Game Day AFLW R7 2019: Melbourne v Adelaide, Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve put on my thinking cap of how we’ve fared over the 3 seasons:
- first season we were great because of Erin.
- second season we were s**t because of no Erin.
- third season everyone’s playing like Erin!
There is only one Erin
No one plays like Erin
Have you really followed our team

Last weeks whipping girls (Varnhagen and McCormick) have been very good today
McCormack especially. Was very critical of her invisibility since coming back into the side and playing defense, but her first quarter was excellent. Didn't notice her too much until later in the game, but she has redeemed herself.

McCormack especially. Was very critical of her invisibility since coming back into the side and playing defense, but her first quarter was excellent. Didn't notice her too much until later in the game, but she has redeemed herself.

When you often haven't noticed her in defence, have you noticed her player? She does very well at keeping her player out of the play as much as possible and that is often the job of a defender.

Just watching the Freo v Kangas game and while there are some big kicks in both teams, they don't have the same systems like we do or the skill level for the pinpoint passing.

There were some kicks today from Hatchard on the wing and also Scheer that were passes of absolute beauty.

When you often haven't noticed her in defence, have you noticed her player? She does very well at keeping her player out of the play as much as possible and that is often the job of a defender.
Honestly, just didn't notice her, so wasn't sure who her opponents were. Definitely noticed more attack from her today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, just didn't notice her, so wasn't sure who her opponents were. Definitely noticed more attack from her today.

At that game you could see how she kept her opponent away from contest quite well and provided options that weren't needed. She was released a bit higher up for this game and even I think was put back on the half-forward line in the last quarter when we had to do some shuffling with Hatchard being benched. The camera work is often as poor in the AFL as we are getting in the AFLW with them wanting to be close in to the play which misses a lot of structure and the outside work that is key to our team.

How is that Freo v North game going cos really that's who we will play in the grandfinal

Both tiring each other out a little bit but as I thought the travel plus the large oval is a problem for North, so Freo leading easily 26 to 7. Freo are dominating possession but don't have the passing skills like we do so are not dominating as much on the scoreboard as they could be.

Just watching the Freo v Kangas game and while there are some big kicks in both teams, they don't have the same systems like we do or the skill level for the pinpoint passing.

There were some kicks today from Hatchard on the wing and also Scheer that were passes of absolute beauty.

That Sheer pass was a beauty. I thought she was gassed. But clearly not. Don’t recall the Hatchard one to be honest.

That Sheer pass was a beauty. I thought she was gassed. But clearly not. Don’t recall the Hatchard one to be honest.

The Hatchard passes were in the first quarter from memory - two of them 40 m passes to the advantage of our forward just up from the 50. Quick and accurate.

Imagine what Scheer is going to be like once she is fit!

The Hatchard passes were in the first quarter from memory - two of them 40 m passes to the advantage of our forward just up from the 50. Quick and accurate.

Imagine what Scheer is going to be like once she is fit!

Scheer has a lot of power through the hips and lower body, maybe even more than Erin

So this conference system will work in our favour.... given that 4 of the teams in our Conf (A) are clearly better than the best team in Conf B, in theory we should cruise to the GF if we keep playing like we are.

We will play Geelong, who are on 65%, 12 points, and we are on 212%, 24 points.

Last edited:
So finally back from Casey. Not sure exactly how many hours away from Melbourne it is, but I’m pretty sure it’s a different time zone.

Some impressions:

- our pressure was relentless. I’d love to know what percentage of their disposals went backwards.
- I can’t think of another side where you’ve got 5-6 players legitimately capable of multiple goals. Stevie-Lee, Erin, Jones, Scheer, Pinter and now Consadine.
- Jess Foley is a wonderful recruit.
- Eloise Jones will be one of the elite players in the competition in 2-3 years.
- kudos to our tackling coach. Very noticeable that we are conscious of rolling the player in the tackle.
- I’d love to know Varnhagen’s distance covered. She’s relentless. And her finish in the first term was top notch.
- Credit to the young lady sitting next to me who called Cramey’s goal off the boot. Not joking.
- we picked the perfect day to follow the forwards from end to end!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scheer has a lot of power through the hips and lower body, maybe even more than Erin

I was at a training earlier in the year and some of the injured players were mucking around at the end trying to throw a footy into one of the footy bins. There was a lot of misses and at one stage there was a tricky attempt and one of the players walking past said 'Chloe would have got that'. Her teammates know she has some amazing skills.

Freo will win. North need to double their goals in their game to hopefully win, which won't happen, which will lead to a Crows Dockers GF in Adelaide.

Great game by the girls today.
My question is how will the AFL try to stifle our dominance considering we will continue onwards and upwards next year. They could have us play the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. teams in the comp and it will have minimal effect. Get ready for 3 premierships in 4 years people.

PS: Hope I haven't put the kybosh on the girls, but I know I haven't.

Wish I was in SA right now. Exciting times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back