AFL and Chinese TV form a new deal following millions tuning in to watch Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Along with weekly match broadcasts, CCTV will continue to screen Port Adelaide’s own AFL Show – a 30-minute program wrapping each round of the AFL season with highlights from across the competition, as well as covering the journey of Port Adelaide SANFL Academy player Chen Shaoliang at Alberton.

I thought the show was called "The Winners"

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/72875687e04fe9e78f7c0d286c14f2bb

Didn't know China were so progressive on false advertising.

The Chinese, probably at the team that tried to pick fights and snipe players and then proceeded to have their s**t pushed in for the next three quarters.

But more so, I'm sure they laughed at the absurd game they'd stumbled upon.

The Geelong V Port game was months ago.

At least Port beat Collingwood :$

Along with weekly match broadcasts, CCTV will continue to screen Port Adelaide’s own AFL Show – a 30-minute program wrapping each round of the AFL season with highlights from across the competition, as well as covering the journey of Port Adelaide SANFL Academy player Chen Shaoliang at Alberton.

I thought the show was called "The Winners"

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...s/news-story/72875687e04fe9e78f7c0d286c14f2bb

Didn't know China were so progressive on false advertising.
Don't eat so many lemons you'll become Grotto levels of sour

Lawl

"The statistics are based on a sample of only 10,000 households,” he says. “The figures are not credible because the system still lacks transparency and openness.”

http://mobile.shanghaidaily.com/article.aspx?i=581785

TV ratings out of China? Are we serious?

The TV stations write them so they can sell them how they want to advertisers.

Wonder if this will capture any foolish Aussie companies thinking their name is going to be sprayed across China.

Not for the first time: Kochie, get your hand off it.

Lol there are always people like this. 4 million foreign people watching our game is an amazing result for the AFL. There was barely any promotion and it still got that much. Just goes to show that China is worth investing in. Now the job is to continue to grow the audience.

Well done port. Amazing job

Haters always gunna hate

Because it was in China, as people have already said. 4 million people is like 12 people having their tv on in Australia.

Population is 60 times bigger, so its like 60,000 watching a game, which would be cancelation worthy on Australian tv. but if Port can get the yuan, then I guess its worth it.

Last edited:
I'll ask again . . . why is one club allowed to sell TV rights?

I can understand the AFL wanting to sell games into China, but why on earth would they entertain doing it on the basis of one club? That makes zero sense.

(yes I do know it's one in three games but that seems like a concession to justify the dealing being on the AFL dime).

Apparently footies are in hot demand over there now. Chinese men now believe Sherrin testicle soup will help improve their virility / sexual prowess and beard growth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you need to look at how TV ratings are done in China

What was the sample size?

What was the average viewing time per viewer? Did they watch 30 mins, or were they flicking through the directory and had a peek for 30 seconds (they have that many channels on satellite in China thats all you do)

Rorting of stats in China is the norm. People have been ignoring GDP and inflation stats for years because they bear no semblance to what people on the street see

KaChing.gif

Melbourne did in 2010...
You are right, Melbourne did indeed 'think' of it in 2010. Trouble was nobody thought anything of Melbourne.

Brisbane sure didn't. Jonno Brown has broadcast how he led most of the team out on the turps until the early hours before the game.

There are right ways to achieve impossible things, and there are wrong ways. Melbourne, and the AFL, chose the latter. This has made our job so much more difficult. Thanks a lot.

4 million people is still 4 million people. 800,000 people or 1 fifth of that amount tuned into the game in Australia. Less than 50,000 usually tune into a Friday night game in Sydney. This is a ******* huge audience no matter what negative spin you want to put on it. If these type of figure hold up, you'd think Australian companies that operate in the Chinese market would be all over it.

4 million people is still 4 million people. 800,000 people or 1 fifth of that amount tuned into the game in Australia. Less than 50,000 usually tune into a Friday night game in Sydney. This is a ******* huge audience no matter what negative spin you want to put on it. If these type of figure hold up, you'd think Australian companies that operate in the Chinese market would be all over it.

You just hit it, relocate GWS or GC, even both to China gove them their own national team, then the AFL will never ever have to put their hand in their pocket again, Lethal Leigh will endorse that, too many teams in QLD!

Or whoever puts up their hand to be a chinese national team!

Because it was in China, as people have already said. 4 million people is like 12 people having their tv on in Australia.

Population is 60 times bigger, so its like 60,000 watching a game, which would be cancelation worthy on Australian tv. but if Port can get the yuan, then I guess its worth it.
Lol taking a negative spin to a 4 million people watching our game.

Of course 10-15 million people aren't gunna tune in because the game is new over there. Duh. 4 million is well beyond expectations. Would had been happy with 1 million tbh

Just to put some context to this, 17.5 million Americans tuned into Game 2 of the NBA playoffs. Game 4 of the Stanley Cup rated 4,2 million people watching.

Yes we all know figures out of China can be rubbery, but even if they are in the same ball park as the ones being quoted, they are big numbers and the AFL would be absolutely thrilled.

Just to put some context to this, 17.5 million Americans tuned into Game 2 of the NBA playoffs. Game 4 of the Stanley Cup rated 4,2 million people watching.

Yes we all know figures out of China can be rubbery, but even if they are in the same ball park as the ones being quoted, they are big numbers and the AFL would be absolutely thrilled.

So which team will the AFL force to play there 5 or 6 times a year and be known as China's team, on recent grumblings you would think GC has the box seat, not big enough to stand on its on two feet and is the AFL's play toy

Good figures, but I would be interested to know if a few million people are always tuned in to CCTV5+ regardless of what's on.

So which team will the AFL force to play there 5 or 6 times a year and be known as China's team, on recent grumblings you would think GC has the box seat, not big enough to stand on its on two feet and is the AFL's play toy

Could send the Bays there Marty. Might be able to sell Blonde tips to the Chinese market.

I'll ask again . . . why is one club allowed to sell TV rights?

I can understand the AFL wanting to sell games into China, but why on earth would they entertain doing it on the basis of one club? That makes zero sense.

(yes I do know it's one in three games but that seems like a concession to justify the dealing being on the AFL dime).
You're an idiot if you think Port are "selling" TV rights in China and pocketing the cash.

They have to watch a replay of the 2007 grand final!!

I watched this GF while I was living in China - unlimited Coopers Pale Ale included in the door tab, around lunchtime (1pm-ish) and a bar full of totally drunken Aussies cheering raucously with every Geelong goal; and outside, a replenishing flock of passing locals looking on through the concertina doors that opened on to the street, as though we were chimpanzees tossing crap at each other, wondering what the heck it was all about.

Four million they reckon? The times they are a changing ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back