Review AFL Round 5 autopsy - Geelong defeats Western Bulldogs by 21 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks, I was afraid you were going to tell us that.
But hopefully the mere processing will deter others from attacking and niggling Sellwood off the ball in the hope he'll get himself rubbed out.

I'm with AM personally: happy enough with a reprimand. If he does the same thing in the next 12 months, his residual points and no discount for a good record would ensure he'd miss a week, as Johnson did.

That's the thing that is annoying. Selwood cops heaps of unnecessary attention every week but doesn't get any protection. So what's to stop the pests giving cheap shots if they aren't going to be punished, either through the MRP or with a free kick.

Ugly win and less said about it the better. I just hope the lack of percentage boost won't come back to bite us later in the year.

That's the thing that is annoying. Selwood cops heaps of unnecessary attention every week but doesn't get any protection. So what's to stop the pests giving cheap shots if they aren't going to be punished, either through the MRP or with a free kick.

Because it's not just Selwood that the Lower-types play against. He'll do the same thing whether he's matched up against Watson, Selwood, Cotchin, Pendlebury, Swallow, Jack, Mitchell...basically he's going to play the same way. If he's doing it every week, it's going to catch up with him.

My issue would probably be looking at the protection our guys started giving to Ablett around 2008-09. Every stoppage, Chapman, Corey, Kelly, Bartel, Ling...they'd give Ablett's tormentor a solid bump to go on with. If it cost a free kick, so be it. In most cases, I think the umpire understands and respects why the players are protecting their star. It just doesn't seem to happen as much with Selwood. Hopefully, with a few more veterans coming back in, it will allow Johnson, Corey, Bartel, Chapman and others to look after their skipper a bit better.

Gotta love the WB forum blaming Selwood and calling him a sook.

Clearly caught on camera and with the amount of cheap shots the dogs dished out to multiple cats players they can't proclaim they aren't a dirty unskilled team.

If we gave the sane treatment to those spuds the WB board would be in meltdown.

One eyes clowns the lot of them.

/rant

Clearly caught on camera and with the amount of cheap shots the dogs dished out to multiple cats players they can't proclaim they aren't a dirty unskilled team.

/rant
Um! We also have that capacity.:)

Um! We also have that capacity.:)
Yes but at least we can admit when our players dish out cheap dog acts to multiple players.

Which I can't honestly remember the last time the team as a whole has resorted to that gutter tactics.

Because it's not just Selwood that the Lower-types play against. He'll do the same thing whether he's matched up against Watson, Selwood, Cotchin, Pendlebury, Swallow, Jack, Mitchell...basically he's going to play the same way. If he's doing it every week, it's going to catch up with him.

I'm glad you have that much faith in the MRP and umpiring. I don't.

/rant

It wasn't a dirty game. Only two incidents worth looking at. Goodes on Caddy and Boyd on Selwood. Both out of character for the perpetrators. If the team situations were reversed I'd be disappointed if we didn't show some aggression to slow down our opponent.

Part of the problem tonight was poor delivery into the forward half. Pods is almost useless below the knees and we went in low too often.
Its a real problem that Pods is really poor on the ground. When he comes up the ground to provide a get out on the wing, if he doesn't mark it, its sure to be whisked away into the oppositions fwd line.

It wasn't a dirty game. Only two incidents worth looking at. Goodes on Caddy and Boyd on Selwood. Both out of character for the perpetrators. If the team situations were reversed I'd be disappointed if we didn't show some aggression to slow down our opponent.
You didn't see the dog player punching Pods in the face I gather?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would had been if the cats resorted to that sort of physical crap, it was all pretty one sided in that respect .

I like the Digs and they are heading in the right direction, but resorting to that sort of rubbish was very unnecessary and if the cats had served it back the media would kill us over it.

Don't know how people can gloss over it when you saw the attention Joel and other recieved.

Some worrying trends coming from all games. Not finishing well. Outscored in the last vs Footscray, Sydney and Carlton and none of them could run in the last 10 min. vs north. Perhaps this sprinting through the centre by Motlop and co. takes all the juice out of them. I hope not.

Clearances were again poor, though I think one mitigating factor is that Scott appears to be keen give lots of the young guys experience in the centre and I guess you have to learn by experience even if it means getting beaten in the stoppages. Ruck is a real problem. I had us losing as many games as we won until we got 2 proper ruckman in the side. So we aren't doing too bad. But seriously, we have no chance of a premiership unless McIntosh becomes our new Mr. September.

Oppositions averaging 100+ points prior to this week. Not sure our full-field zone is doing us many favours. Got lots of turnovers in 2011, but hasn't worked that well last 2 years. Can leave our backline very exposed. The game moves on and so must our game plan. Also inexperienced players learning the system can make us vulnerable and a lack of intensity call also be its downfall.

Other observations - My first time seeing GHS in the flesh. Wow he is slow. Also seemed a bit lost in the defensive structure. Will learn a lot if we get time into him. I think Murdoch is the same .... really needs game time to learn the caper. Its tough if we're trying to win games, but if we can get games into him later in the season we will reap the benefits in future years. Guthrie looks to have improved. Stringer got a couple of goals on him and he may need to not get led to the ball so much, but I've seen JHunt or Wojo do worse at times. He still lacks a bit of confidence with ball in hand. I guess only game time will allow him to gain more confidence.

WTF? Do tell!
It was a mark or tackle and the dog player started to try to hit the ball out if Pid's hands and ended up punching his face and kept going at it.

Didnt look like pods was affected but unconsidered it reckless and dangerous.

Wish I had a clip of it they were both standing up so it was* an accident in my eyes as pods was standing upright with ball below his chest.

Edit - wasn't

My issue would probably be looking at the protection our guys started giving to Ablett around 2008-09. Every stoppage, Chapman, Corey, Kelly, Bartel, Ling...they'd give Ablett's tormentor a solid bump to go on with. If it cost a free kick, so be it. In most cases, I think the umpire understands and respects why the players are protecting their star. It just doesn't seem to happen as much with Selwood. Hopefully, with a few more veterans coming back in, it will allow Johnson, Corey, Bartel, Chapman and others to look after their skipper a bit better.

You are absolutely on the money with this.
However it is not just the respnsibility of the veterans but the whole team.
Having said that the veterans may be better at giving just the right amount of grief without ending up reported

Not much in it. Shit happens in a game of footy. It was not a dirty game.
You're right it wasn't a dirty game. The replay of the Goodes/Caddy incident shows there is a case to answer but at the ground it didn't look so bad. Even our coach said something along those lines at his presser.

It was a mark or tackle and the dog player started to try to hit the ball out if Pod's hands and ended up punching his face and kept going at it.

Didnt look like pods was affected but unconsidered it reckless and dangerous.

Who ever that Dogs player was that kept punching in Pods face, he should get 8 weeks!

3bd401ba93bd2f2c65310b3d7546ef7a_resized.jpg

Other observations - My first time seeing GHS in the flesh. Wow he is slow. Also seemed a bit lost in the defensive structure. Will learn a lot if we get time into him. I think Murdoch is the same .... really needs game time to learn the caper. Its tough if we're trying to win games, but if we can get games into him later in the season we will reap the benefits in future years. Guthrie looks to have improved. Stringer got a couple of goals on him and he may need to not get led to the ball so much, but I've seen JHunt or Wojo do worse at times. He still lacks a bit of confidence with ball in hand. I guess only game time will allow him to gain more confidence.

I would like to disagree on GHS.

I have been fortunate to see GHS in the last two games live. He is not explosive like the outside mids/small forwards but he is as quick as most inside mids. Thats what he is there for - not to burn off opposition but to get to the contest, win ball and dish off by hand or foot. Then get to the next contest. He is an efficient runner and gets a lot of his ball in the corridor in congestion and better still he does not release to first option unless he is already in a tackle. He sums up his options and chooses the best option (usually).
With over 20 disposals in each game at good efficiency this has been a seamless transition from VFL to AFL.
Better than I had hoped for.

I would agree on Guthrie.

Although I already consider him AFL standard. He played well v doggies- and does all the important defensive things well especially then 1%ers. A long term player with us.

I was at the game. It's a hard one to judge after 4 intense battles,Hawkins out, and then with the sub on early and playing one short ...

a lot of the delivery was poor. Monstered in the ruck. But they did enough. With the next few games ahead of us I wouldn't be too worried if the pedal wasn't flat to the floor on Saturday.

Some worrying trends coming from all games. Not finishing well. Outscored in the last vs Footscray, Sydney and Carlton and none of them could run in the last 10 min. vs north. Perhaps this sprinting through the centre by Motlop and co. takes all the juice out of them. I hope not.

Clearances were again poor, though I think one mitigating factor is that Scott appears to be keen give lots of the young guys experience in the centre and I guess you have to learn by experience even if it means getting beaten in the stoppages. Ruck is a real problem. I had us losing as many games as we won until we got 2 proper ruckman in the side. So we aren't doing too bad. But seriously, we have no chance of a premiership unless McIntosh becomes our new Mr. September.

Oppositions averaging 100+ points prior to this week. Not sure our full-field zone is doing us many favours. Got lots of turnovers in 2011, but hasn't worked that well last 2 years. Can leave our backline very exposed. The game moves on and so must our game plan. Also inexperienced players learning the system can make us vulnerable and a lack of intensity call also be its downfall.

Fully agree that next to Varcoe and Motlop, Hypen is slow. Otherwise, not really. He is not Murdoch fast but what is quicker is his hands and decision making.

And while he is under a pack getting out a quick tap to advantage or a ball to an outside runner, I could not give a toss that he comes 17th in a 100m sprint of 25 people.

GO Catters

Fully agree that next to Varcoe and Motlop, Hypen is slow. Otherwise, not really. He is not Murdoch fast but what is quicker is his hands and decision making.

And while he is under a pack getting out a quick tap to advantage or a ball to an outside runner, I could not give a toss that he comes 17th in a 100m sprint of 25 people.

GO Catters

if he has as slow as Greg Williams let's get rid of him ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back