Review AFL Round 21 Autopsy - Adelaide defeated by Geelong by 11 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Autopsy thread - Round 21 - Adelaide defeated by Geelong by 11 points

How is it alarming?

We have shown that when we're down on intensity we get smashed in stoppages... it's happened all year. Doesn't matter which ruck wins the tap either, the hungrier player will seek and find the ball... in this case it was Adelaide a large portion of the game.

Let look at this with a bit of logic. The team was coming off 2 games where they worked hard(even if it was against rubbish opposition), they had to travel for the last time this year and play an Adelaide side who played the game of their season(teams traditionally love to do this V Geelong). I put this down to the 'they're only human' factor. So yeah, they had a terrible game but still won against good opposition on the day at home...

Nothing about the game statistically should be of a concern, even though we all know the coaches will make a deal of it. Geelong won't go into finals playing last night's low intensity, unaccountable style... it just doesn't happen.

1st half QF v St Kilda 2010.

It's happened for 5 years. We've always been a s**t clearance side despite having a good midfield.
Clearances per game:
2007: 35 (2nd)
2008: 35 (1st)
2009: 35 (5th)
2010: 36 (5th)
2011: 35 (14th)

How is it alarming?

We have shown that when we're down on intensity we get smashed in stoppages... it's happened all year. Doesn't matter which ruck wins the tap either, the hungrier player will seek and find the ball... in this case it was Adelaide a large portion of the game.

Let look at this with a bit of logic. The team was coming off 2 games where they worked hard(even if it was against rubbish opposition), they had to travel for the last time this year and play an Adelaide side who played the game of their season(teams traditionally love to do this V Geelong). I put this down to the 'they're only human' factor. So yeah, they had a terrible game but still won against good opposition on the day at home...

Nothing about the game statistically should be of a concern, even though we all know the coaches will make a deal of it. Geelong won't go into finals playing last night's low intensity, unaccountable style... it just doesn't happen.

Dont always agree with what you write but this post is A1 spot on. We are down in clearances this year and I expect ( hope ) that this is a focus as we prepare for the finals.

As you say though, we will be a lot more intense when it really matters.

Clearances per game:

Slipping across the 5 years then. Ablett left a bigger hole this year. We've won games big while losing the clearances before.

wow some people have their heads in the sand

I've never been more embarrassed for a home crowd than I was for those 30,000 jerks yesterday! The way you all carried on about EVERY decision or non-decision was truly pathetic. Honestly, it was painful to listen to. I didn't think any crowd could be worse than Fremantle, but yesterday, you managed to set new standards.

Baha - you obviously don't get down to Skilled often. :)

Whoever named Footy Park 'Moron Park' had it absolutely bang on. What a bunch of immature deadshits. Gotta love the crows fans coming in here and calling us pathetic for calling them on their nonsense. Well, at least it was loud...BOOOOOOOOO! For two hours straight :rolleyes:

Onto the game itself, well our backline, in particular Tom and Harry, were fantastic for the most part. Boris wasn't as solid as usual but did some good things. Chappy is a worry - what's the go with him? Getting tired? Just hasn't really had much of an impact lately. Someone said he's being played in the midfield too much, and there might be something in that. Just hasn't been getting his hands on it that much, and when he has, he hasn't been the sharp Chappy we all know. Joel quiet as a mouse too. Don't think we'll see that twice in a row, though.

Pods' goalkicking was frustrating but at least he provided a viable target and clunked a few grabs. Should have ended up with five, really.

I thought we did well to win in the end, just always had the composure and skill to edge away when challenged.

How is it alarming?

Yeah what would they know,don't know why they have people keeping an eye on it .

To the supporters crying about a passionate crowd: U JELLY?

Nah don't think so. I don't think I'd be envious of being labelled a moron.

The incessent booing of every umpire call; especially the trip on Johnson. How can you boo a blatent and reportable offence? The behaviour of the crowd was laughable.

Clearances per game:

I suspect the big drop this year can be attributed to the large number of players we rotate through the midfield.

I suspect the big drop this year can be attributed to the large number of players we rotate through the midfield.
No doubt it's contributed somewhat. The numbers were there though to refute the claim "We've always been a s**t clearance side despite having a good midfield".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearances per game:

Obvious to see, we actually haven't dropped our average clearences over the five years. The rest of the comp has just drastically caught up - that's a major jump from 5th to 14th in one year with basically the same tally. Also shows to an extent the tap work of Blake being missed this year.

Obvious to see, we actually haven't dropped our average clearences over the five years. The rest of the comp has just drastically caught up - that's a major jump from 5th to 14th in one year with basically the same tally. Also shows to an extent the tap work of Blake being missed this year.
I assume the average number of stoppages per game has been increasing over that time.

The incessent booing of every umpire call; especially the trip on Johnson. How can you boo a blatent and reportable offence? The behaviour of the crowd was laughable.

most fans weren't booing at the trip it was the fact the umpire gave Steve Johnson a other shot at goal when it was clearly evident he play on, so the behind should of have counted

more reason for the play on rule to be scrapped and back to the umpire deciding whether it is play on or not.

Clearances per game:

These stats are meaningless in that the scoring from stoppages differential is far more important, and we've always been good with that stat. Not so important now since '08 (the cluster) and '09/10 (the press) with the emphasis now being on generating scores through turnovers.

Wow.

Have gone through the stats this morning.

Hit outs:
Adelaide 31
Geelong 42

Clearances:
Adelaide 39
Geelong 20

That is alarming.

Yep, that's what concerned me most about the game.

It seemed to me that Adelaide had the intensity for the ball that we had against Melbourne a couple of weeks ago... just crazy ferocity at the ball. On the other hand, the Cats players looked largely disinterested, and far less willing to put their bodies on the line (perhaps already thinking about finals - but considering there is a bye this week, why?). I think this is a big part as to why we got hammered in the clearances... no intensity at the ball, where Adelaide had plenty.

I'd be confident that we'd regain the intensity for the pill come finals time.

So why you mad though?

Just watched Sundays game for the first time. The Adelaide crowd were hideous, booing at everything that didn't involve their players getting the ball. Booing at great marks and good goals from Geelong is just stupid.
Probably why I decided many years ago ( after that incident with one of the cheer squad)never to go to watch Geelong play in Adelaide, happy to go interstate and have, but Adelaide definitely off my list.
Their stupidity made beating them on Sunday even sweeter.

I reckon good on the Adelaide crowd. It's in their interest to make it as hostile a reception for oppositition teams as they possibly can, no matter how dumb it sounds to us.

I roll my eyes at the Hawthorn nuffies screaming BALL! whenever a Hawthorn hand slightly brushes a Geelong player (I know this happens in other matches too, but I notice it more at games against them lot) but again, so what? Crowds are crowds. They pay their money whether in memberships or at the gate, let them go apeshit in support of their team.

You don't say (to you and all the other weirdo supporters with rose-coloured glasses in this thread).

You don't say (to you and all the other weirdo supporters with rose-coloured glasses in this thread).

Well don't know who invited you , but please enjoy your long summer break.....and good luck finding a coach on the way though.

Hope you find a few extra players as well....you need them.

Well don't know who invited you , but please enjoy your long summer break.....and good luck finding a coach on the way though.

Hope you find a few extra players as well....you need them.

We'll give you Maric for Hawkins and two draft picks.*

*Actually a fair trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back