AFLW 2017 - Carlton v Collingwood, 7.45 AEDT - Live on 7, Foxfooty, AFL.com.au, AFL app etc

Remove this Banner Ad

If her name was Vescio or Davey she was on the money!

Sorry I think I missed a word. This girl was adamant that the skills would be as good as the men's. I noticed her running around fumbling kicking max 20 m and not a drop punt in sight. I'm hoping her attitude is now a little more realistic

Sorry I think I missed a word. This girl was adamant that the skills would be as good as the men's. I noticed her running around fumbling kicking max 20 m and not a drop punt in sight. I'm hoping her attitude is now a little more realistic

Personally, I like a bit of self belief and swagger (even if unrealistic). I got nothing wrong with a player saying 'were gonna be as good, if not better than the men'.

In fact, that's kind of expected. Its definitely what I'd be coaching them to believe.

I didn't get a chance to watch it live, but I just watched the replay on Foxtel, and it was pretty good for a first-up hitout.

Like a few others have mentioned here, the skills were pretty poor, but that's in comparison to what we're used to seeing with the men's game, and I'm sure given time the girls will improve dramatically.

It's worth mentioning that not only is everyone a debutant here, but some of these players come from completely different sports, and were picked for more their athleticism and general sports ability, over their actual skill at Aussie Rules footy.

I expected plenty of mistakes, and there were plenty of mistakes, however we haven't seen the other 6 teams play yet either. For all we know, we could've been watching the Bottom 2 teams here, because we have no real reference point other than the Dogs Vs. Demons "all star" games, which were very good quality btw.

The one big thing that needs to improve is the distance of their kicking, some of the girls are barely able to kick it 30m, and it means the stats like Inside 50's really have no meaning, as even when some of the girls had the ball only 30 or 35m out, they were still a kick away from a genuine scoring opportunity.

I also didn't see much in regards to tactics or anything like that. It was very much a "kick to kick" kind of vibe, and there were few very chains of play throughout the match that looked coherent or planned.

I think one thing that they should consider for future seasons, is potentially making the ground dimensions smaller, and moving things in a bit. I'm not sure of the practicality of that, however it was clear to me that the ability to kick more than 35m or 40m will be very very hard for all but the absolute elite women, and so I would suggest making it a 30m arc instead of 50m arc, and perhaps bringing the goal posts in by that 20m on each side, so that there's more opportunity for scoring.

Essentially a 40m kick in the AFL is relatively standard fare and the majority of players can kick it that far, and I think the standard kick in this match was probably about half that, somewhere between 15-20m, so I think playing on an oval with the same size as the men is a bit difficult at this point, in regards to scoring and flow of play.

With all that said, the AFLW has heaps of potential, and I'll be watching every round with interest! Hopefully as it progresses over the weeks, the cream really rises to the top.
Its probably unfair to compare to AFL - probably fairer to compare to suburban level where youll see errors, slipping over etc

TLR? Her skills seemed a step below the rest

It was always going to happen though. Id hazard a guess that any one of those girls would run rings around any of those clowns on a footy field.
As I said earlier I'd wager most are dorks that never even had a crack at playing the game themselves.

If its maintained sure, if this is a one off....less so. What effect the JLT series has on this too will be interesting.

At least 2 melbourne JLT games are double headers with the women's matches (Dogs & Blues) so that should help the crowds you would think - although those games aren't free, not sure how much entry is

It's a very cool thing for them and I hope they have success, however, this idea that anyone who doesn't enjoy it, is a 'dinosaur' or 'sexist' is silly. Mark my words, you will hear about it all the time in the media now. Everything will be a gender issue - Low crowds, any criticism, jokes made, etc. and all men will get lumped into the same category. They have spoken like that since the league was announced, it's just draining.

Don't listen to SEN then, easy fix

Actually, yeah...fair enough...some of those grounds won't be floodlit, either...?
Yup, I. Believe this match had an earlier start time when it was at Olympic Park - someone may correct me. Anyway, if it were held today at 35c I think 15mins would've been stretching it.

At least 2 melbourne JLT games are double headers with the women's matches (Dogs & Blues) so that should help the crowds you would think - although those games aren't free, not sure how much entry is
$20 if the North V Hawthorn game at Arden St is a guide. Don't mind the odd double header, especially if it converts a few sceptics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ratings Breakdown
- Women's AFL: Friday Night Football (Channel 7) was the 9th most-watched FTA program of the day in the five main cities, despite only showing in two. 502000 people watched in Melbourne (424000) and Adelaide (78000).
- In addition, 91000 watched on 7mate in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.
- 123000 watched the game on Fox Footy.
- 180000 people watched in regional areas.
- Women's AFL: Friday Night Football (Channel 7) was the most-watched FTA program of the day in Melbourne.
- Women's AFL: Friday Night Football (Channel 7) was the most-watched FTA program of the day in the 18-49 demographics.
- Women's AFL: Friday Night Football (Channel 7) was the most-watched FTA program of the day in the 16-39 demographics.

Why are you so desperate to see Women's footy fail

I'm not desperate to see it fail I know it will because the whole thing is a wasted exercise. The standard of football will not improve much if at all. And I have seen better skills at Auskick. Once the wider audience sees this for themselves crowds will die off and tv audiences will change the channel. Ch 7 won't want it once it rates poorly.

Option A: Mummy Issues
Option B: Left at the Altar
Option C: Just some bigot who is a Trump supporter

While I like Trump for his brashness and am behind his recent controversial decision (other countries should mind their own business) I do watch ladies tennis, wnba and womens hockey goes alright too.

Last edited:
But you have to understand that that's literally what you sound like. I don't get how it's not incredibly embarrassing for you. You're a reasonably well off straight white male yeah? If so, you have no business telling people how they should feel about social issues, and you're a dickhead if you try. Pretty simple stuff.

You look like the bigger dickhead tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back