FTA-TV Australian Survivor - Part 1 - Cont. in Pt. 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't buy Kristie's version of her game at all

She said she got rid of Phoebe.
What i saw was Kristie saved by a needless twist, followed by Kate orchestrating Phoebe's demise
Kristie's role was being told of Phoebe's plan and flipping her vote to save her ass.
Kate could have just kept quiet of she wanted Kristie gone

That twist definitely saved her, and Phoebe carried her through the game and then she followed Lee's lead.
In the end, the jury bought her story and voted for her.

I knew Kristy would win and come through in the final challenge. I didn't like the begging part (don't care why she did it) but she did really well in that challenge, which I thought was stupid btw. After the challenge she was spent mentally and physically and I think it will take her a while to regroup and come to terms in what she has achieved. She was fantastic at FTC and I could see her being in marketing as she was really pitching her story. Still hard to believe Lee only managed one vote, which was that of El's. I thought this morning when I went online to read the newspapers that there would be stories on the remaining three survivors but I am guess they will come. I might even tune into the Project tonight as no doubt Kristy (and not Christie) will be on. I hope she spends the $500K wisely.

Onto Lee you could see he really wanted to win and take El to the final but I guess in the end he caved in and gave Kristy her lifelong dream to be in the final two.

I don't think Lee caved in so Kristie could win immunity and make it to the final 2, pretty sure he was trying his hardest to win to take El to the final 2 and he looked absolutely spent at the end of it.

Kristie begging with Lee to let her win was cringeworthy to watch, saying how he reminded her of her Dad (whoever said she has daddy issues was bang on)

It might have been a tactic from Kristie to wear Lee down by annoying him with her pathetic begging and maybe it worked but it was awful to watch.

I thought she made another blunder when she backed up her promise to take Lee to the final 2 as I thought she'd have a better chance of beating El however I think everyone underestimated how poor Lee would be at making his case at the FTC and how good Kristie would be.

There are never any guarantees that late in the game, no matter who you take. As much as Lee kept banging on about loyalty and voting in the alliance, that all becomes null and void when you're down to the final 4.

Even if it's a Lee, Flick, Matt and Kristie final 4 there's no guarantee Lee targets Kristie. Lee mentioned he didn't trust Flick so my money's on him trying to eliminate her. Further, I imagine that both Matt and Flick would have rathered take Kristie than each other to FTC also.

The bolded isn't true. Kristie was never on the bottom post-merge. She was on the bottom when Vavau went down to 5, only to be saved by the Sue to Sanaapu twist. Kristie hardly 'convinced' Kate and Connor to vote off Phoebe, Phoebe was always a target when new Vavau was formed and she eventually got voted out after two previous unsuccessful attempts. Ask yourself, when was Kristie ever actually legitimately targeted to be voted out post-merge? Never. That's what 'having the numbers against you' is. She was on the outside yes (as in, not in a position of influence in the tribe) but that's not the same as being on the bottom. From memory, she got a few votes as an expendable person if the target pulled out an immunity idol (again showing her lack of control completely flying in the face of her "I made subtle moves" speech).

It's easy to say after the fact that she made the right call at F5, F4 and F3. I can't help but think of poker in this case. Kristie was holding a 2 & 7 and decided to go all in only for the flop to bring out a 2, 2, 7. Easy to say afterwards that she made the right call on the 2 & 7 but anybody that knows poker knows it was a ridiculous call to make (the same as backing yourself to win final immunity against two people combined for 5 individual wins versus two people combined for 0 individual wins) and she got lucky with how the cards fell. Luckily for her, Lee didn't know the rules of poker.

This was far from the perfect game (it's a somewhat boring season to watch but Redemption Island is probably what a perfect game from the winner looks like, the cast wasn't the best there though. I haven't seen every season also). Kristie's FTC was perfectly played given the circumstances and that's what rightfully has got her the win. Her overall game seemed pretty weak though.
At final 5 Kristie had the biggest call in the game to make...stick with the couple - LEL - who she had been voting consistently, and successfully, with for the majority of the time at FiaFia or jump on board with Fli(p) who was 'playing too hard' and Matt who had been blindsided (by Fli(P) of all people) at previous tribals and was now battling.

Somebody else said it that it is a mistake to try to look a couple of moves ahead, completely agree.

It was clearly in Mat and Fli(P)s best interest for her to side with them...but it wasn't in Kristie's.

Fli(p) should have stuck with Brooke, Sam and Matt and voted out El...then Kristie was no chance of winning.

So when sitting at F5 Kristie made the best decision for herself to survive the F4, remain tight with LEL. Choosing to get rid of El left her with no security or power at the F4, so it was an easy decision....and it worked as it was Fli(P) who went next.

Kristie benefitted from a powerful Sanapu alliance imploding and targeting each other, poor play from supposed 'strategists' and 'big movers'.

Her game was always ever only going to seem weak as they were the cards dealt, always on the outside looking in.

I don't think Lee caved in so Kristie could win immunity and make it to the final 2, pretty sure he was trying his hardest to win to take El to the final 2 and he looked absolutely spent at the end of it.

Kristie begging with Lee to let her win was cringeworthy to watch, saying how he reminded her of her Dad (whoever said she had daddy issues was bang on)

It might have been a tactic from Kristie to wear Lee down by annoying him with her pathetic begging and maybe it worked but it was awful to watch.

I thought she made another blunder when she backed up her promise to take Lee to the final 2 as I thought she'd have a better chance of beating El however I think everyone underestimated how poor Lee would be at making his case at the FTC and how good Kristie would be.

I don't think Lee even knew there was a FINAL tribal council.
I think he assumed it'd be one vote each and then they'd make fire (or try too)

I don't buy this Kristie is smarter then she appeared, and that she was in control of her game.

If she was in fact in control of her game, then channel 10 were terrible editing this season. If she was in control surely she would have explained herself at confessionals and us as veiwers would know what she was up to. Due to that reson I see she is Bat s**t crazy, and dumb as dog s**t, and lucked the win.

However in saying that, she definatley controlled her game at the final challenge and final council.

I don't think we are arguing that she was guaranteed top 2 with Flick and Matt. Rather, the argument is that the probability of her going to the final two with either Flick or Matt was higher than the probability of going with El or Lee.

I've never argued against that. All I've meant is that coming top 2 is not the goal, that Kristie risked a higher chance of coming 3rd, for a better chance at coming 1st. And again, this was very difficult to see at the time, and I didn't see it either. But it wasn't impossible to see it, some people in this thread were saying that Lee may have put off a lot of the jury with his sanctimony - we all thought he was a bit of a hypocrite. Also I don't think any of us fully accounted for Lee's naivety about the game, yet we knew about that too. And I think most of us agree that was one of the biggest factors in him getting beaten so easily at the final tribal.

It's an interesting case study anyway. Just adds to the evidence that survivor can be won in many different ways by very different types of people, and that even the alpha male, physically dominant, honourable player can be a goat in certain circumstances.

I don't buy Kristie's version of her game at all

She said she got rid of Phoebe.
What i saw was Kristie saved by a needless twist, followed by Kate orchestrating Phoebe's demise

I didn't see it this way. Kristie found out Phoebe was gunning for her from Kate, but Kristie was the one that flipped Conner against Phoebe. He had been aligned with Phoebe previously and had talked about wanting to play the game with her for a couple of episodes so it was a good effort.

No doubt Kristie was saved by the needless twist with Sue though. But luck is a significant factor in survivor. Flick was potentially going home in the tribe swap episode for example, Lee and El got picked in the super tribe etc.

The Smaller Warrior

I'd love to here what the pressure was like to actually play for $500K. I mean, the equation looked like this: stick with an alliance and have a small chance at winning $500K OR make a big statement, throw away that chance, become great television, a possible fan favourite and get voted out.

Are the consequences of potentially giving up a shot for $500K too great? Or would it have been worth it for the public's praise?

The Smaller Warrior

I'd love to here what the pressure was like to actually play for $500K. I mean, the equation looked like this: stick with an alliance and have a small chance at winning $500K OR make a big statement, throw away that chance, become great television, a possible fan favourite and get voted out.

Are the consequences of potentially giving up a shot for $500K too great? Or would it have been worth it for the public's praise?
Sticking with an alliance and having a 1/4 chance at a life changing moment was too great for me.

Flick tried for both as an example, and that was much tougher.

At final 5 Kristie had the biggest call in the game to make...stick with the couple - LEL - who she had been voting consistently, and successfully, with for the majority of the time at FiaFia or jump on board with Fli(p) who was 'playing too hard' and Matt who had been blindsided (by Fli(P) of all people) at previous tribals and was now battling.

Somebody else said it that it is a mistake to try to look a couple of moves ahead, completely agree.

It was clearly in Mat and Fli(P)s best interest for her to side with them...but it wasn't in Kristie's.

Fli(p) should have stuck with Brooke, Sam and Matt and voted out El...then Kristie was no chance of winning.

So when sitting at F5 Kristie made the best decision for herself to survive the F4, remain tight with LEL. Choosing to get rid of El left her with no security or power at the F4, so it was an easy decision....and it worked as it was Fli(P) who went next.

Kristie benefitted from a powerful Sanapu alliance imploding and targeting each other, poor play from supposed 'strategists' and 'big movers'.

Her game was always ever only going to seem weak as they were the cards dealt, always on the outside looking in.

Captain hindsight.

Kristy doesn't win final immunity and she goes home.

She had a stronger chance of winning immunities vs Flick and Matt compared to El and Lee.

Plus from what you can gather, if it was final 3 with Matt and Flick, you'd think majority of the time they take her to final 2 over the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How could you pick Phoebe when she was actually the only person that Kristie really blindsided?

Nick, meh another dud who should hv been one of the first out if not for Aus Survivor flipping tribal.

Kristie absolutely smashed it, she played her cards perfectly...she kept being dealt 2s and 3s and folded whilst people with picture cards went all in only for it to blow up in their faces.

If the sanapu alliance just picked them off one by one Kristie would never have got a look in...but the 'big moves' and 'great gameplay' by people like Brooke got them voted off when they were cruising...

the Sanapu tribe had all the advantage, even picked their own super tribe by bringing in Lee, and still couldn't get it done.

With 5 left people were uber critical of Kristie for not flipping to Flick n TSW, but what was in it for her...Kristie was the all important swing vote, she controlled the game then and she picked the best course for her!!

A great game and absolutely BOSSED FTC, a thoroughly deserving winner.
Couldn't disagree more ..Kristie fluked the win by being dumb as dog crap for the majority of the game...Lee manipulated her like a Puppet.

The Smaller Warrior

With the application process, how far out from filming did you know you were in? Did it take a while to come to terms with it? I imagine it would be very hard to get ready to leave loved ones etc? Was there much of an adjustment period before hand?

Really disappointing to see more bad stuff about TSW being put on reddit.

[AUS] PSA Matt is not a moral person.

Unfortunately I think it's part and parcel of reality tv. A lot of vitriol going Kristies way as well. For his part TSW should keep his head up. Played a good game and hasn't bad mouthed anyone.

Look i don't think she did know what she was doing most of the time but you're absolutely right, its a genuine tactic and it worked a treat here.

Youre also right, she played the right game for this season, but i don't want to see it become the norm, i fear for the longevity of the show if it does.
Indeed, but i agree with you that she didn't actually play the strategy we are analysing, she lucked it there and then retrospectively created a narrative to make it seem like she more or less intended it all along.

Had she say, at the merge (or any time actually!) stated 'my strategy is to x, y and z, float along as a non player and then constantly flip to help divide and distablise the formed alliance, etc.' rightfully we'd all cheer her as a great player. Alas her 'subtle' moves were bullshit, 1-day further reactionary stuff, but credit her she did sell the positive spin hindsight story beautifully at FTC

A person can use tactics that she unwittingly accomplished, but it won't be standard gameplay as it's too luck centric to rely on

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back