AFLW AFLW Season 5, Mega thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton player has a handful of a Geelong player's guernsey who didn't have possession, yet Carlton get the free. How the hell does that work?
I'm also curious how far Harrington ran through the middle

That was better. Should've been holding the ball against Barber, but we were owed one after that ridiculous decision in the middle 5 minutes ago.
Barber isn't the one we wanted running onto that low bouncing ball - needed a smaller forward for that

Starting to think no to SVDH in the middle - her lack of urgency became more noticeable the longer that quarter went on

She seemed to be jogging a lot during that quarter, no real urgency to get to the next contest or even really apply serious defensive pressure, which seems strange for someone who was playing as a defender for most of the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any danger of us putting someone on Prespakis?
Maybe the go for Garring, but not sure it's ever something we've really tried

Maybe the go for Garring, but not sure it's ever something we've really tried

It's about time we did. We've had at least one midfielder tear us to shreds most weeks. Ellie Blackburn did when we played the Dogs, there was someone who did similar when we played the Saints but her name escapes me, Monique Conti slaughtered us last week and it's Prespakis' turn this week. 17 possessions to half time, and at least half of them would be when she was clear on the wing with no opponent in sight.

Frustrating watching this team sometimes - we really should have put on a couple of goals that quarter, twice we had players with time in the F50 blaze away to the top of the square (which was flooded) while we had girls standing free in spacee; pretty sure Garing and Crockett-Grills were the culprits. Lower the eyes!

Barber, Caris, these tall young players are extremely raw, can't fault their application but they are easily nudged off their path.

Cranston very sloppy defensively.

Frustrating watching this team sometimes - we really should have put on a couple of goals that quarter, twice we had players with time in the F50 blaze away to the top of the square (which was flooded) while we had girls standing free in spacee; pretty sure Garing and Crockett-Grills were the culprits. Lower the eyes!

Barber, Caris, these tall young players are extremely raw, can't fault their application but they are easily nudged off their path.

Cranston very sloppy defensively.

There was one occasion there where we had the ball 70m out. We had 3-4 players about 15m away streaming towards goal, yet we kicked it long to Phoebe McWilliams one out against 3-4 opponents.

I like that we're trying to move the ball on quicker this week, but sometimes we just need to lower our eyes.

Can't help but think that this quicker game style & ball movement would have helped a player like Williams who does seem one of our quicker players

Imagine having Williams & Barber up forward with that open forward line and space out behind, because those are the situations where I think Williams would become really dangerous. And maybe just a bit bitter equipped to run onto the bouncing ball than Barber, just being the shorter of the 2

There was one occasion there where we had the ball 70m out. We had 3-4 players about 15m away streaming towards goal, yet we kicked it long to Phoebe McWilliams one out against 3-4 opponents.

I like that we're trying to move the ball on quicker this week, but sometimes we just need to lower our eyes.
The other frustration in those situations is when the ball is in the wrong players hands - those are the times we want someone like Webster who's a pretty good kick

In the first quarter we were moving it quickly at some stage and Garing had the "quick" kick to an open teammate at the top of the 50 but her kicking isn't the best and it was a slow lob which allowed the Carlton defender to get involved in the contest

And further to the above about Williams - how much better would it be to see a small forward actually getting the ball in our forward line rather than on the wing and not really having many options

I know she kicked the first goal against Collingwood, but that was a toe poke over the line

So good to see her actually go back and slot one from a mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back