Autopsy Argh Bugger - Tigers by 24

Remove this Banner Ad

They will make the 8 surely? They are good. They will belt a few teams over there and end up with a decent percentage.
Maybe. Catumpire made same point…it is hard to see who takes their place (other than maybe Richmond if they go on a roll)…I was just pointing out that I am not convinced.. They are not terrible by any stretch but they have played 6 out of 9 at home and only one 1 out of 3 away from home (and that was against Hawks by 3!).

So I am sure they are building to be a good team but I would not be shocked if they go on a losing streak as draw gets tougher? But again I find it hard to see who is better (this year) below them

In my ladder predictor (for what it is worth at round 9) I have them 7th. Interestingly I have Gold Coast getting into 8th. (I don’t rate St Kilda and think they will have similar back end to 2022 and miss the 8 after good start)

They will make the 8 surely? They are good. They will belt a few teams over there and end up with a decent percentage.
My ladder predictor has them as 7th, i was just commenting that I am not convinced…yet. Draw will get harder for them

8th spot is probably the most interesting uncertainty in play. The top 7 is set IMO. Maybe the Dogs are slightly vulnerable given poor percentage.

I agree the Crows have had a good run but it’s hard to argue they are not clearly better than all those below them. They have half a game on Carlton and a full game and healthy % on the rest. They are well placed if their young team can hold it together.

Below them are a lot of troubled sides. Carlton’s woes are well documented. Essendon had fallen off a cliff since their good start. Richmond, for all the talk of “being back”, are a game and a half out of the 8 and still need probably 10 wins out of the last 14 with 7 of those against sides in the 8 currently.
Agree. My ladder predictor has them 7th and actually Gold Coast 8th (think St Kilda will fall away like Essendon has)….

It's a tad early for me, unlike Kingy, to be forecasting the top four/five.
Example Melbourne,
Losses: Lions, Bombers.
Wins: Dogs, Swans, Eagles, Tigers, Roos, Suns, Hawks.
Ladder: equal second
So obviously a very tight run coming up and could well be overtaken.

The biggest disappointment for me is that I just can't see a genuine replacement for Selwood or Dangerfield in any of the youth currently coming through.

I know that's a tall order but those guys will win you grand finals. Last night there was nobody putting their shoulder to the wheel with gritted teeth to just get the game won.

System, training, structure and poise are obviously huge components in a footy team, but so is x-factor. And I don't see much of it in the young brigade coming through at the moment.

Bloody hope I'm wrong. Max Holmes could be the next big thing. Ditto Clark, Bruhn, potentially even Bowes. But I still haven't seen anything from this season to make me think any of these guys will be the ones to step up and drag their team over the line in a knock out final.

It's probably just the malaise of losing to these shitbirds that's got me down. After all, a lot of these boys still have a lot of footy in front of them.
That is also what happened after 2011 team started ageing off the list. We had to get Danger in to help Selwood. I reckon we would be most focused on trying to get the next X factor mid in unless Jhye progresses fast. Holmes will be a core mid. We will need another big bodied inside outside with leg drive (yes. Sorry to use a D Kingism)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Personally not into omens… for those that are we are 5-4… same as last year when we experienced our last defeat of 2022. Need to defend transition/ back half to fwd half entries… a tad sloppy!
For this omen to mean something meaningful for a b2b premiership we would now have to go undefeated to the granny - how likely his that a 2nd year in a row??! Top 4 in some jeopardy now unless we only lose very few games at most going forward, right?

Maybe. Catumpire made same point…it is hard to see who takes their place (other than maybe Richmond if they go on a roll)…I was just pointing out that I am not convinced.. They are not terrible by any stretch but they have played 6 out of 9 at home and only one 1 out of 3 away from home (and that was against Hawks by 3!).

So I am sure they are building to be a good team but I would not be shocked if they go on a losing streak as draw gets tougher? But again I find it hard to see who is better (this year) below them

In my ladder predictor (for what it is worth at round 9) I have them 7th. Interestingly I have Gold Coast getting into 8th. (I don’t rate St Kilda and think they will have similar back end to 2022 and miss the 8 after good start)
Yep, think the crows will continue to improve but will be bottom 8. Saints- not sure- they were playing very good footy but have gone off the boil again, like last year. It remains to be seen, whether, under Lyon they can address their issues, if they do, I still like them for the 8.

Last edited:
For this omen to mean something meaningful for a b2b premiership we would now have to go undefeated to the granny - how likely his that a 2nd year in a row??! Top 4 in some jeopardy now unless we only lose very few games at most going forward, right?
Would be 17 in a row this time

Catumpire? We could use him after Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost impossible for Geelong to achieve this.

The Western Bulldogs could be the sleeper for the top 4.

Nah. They've still got the same problem - terrific midfield (and it is), but just can't kick enough goals.

It took Carlton taking the lead for them to finally move the ball quickly in the last quarter. They looked immediately better but just don't do it enough. Their one method of attack - slow kick to the top of the square with 30 players around it - just doesn't work against top teams.

Haven't had the chance to read through the thread yet.

Very impressed with a number of the younger players ability to quicky flick the handpasses off under pressure and with accuracy. Lot to work with. Knevitt is impressive at times.
Dempsey looked like his shots for goal needed to be inside 40 metres as he he reminded me of Dalhous in his range

Rarely have I seen such consensus after a loss.

For me, every side has a 'tipping point' where too many changes come too quickly.

In that light, to be able to walk away from the night thinking, "We could have won that" is a bonus. Sometimes, a side needs to find out what its Plan D looks like. How else do youngsters emerge? I thought Bruhn thrived in the role of being our number 1 mid. Played a brilliant game.

The only alarming thing for me was Bolta beating Hawkins.
That was because the delivery was so poor.

The concern is that injuries are out of our control and compounding.
This has not been planned.

The umpiring was an issue and our club must bring this up.

Hawkins and Holmes were very poor after halftime.
Based on that performance Parfitt should not play again.
Duncan must improve quickly. I think it will be his last year.

As a team, we had no cohesion and were too hesitant.

Bruhn and glimpses from Clark were the positives.
Remember Duncan did not have a pre season. If he gets that next year would be completely different.

We should have expected it the moment they announced the 4 umpire change.

If the 3 umpire system had it's inconsistencies I'm not sure why they thought adding another was going to change it.
Plus you add 9 (33%) umpires who could not get a game before and the standard has to degrade.. I think the thing that annoys me the most is how slow they are to blow the whistle. The ball has moved on by 2 plays or is 2 suburbs away. The late whistle will also cause more players to get rubbed out for a dangerous tackle as more players will get taken to ground.

It's pretty hard at a game trying to figure out who is playing on who but it seems we try to get Stewart onto the poorest forward we can whilst the opposition try to get him onto the best forward they can. He plays an attacking game and when the ball gets turned over as it did on Friday night he gets caught out big time. Often getting caught in no man's land between the ball and his player. He needs to have a full strength backline around him. Kolo and Jack Henry provide a a lot of cover for him. Without them both there I think he leaks 2-4 goals a game.

Am I miles off or does anyone else see it like me?

No that's pretty fair. Most attacking defenders would be like this, he certainly isn't alone.

Richmond seemed to really focus as you said on playing through him. Hurt our run and his composure under pressure. Why he ended up on Riewoldt near the goalsquare was a mystery.

It's not panic stations. We fielded a VFL team, got useful game time into young players like Knevitt, Dempsey, and Clark and lost a fairly tight game against a team that freakishly couldn't miss on the night and had Brett Rosebury waving black and yellow pompoms the whole time. We'll bounce back, we always do.

For someone who is normally such a good kick I think Tuohy turned the ball over nearly every kick he had. We had a bad game over all. i know the outs eventually caught up with us but I also think it was a game we could have won. If we had taken our chances in the first half game could have been over at half time. It was also one of those games where the bounce/run of the ball did not go our way. Our kicking was the poorest I have seem it for a while. Rub of the green did not go our way with umpiring decisions - free kick against Tom Stewart for a hold in the 2nd quarter, non free kick to MOC in last quarter.

It's not where they finish by the end of the season. It's the form they were in when you played them.
Fair point…maybe a bit of both (as where they end up might reflect on the reality of where they were - if that makes any sense?)

Anyway I am of the view that Adelaide - whilst certainly on the rise - are being over rated at the moment due to the draw they have had. So our win over them (at home where they hadn’t won for 20 years) is also being overstated…but time will tell

Not meaning to be negative but I am a bit cautious as to whether we have a good feel for where we are at. The wins against Hawks, Swans, WC and I think even Essendon are quickly being shown as just road kill wins where most opponents look great. Adelaide might be a good win, but I am not 100%

It would be nice to have a relatively full team against Bulldogs as that will give us all a good read?

For someone who is normally such a good kick I think Tuohy turned the ball over nearly every kick he had. We had a over at half time. It was also one of those games where the bounce/run of the ball did not go our way. Our kicking was the poorest I have seem it for a while. Rub of the green did not go our way with umpiring decisions - free kick against Tom Stewart for a hold in the 2nd quarter, non free kick to MOC in last quarter.

Just out of interest what was the final fee kick count

Didnt alter the final result - but some games its just not your night - i can remember that game over in Perth a few years back against Coll - a similiar thing happened - were alot of Geel supporters their that night - because they just hooted the umpires in the 2nd half - and by the way we lost - hah

Remove this Banner Ad

Back