Are South African racial quotas hurting the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

ahhhhhhhhahahaha

A+negro+racist_laughing.gif

about time they take back whats theirs

yes, as for the quota system, there's something worth pointing out

The problem is not about long-term talent. As I've said elsewhere, Barbados could field a good Test team with a population of 400,000. Iceland has made the FWC with a smaller population than that. Growing the cricket-playing population is not an issue.

The issue is with the intersection of politics and sport. Once a quota is enforced for political reasons, which it is, the prospects of the team will invariably reflect the political situation of the country. We saw this in full with Zimbabwe, where the flight of cricketers leaving post-2003 WC caused a rupture that the team has never fully recovered from. It leaves a hole in the country's development system that can't be solved, and it is a gross injustice against players that deserve better. For those who believe that the government is right, this will be seen as a necessary sacrifice. But for those that mistrust the government, it is anything but.

Of course. It potentially affects much of my family back in South Africa, who fled Zimbabwe for similar reasons l. But I don't believe it will affect the cricket team in the same way. The issue of quotas is vastly different to what Malema is attempting to do. I don't think it will affect people the way the Western media are reporting. Time will tell obviously, but I see quotas being more relevant to improving opportunities among the native population, while the land hardback is an entirely different kettle of fish, which should be discussed in the other thread. The two are not related in my opinion.

Can't undo what happened there in twenty years and it's unlikely proper equality will happen in our lifetime.

Well they are certainly trying to undo the bit about being the riches sub saharan country in Africa.

hardly just cricket, South AFrican rugby isnt in great shape either.

The 'native population' will have plenty of opportunities when all of the white players leave.
Completely false. I don't think you have a very good grasp of South African history, politics, or demographics. Quota's at provincial and school level are vital to fostering talent toany who would not have an opportunity otherwise. 80% of South Africans are black, and are incredibly under represented in all sports. And remember, the quota for the Proteas is a guide which is averaged throughout the season, rather than a test by test requirement.

While I'd rather not have it at national level, it's not the difference between winning and losing, given the talent of the up and coming black players, as well as consistent form of those cape coloured and of Asian background.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

80% of South Africans are black, and are incredibly under represented in all sports.

Furthermore, 91% of South Africans have some sort of non-white heritage, so if anything, the quotas as they are still may (depending on age and gender demographics) see non-whites under-represented compared to the overall populace.

Furthermore, 91% of South Africans have some sort of non-white heritage, so if anything, the quotas as they are still may (depending on age and gender demographics) see non-whites under-represented compared to the overall populace.

I think that's the point a lot of people are missing. The quotas aren't about providing equal representation according to population, instead, forging a pathway for a dramatically under represented majority to play a more even role in the country's cricketing and sporting teams :thumbsu:

I think that's the point a lot of people are missing. The quotas aren't about providing equal representation according to population, instead, forging a pathway for a dramatically under represented majority to play a more even role in the country's cricketing and sporting teams :thumbsu:

Yeah, I think some people have the idea (due to historic under-representation in sporting teams, as well as the Apartheid dominance) that South Africa's black / non-white population is like Australia, where our indigenous folk are (due to various issues) a genuine minority, when it's actually the exact opposite.

Literally 9 out of 10 people in South Africa is non-white, so theretically, it would make logical sense for 5-6 members of an 11-man team to be non-white. If due to cultural historical participation this quota needs to be nurtured and accelerated, so be it. I'm sure at this point that nation-building and an accurate representation of the nation's population is more important for South Africa's future than wins and losses.

In theory, quotas should actually be helpful long-term for South African sport, not just socially and for the nation's identity, but for talent levels and results too. There'll be a much larger population and pool of potential talent to draw on, which should result in more talented athletes coming through.

Yeah, I think some people have the idea (due to historic under-representation in sporting teams, as well as the Apartheid dominance) that South Africa's black / non-white population is like Australia, where our indigenous folk are (due to various issues) a genuine minority, when it's actually the exact opposite.

Literally 9 out of 10 people in South Africa is non-white, so theretically, it would make logical sense for 5-6 members of an 11-man team to be non-white. If due to cultural historical participation this quota needs to be nurtured and accelerated, so be it. I'm sure at this point that nation-building and an accurate representation of the nation's population is more important for South Africa's future than wins and losses.

In theory, quotas should actually be helpful long-term for South African sport, not just socially and for the nation's identity, but for talent levels and results too. There'll be a much larger population and pool of potential talent to draw on, which should result in more talented athletes coming through.

I think most of the anti-quota posters know it's there to help cricket and South Africa as a whole. They simply don't care.

lol. Its a brilliant place.

NB nice racism. Quality stuff.
God you're so predictably pathetic.
Completely false. I don't think you have a very good grasp of South African history, politics, or demographics. Quota's at provincial and school level are vital to fostering talent toany who would not have an opportunity otherwise. 80% of South Africans are black, and are incredibly under represented in all sports. And remember, the quota for the Proteas is a guide which is averaged throughout the season, rather than a test by test requirement.

While I'd rather not have it at national level, it's not the difference between winning and losing, given the talent of the up and coming black players, as well as consistent form of those cape coloured and of Asian background.
I just act on the assumption that most of them are perfectly aware of the implication of what they're posting. They just don't quite have the guts to explicitly state their belief that white people are superior and apartheid really wasn't that bad. It's the same as most white saffers you'll encounter. They're rarely straight up about their views in public, but a couple of drinks and the'll tell you all about the blicks ruining the country and how it was better back in the day. Scum.
Is there a quota for the Afrikaner underclass? Your heritage doesn't mean much if you're living in a squatter camp.
Don't come in here with your bullshit class concern trolling.
Should try and attract some very young and promising Saffa kids to move to Aus
* that, although it would be extremely appropriate given that Australia (still a white settler colony) is a haven for parts of the wealthy white settler classes of South Africa and Zimbabwe. There truly is solidarity among the ******* dregs of society.

It's pathetic enough that you're trying to claim "reverse racism" - which isn't a thing.

It becomes laughable when you're trying to do it in the Cape Town context.

Yeah only white people can be racist, you utter peanut.

Take your pathetic, try hard, holier than thou apologism elsewhere.

It's the same as most white saffers you'll encounter. They're rarely straight up about their views in public, but a couple of drinks and the'll tell you all about the blicks ruining the country and how it was better back in the day. Scum.

Yeah who could possibly be worried about SA becoming the next Zim. FFS.

I just act on the assumption that most of them are perfectly aware of the implication of what they're posting. They just don't quite have the guts to explicitly state their belief that white people are superior and apartheid really wasn't that bad. It's the same as most white saffers you'll encounter. They're rarely straight up about their views in public, but a couple of drinks and the'll tell you all about the blicks ruining the country and how it was better back in the day. Scum.
Not really related to the thread, but anecdotally I have definitely noticed nearly every person with a South African accent I've known has brought up their country going to "the dogs" in the 90's pretty quickly into knowing them.

On quotas, no expert, but as I understand one of the issues with representation is that white players get the best early Cricket development in the SA private school system? Think it would be worth getting a quota system in the schools (as the education will help the community even if the kids don't make it in Cricket). Then again, 'quota' kids would probably cop it. At least criticism of the cricket team quotas generally leaves the players out of it.

Yeah only white people can be racist, you utter peanut.

Take your pathetic, try hard, holier than thou apologism elsewhere.

Racism is less about skin colour, and more about power and privilege.

So no, in South Africa, where the whites own everything - land, money, opportunity, influence - no, "reverse racism" is not a think.

You utter peanut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back