Australian Open Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

My gate crasher for the Open to claim some scalps is Dominik Hrbaty (SVK). Hoping Hewit can do it this time but it's tough to go past Federer & Roddick.

Hmmm, the Willi sisters not in the top 5 ranking...there's some value. Go Maria !!!

Agassi is more than likely going to be ruled out.

Davenport ruled out. Im sure of this, or maybe it might just be out of the Medibank.

Go Lleyton and Alicia! :D

I'm disappointed that Clijster's wrist hadn't healed quick enough for her to come. I'm going for Molik on the women's side and Hewitt and J.Johansson on the mens.

I think that Federer will take out the mens though. I just really can't see anyone beating him atm IMO. Womens side I can seriously see Molik giving then a run for their money. She is in unbelievable form atm.

Snickers said:
Agassi is more than likely going to be ruled out.

Davenport ruled out. Im sure of this, or maybe it might just be out of the Medibank.

AFAIK, Davenport is only officially out of Sydney. I think she's going to try and come up for the Open, but probably won't.

Pity about Agassi. He always provides very entertaining matches at the Aus Open. Should still get some good action on centre court though (going first two days). Hopefully I'll get to see Federer...the man is awesome. Can't see anybody beating him. Crossing my fingers that I'll get to see Lleyton...haven't yet seen him play out a full match (last year the opponent retired hurt, the year before we had to leave for a country train, before that we didn't get centre court tickets). :mad:

BomberGal said:
Crossing my fingers that I'll get to see Lleyton...haven't yet seen him play out a full match (last year the opponent retired hurt, the year before we had to leave for a country train, before that we didn't get centre court tickets). :mad:
If you've got tix for the day and night sessions you should, as long as you don't have to leave early for a train. I've never seen Lleyton play a 5-setter, I saw him in the Open once but it went off in straight sets and I've seen him at the NSW International but they're only 3-set matches.
I fly in to Melbourne on Tuesday evening and I've got centre court tix on Wednesday and grounds pass on Friday.

celebration time in karbassiyoon land as michaella krajicek makes the main draw after winning her qualifier this morning, 7-6, 5-7, 6-0 :D

olivia "scott" lukaswevcizeiwsxzzeiceazcz lost her qualifer 6-1 6-1

but hey, at least its not 6-0 6-0 in the GIRLS singles

Funkalicous said:
Does anyone think Jochim Johanson (sp?) could be a smokey?
Before seeing the draw i wouldve said yes, but now i dont see him finishing anywhere near the finals. has Schalken in the first round and we could see him bow out straight away. if he makes it past that he has an easy game, but will then have to face Agassi. Then Federer after Agassi. The draw ruined his chances.

$10 on Nalbandian and $20 on Carlos Moya at good odds. Cant see Federer winning it this year which would come as a relief, about time somone beats him...Moya's the man.

No Aussies successful in qualifying

Men's Qualifiers:
Tomas Zib [1] (CZE)
Federico Luzzi (ITA)
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez [3] (ESP)
Oliver Marach (AUT)
Olivier Patience [5] (FRA)
Florent Serra (FRA)
Janko Tipsarevic [7] (SCG)
Jean-Rene Lisnard [18] (FRA)
Marcos Baghdatis [27] (CYP)
Dieter Kindlmann (GER)
Melle van Gemerden (NED)
Daniele Bracciali [24] (ITA)
Bobby Reynolds (USA)
Roko Karanusic [25] (CRO)
Novak Djokovic (SCG)
Takao Suzuki (JPN)

Women's Qualifiers:
Sesil Karatantcheva [1] (BUL)
Jessica Kirkland (USA)
Michaella Krajicek (WC) (NED)
Liu Nan-Nan (CHN)
Elena Baltacha (GBR)
Angela Haynes [6] (USA)
Zuzana Ondraskova [7] (CZE)
Zsofia Gubacsi (HUN)
Anastasiya Yakimova [16] (BLR)
Li Ting (CHN)
Meilen Tu (USA)
Aiko Nakamura (JPN)

Bomber Spirit said:
If you've got tix for the day and night sessions you should, as long as you don't have to leave early for a train. I've never seen Lleyton play a 5-setter, I saw him in the Open once but it went off in straight sets and I've seen him at the NSW International but they're only 3-set matches.
I fly in to Melbourne on Tuesday evening and I've got centre court tix on Wednesday and grounds pass on Friday.

We normally get at least one night session, but this year my mum decided not to. (???!!!!) So unless he plays during the day, we won't see him. And I'm guessing he'll play at night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going Hewitt on the count that a) he's an underdog and he fights when he percieves the chips are down, b) he's criticised the surface, put pressure on himself and has somethng to prove, and c) he's put on muscle.

Johasson has got grand slam written all over him. I think he's a chance to either win one this year or break into the top 10 and stay there for a while.

The surface is slow so that brings all the Moyas and Corias etc into action. And who knows which Safin will turn up this year.

Agassi and Henman no chance.

bunsen burner said:
I'm going Hewitt on the count that a) he's an underdog and he fights when he percieves the chips are down, b) he's criticised the surface, put pressure on himself and has somethng to prove, and c) he's put on muscle.

Johasson has got grand slam written all over him. I think he's a chance to either win one this year or break into the top 10 and stay there for a while.

The surface is slow so that brings all the Moyas and Corias etc into action. And who knows which Safin will turn up this year.

Agassi and Henman no chance.

I first noticed Johanssojn at the start of last year, he made the third round but lost to Juan Carlos Ferero. He has improved so much since then but the draw isn't the best for him. His match against Roddick was amazing last year and shows he can play against the higher ranked players with the pressure all around him. I'm really hoping he can perform and he will definally be in the top 10 very soon, and win a slam in the next few years

I ended up backing Nalbandian at $31 as a bit of a smokey. Pretty kind draw, potential for Coria/Ferrero in the 4th (should have them covered on hard court) and then Hewitt in the QFs.

Unwritten_Law said:
I ended up backing Nalbandian at $31 as a bit of a smokey. Pretty kind draw, potential for Coria/Ferrero in the 4th (should have them covered on hard court) and then Hewitt in the QFs.
He was playing well this time last year. Could well beat Coria then Hewitt then a big semi against A-Rod.

Mens Winner - Federer, enough said.
Womens Winner - I hope Molik does well, but I think it will be one of the Russians that will win it.

I'll be happy enough if Molik makes it to the quarters against Venus. To win 4 matches, maybe her form might give her a chance to make the semis.

Hewitt has an interesting match with Blake in round 2. Blake has made the 4th round the last two years.

kingsleyhunter said:
$10 on Nalbandian and $20 on Carlos Moya at good odds. Cant see Federer winning it this year which would come as a relief, about time somone beats him...Moya's the man.

Quickest $20 you'd ever lost. Bad luck. Get that $20 back by putting some $$$ on Federer for 3-0 set wins on upcoming opponents.

Nalbandian is great value but I'd doubt he can go all the way. Stick with 3-1 set wins for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back