Opinion AUSTRALIAN Politics: Adelaide Board Discussion Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t see this air, but did she really get a standing ovation from a Q&A audience?

The ABC producers will be holding crisis meetings this morning.

Think you miss the point - freedom of speech 100% I totally agree, freedom to post misinformation 100% disagree.

This is a series of clips, so again not all related to the topic. Classic use of grabs and sound bites to misinform.

And you as usual fall for it.

Think you miss the point - freedom of speech 100% I totally agree, freedom to post misinformation 100% disagree.

This is a series of clips, so again not all related to the topic. Classic use of grabs and sound bites to misinform.

I don’t think you understand what free speech is my man

Of course it does. It absolutely does.

The reason it does is because to have “misinformation” classified as illegal speech someone has to be the arbiter of what classifies as misinformation.

Should we make that me? I’m sure you’d be alright with that.

No, because misinformation is used to confuse individuals and muddy an argument.

So if something is factually known to be wrong why should that be allowed to be used. Now call me a cynic but misinformation is generally peddled by I let you work that out. It isn’t hard to identify the type of individuals.

The reason it does is because to have “misinformation” classified as illegal speech someone has to be the arbiter of what classifies as misinformation.

I'm with Kirky;)

Kirky's opinion = free speech and truth
Alternate opinion =misinformation and should be illegal.

Imagine if the government got to dictate what misinformation was. Which is exactly what they want.

I don’t think you understand what free speech is my man

kirky is correct.

The free speech part of any constitution was primarily driven for democracy purposes. Anyone at anytime can criticise the government and political candidates consequence free. But again you can't defame or threaten. Free speech is also not a tool to be misused to spread propaganda and misinformation, allowing it when factually incorrect is incredibly dangerous especially when it can involve things such as what is regarded as hate speech and other things such as cures for diseases or more recently cures for covid.

What I find astonishing is a lot of the arguments around free speech more or less is revolving around who can say it more than the content. For example, if Tiffany claims on X her quartz crystal cures cancer and she charges $10 to desperate cancer patients, we'd say take her to jail. But lets say (he of the orange variety who shall not be named) says word for word the same thing, thats free speech according to many how dare you you deranged individual go after him. Thats obviously an extreme and terrible example but its clear free speech is revolving around politics than what actually is free speech.

Imagine if the government got to dictate what misinformation was. Which is exactly what they want.

The lady in the video Slippery Pete posted is correct. The media and investigative journalists do a good job at fact checking viral information. The current extreme leftist PC views is primarily driven by media personalities and celebrities padding their own resumes. In this world where X and other social media are heavily monitored by 24/7 news cycle, its going to be hard pressed for anyone to post anything on mainstream social media that is pure misinformation and get away with it. The government shouldn't have anything to do with it. The fact the ALP does, should ring alarm bells on the hidden agendas perhaps.

kirky is correct.

The free speech part of any constitution was primarily driven for democracy purposes. Anyone at anytime can criticise the government and political candidates consequence free. But again you can't defame or threaten. Free speech is also not a tool to be misused to spread propaganda and misinformation, allowing it when factually incorrect is incredibly dangerous especially when it can involve things such as what is regarded as hate speech and other things such as cures for diseases or more recently cures for covid.

What I find astonishing is a lot of the arguments around free speech more or less is revolving around who can say it more than the content. For example, if Tiffany claims on X her quartz crystal cures cancer and she charges $10 to desperate cancer patients, we'd say take her to jail. But lets say (he of the orange variety who shall not be named) says word for word the same thing, thats free speech according to many how dare you you deranged individual go after him. Thats obviously an extreme and terrible example but its clear free speech is revolving around politics than what actually is free speech.
"Free speech is also not a tool to be misused to spread propaganda and misinformation"

Someone forgot to telll politicians because that's all they did during covid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Free speech is also not a tool to be misused to spread propaganda and misinformation"

Someone forgot to telll politicians because that's all they did during covid.

They got away with it because little was factually known at the time. As predicted though, as more information comes to light, those same politicians are looking every bit as bad as I thought they would.

They got away with it because little was factually known at the time. As predicted though, as more information comes to light, those same politicians are looking every bit as bad as I thought they would.
Na they fully knew what was going on. That's where people start calling me a cooker and I really donr give a s**t. They trust government and I don’t.

Last edited:
Na they fully knew what was going on and that's where people start calling me a cooker and I really fobr give a s**t. They trust government and I don't.

unfortunately even though many on here have been proven right over time, technically the evidence was still being gathered during covid years.

You can't trust a government to refrain from playing politics with issues if they see it as giving them a tactical advantage come election time. Thats what covid taught me.

unfortunately even though many on here have been proven right over time, technically the evidence was still being gathered during covid years.

You can't trust a government to refrain from playing politics with issues if they see it as giving them a tactical advantage come election time. Thats what covid taught me.
‘Trust the science’ was the catchphrase of the Covid crisis yet it was mainly about government interference in science. Top scientists were banned or ostracized to feed a false narrative. People lives were torn apart because we had to believe the "experts".
Elections were won and lost because of censorship.

‘Trust the science’ was the catchphrase of the Covid crisis yet it was mainly about government interference in science. Top scientists were banned or ostracized to feed a false narrative. People lives were torn apart because we had to believe the "experts".

Yes of course, the WA Coalition lost the election because the ALP Premier kept his constituents safe. Pretty simple, no false narratives.

Same goes for other governments across the nation.

Peoples lives torn apart? The vast majority, and that is who matters, just went on with their lives. We all have challenges but you know what, don’t blame the government, look in the mirror.

They may have been saying trust the science, but what they were really saying was trust the doctors. The doctors who have to protect their reputations were always going to err on the extreme side of caution.

Yes of course, the WA Coalition lost the election because the ALP Premier kept his constituents safe. Pretty simple, no false narratives.

Same goes for other governments across the nation.

Peoples lives torn apart? The vast majority, and that is who matters, just went on with their lives. We all have challenges but you know what, don’t blame the government, look in the mirror.
You’re a weird cold hearted unit at times, so the families that weren’t able to be there for deaths, births, weddings etc shouldn’t blame the government but look in the mirror? So what did you expect them to do differently? Don’t die or give birth or get married?

You’re a weird cold hearted unit at times, so the families that weren’t able to be there for deaths, births, weddings etc shouldn’t blame the government but look in the mirror? So what did you expect them to do differently? Don’t die or give birth or get married?

Yes, I’m cold hearted at times. Who knew?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back