Carlton board makes for interesting reading.

Post after post along the lines of “how are we not 5 goals down now?”, “we’re lucky they’re not kicking straight”, “how are we only 8 points down!”, etc.

Had we not blown so many golden opportunities in the first quarter- when we were dominating general play- we could have been well out in front and gained a ton of confidence and momentum from that as well.

Plus apparently 5 of Carlton’s points were rushed, to our 1.

At the end of the day though, bad kicking is bad football and if you play too much bad football, you generally lose.

Even to a team who are down to 1 on the bench during the last quarter.

The first 10 or so pages of the match thread on the Carlton board makes for interesting reading.

Post after post along the lines of “how are we not 5 goals down now?”, “we’re lucky they’re not kicking straight”, “how are we only 8 points down!”, etc.

Had we not blown so many golden opportunities in the first quarter- when we were dominating general play- we could have been well out in front and gained a ton of confidence and momentum from that as well.

Plus apparently 5 of Carlton’s points were rushed, to our 1.

At the end of the day though, bad kicking is bad football and if you play too much bad football, you generally lose.

Even to a team who are down to 1 on the bench during the last quarter.
Champion data reckons it should have been a 4ish goal win fwiw;
Carlton won the contested possession count by +27, had 28 scoring shots for the night compared to St Kilda’s 23 and took 15 marks inside 50 – their second-highest return of 2022 to date.

Yet the Blues squandered so many opportunities, booting 10.18 for the night. Based on Champion Data’s ‘expected score’ metric – which analyses every shot at goal is analysed, based on where on the ground it was taken and how much pressure the player was under, and tallies up the scores – the Blues should’ve won Friday night’s match by nearly four goals.

But yep, as you say bad kicking is bad footy. We didn't take our chances, Saints did and deserved the win, end of.

So only free kicks inside the 50 matter for the Blues... But a free kick not inside 50 was the turning point for Saints.

You could at least get on the same page Blues fans... Kinda like how you and the umps are on the same page.
Different people have different opinions, so glad you could work this out for us Benny don't know what we would have done without you :rolleyes:

No, he won't. He doesn't play like s**t because he's not a s**t player.

He's been a gun for years and continues to be a gun. He doesn't kick as many goals now we have King but his work around the ground and helping out on the wing and half-back is elite.

He is a damn fine player and posts like this are pretty disrespectful.
It's not intended to be disrespectful. It's the truth. Your side was back to playing like crap again, where was Membrey? Eight disposals for two goals, seems like they went missing to me (those aren't elite numbers for someone who's supposed to work around the ground and on the wing/half back). Looking at his 2022 season, there's only two times he's kicked more than 3 goals, one of those games of course was against us. In fact, in the last four games, he's played well below par... oh, except against us. It's his MO. And I called it, that he'd disappear the next week, back to his standard form of the past month. Turns out I was 100% correct.

Next time Voss should instruct someone to crunch into him at every opportunity, make him feel it. Maybe then he'll stop kicking flukey goals out of his arse. You were incredibly lucky we were so inaccurate in front of goal.

It's not intended to be disrespectful. It's the truth. Your side was back to playing like crap again, where was Membrey? Eight disposals for two goals, seems like they went missing to me (those aren't elite numbers for someone who's supposed to work around the ground and on the wing/half back). Looking at his 2022 season, there's only two times he's kicked more than 3 goals, one of those games of course was against us. In fact, in the last four games, he's played well below par... oh, except against us. It's his MO. And I called it, that he'd disappear the next week, back to his standard form of the past month. Turns out I was 100% correct.

Next time Voss should instruct someone to crunch into him at every opportunity, make him feel it. Maybe then he'll stop kicking flukey goals out of his arse. You were incredibly lucky we were so inaccurate in front of goal.

You muppet.

147 games 248 goals

Do you even know what % of AFL players kick 250 goals in their career?

He's not a great player but a good player by any measure. You said he was s**t, you're wrong now piss off.

And don't bother responding you're on ignore - I don't have time to deal with idiots like you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You muppet.

147 games 248 goals

Do you even know what % of AFL players kick 250 goals in their career?

He's not a great player but a good player by any measure. You said he was s**t, you're wrong now piss off.

And don't bother responding you're on ignore - I don't have time to deal with idiots like you.
I don't care how many goals he's kicked overall.

It's this year that matters.

His last month has been s**t and is certainly not reflective of his so called "elite" work around the ground. That is just an objective fact.

Back