AFLW AFLW Season 5, Mega thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit Sandra Sully here

but great to see my girl front and centre

GO Catters

Brilliant, nice to see an Indigenous woman in the women's squad, hope she kicks ass next year. Spoke well for a kid; love that kicking style.
Agree with all the above

Especially the kicking style - looks very natural & fluid action, something we'll hopefully start seeing more across the league, as we see those who've grown up playing football get drafted & their opportunities.

Kicking style seems to be something of a telling feature between those who have grown up kicking footballs versus late comers to the game, where with some players you can almost see them thinking through the kicking process & the steps they have take

Agree with all the above

Especially the kicking style - looks very natural & fluid action, something we'll hopefully start seeing more across the league, as we see those who've grown up playing football get drafted & their opportunities.

Kicking style seems to be something of a telling feature between those who have grown up kicking footballs versus late comers to the game, where with some players you can almost see them thinking through the kicking process & the steps they have take

Glad you zeroed in on that, because I wanted to talk about the kicking action a bit more too!

I may be completely off-base but honestly there is something really distinctly Indigenous about her high ball drop and the general mechanics of her kick - I don't mean to rave on needlessly but as soon as I saw her kicking style it evoked a certain heritage from Goodes to McLeod to Matera.

Anyway, not sure what to expect from Stephanie Williams next year; as you said a quick glance tells you that she has footy in her blood - you look at the inelegant, brutally functional kicking style of Amy McDonald - she is a good player with a ton of grit but you can tell she is late to the game.

Williams has the kick and the touch, but whether she is conditioned enough to withstand the hits etc is another thing.
If she's physically ok to compete at the level then she should get opportunities as we were the very definition of mediocre last season and investing in young talent is our only recourse at this point imo.

My Girl looking fit and strong - Nina looking great too.

They all look engaged and ready.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Rocky Cranston has spent isolation in the gym.
Nah, just her backyard - I remembered this from the start of the lockdown back in March

Just do 100 burpees a day and see how fit ya get

Poor Erin...

It's great news for Geelong, Jess obviously has experience at AFLW level but also top level basketball - US College, WNBL, played for Aus and was drafted to the WNBA but didn't play due to injury

Fantastic addition to our coaching ranks & obviously as an assistant team doctor

While I'm glad we're finally getting rid of the stupid conference system, I wonder how long it'll be before the inevitable "the only reason Team A got into the finals ahead of Team B was because Team A had the easiest draw" argument surfaces, especially since we're still having a 9 game season with a 14 team league.

All we need to do now is extend the season by 4 games, and we'll be right. It is a huge step in the right direction though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back