Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There seems a lot of focus on Cousins. Personally, I’m aboard the Howe train. Hoping he is now refreshed after the mental trials of last season and is ready to dominate. A big frame, great competitiveness and goes when it’s his turn. Hopefully he can add a few more tweaks to the game under Sam and go up a level.

I'm a fan, but Dan has his limitations, the main one being caught holding the ball quite a bit. If he can clean this up he will be even more valuable. Would love it if he could lay bone crunching tackles like Mumford. I think he is most valuable as a tough run with player on the opposition beasts, something he can do very well. As one of only 2 big framed midfielders, unless we count Roughy, we need him to fly the flag when our other mids are being targeted. Especially as it looks like 2 of our main ball getters will be only 2nd year players. Our other big bodied player, Jaeger, is usually a target himself.

It is hard from afar to see what really happens during the match but Howe, as much as I love his on field presence and aggression, seems to be more an inside defender and protector of space for someone like JOM to run into or TOM to either dish out to or run out of. I just don't see him, unless his role significantly changes with TOM being unavailable, having an opportunity to build a new role on which he can demand a permanent spot in the midfield. I feel like Worpel went past him during his suspension last year and he's going to have to develop a quicker mindset to get that spot back, even without TOM.
My guess is we are going to want to use another accumulator to replace TOM which will see Worpel take the spot to begin with but I am not against using Howe to make space for JOM and Shiels in attacking roles from ball ups. Our strength, which is crazy from only a couple of seasons ago, will be spread and two way outside running once Scully makes his debut.

Cousins is more suited to the ‘ drop of the ball’ stopage mid then anyone else in our midfield mix. If he takes his opportunity then he won’t have to play in different positions on the ground in which he struggles anyway. I think the hand and knees type role suits him perfectly and allows jaeger, Shiels and Worpel to play a step or two outside which is the more suitable role for them. Thank God Cuz didn’t take the swans offer !!!

Howe reminds me a little of Lewis. Not as hard, but still does those unnoticed team things very well and consistently.
Keep saying it - his late inclusion in the Richmond finals game was a godsend. I really liked his game that night. He really wants to win a game of footy this guy

Don’t think that we can have both Howe and Cousins in the midfield together - will make us too pedestrian. Perhaps Clarkson will replace TM with a combo of Worpel, Chad and Impey?? Will certainly give us a different dynamic

Jono ORourke and Lovell used to dominate practice match simulation 🤔

I think the theory of that is due to a multitude of factors.

One - the coaches want to see development from the younger players and thrust them into primary roles at training (despite them usually playing periphery or support roles when they finally debut)

Two - the senior players 'know' the strategies far more, so the younger players are exposed to learn their roles.

Three - the senior players are far more comfortable in their job security - more focused on fitness/health than form at this stage.

Four - confidence is an incredible thing. If you were the 4th inside midfielder, grinding away at Box Hill, then the next pre-season you are beating Mitchell, how good would you feel?

Five - training is all about what you CAN do. Every single player drafted into AFL is talented. They wouldn't be there if they didn't have at least one attribute that was, or potentially elite. A five minute drill, even a short practice match just accentuates this skill, whilst the shortcomings are not exposed. 2-way running, defensive pressure, consistent focus/stamina across an entire game, etc.

There seems a lot of focus on Cousins. Personally, I’m aboard the Howe train. Hoping he is now refreshed after the mental trials of last season and is ready to dominate. A big frame, great competitiveness and goes when it’s his turn. Hopefully he can add a few more tweaks to the game under Sam and go up a level.

Don't disagree, but feel like Howe found his role in the side as the go to tagger/shut down player. But if he can add some more strings to his bow by not only shutting a player down but also getting some of the footy then I'm all for it.

I remember Brishawk's regression analysis highlighting how important Howe was to Mitchell's performance (measured in Brownlow votes). We should not underestimate how valuable Howe can be at stoppages.

This is very true. Can anyone else remember that slight down period that Tom had just before the to the run to the finals? Its no coincidence that the down period coincided with Howe's suspension. I'm not saying that he's an A grader but doing the little things like blocking / creating space so your star A graders can do what they do best should not be underestimated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the theory of that is due to a multitude of factors.

One - the coaches want to see development from the younger players and thrust them into primary roles at training (despite them usually playing periphery or support roles when they finally debut)

Two - the senior players 'know' the strategies far more, so the younger players are exposed to learn their roles.

Three - the senior players are far more comfortable in their job security - more focused on fitness/health than form at this stage.

Four - confidence is an incredible thing. If you were the 4th inside midfielder, grinding away at Box Hill, then the next pre-season you are beating Mitchell, how good would you feel?

Five - training is all about what you CAN do. Every single player drafted into AFL is talented. They wouldn't be there if they didn't have at least one attribute that was, or potentially elite. A five minute drill, even a short practice match just accentuates this skill, whilst the shortcomings are not exposed. 2-way running, defensive pressure, consistent focus/stamina across an entire game, etc.
One of the best reply’s I’ve seen, very informative
Thank you 👍

Good on Clarko, he learned his lesson when he had all of Mitch, Hodge, Sewell and Lewis in the guts
Part of what stopped us getting the 8 peat from 2008-2015 was the decline of young and Bateman and not having Hill and Smith together till 2013. Outside players are essential and I feel with impy, wingard, Scully, Smith, Morrison, O'meara, Henderson and glass and Moore we have plenty of speed and gut runners.

I was at training today along with houdinihuddo before we had to run for it when a thunderstorm came out of nowhere and started dumping rain on us.

To add to the discussion re Cousins above, what i am liking is that I am seeing a lot of Cousins to O'Meara at ball ups and bounces. Cuz is doing the in and under grunt work that Mitchell usually does and JO'M is the in close receiver who uses his pace and agility to get clear of the congestion and get the ball forward. This ocurred numerous times today and in previous sessions. Cuz is noticeably bigger and it seems to be benfiting him.

Don't discount Howe though. He uses his big frame to good effect, a bit like a Josh kennedy (Swans) type and gets his share of clearances as well. He is more likely to try to crash his way through the pack with the ball in hand.

First real look at Kosi today and he looks very comfortable with what is happening out there. I was suprised at his size, both height and build. Moves well and is clean with the ball.

Will Golds again gives reason to be excited. Knows how to find his own ball and handles it very cleanly. Has a good bit of pace about him as well.

O'Meara was again singled out for some one on one time with Mitch but was otherwsie involved in all of the drills and classy as always.

Chad = Awesome. Out manouvers and out smarts all challengers. Kicks goals without thinking about it. Took a great contested mark from behind a big pack. Be excited. Be very, very excited.

Really, really like the look of Mat Walker. First really good look at him in action today and he is a good prospect. Dare i say could play in 2019 if it weren't for other guys in the queue like Moore who has also been impressive. I haven't seen anyone that works harder than Moore. Runs his guts out and marks the ball as well anyone I've seen. He will slot into a wing/forward pocket role in the not too distant future.

Harry Jones good again today.

Macevoy looks like he has slimmed down.

Seemed to be a bit of excitement around Ned Reeves today. HH and I were wondering if they announced that he is being given one of the vacant spots on the list.

Scully and Harry Morrision did boxing with a boxing coach for the whole session. Very, very intense work out for both guys. Scully is moving very nicely and looks to be coming along nicely.

I'll add anything that I remember later.

Will have another report mid next week.

Last edited:
This is very true. Can anyone else remember that slight down period that Tom had just before the to the run to the finals? Its no coincidence that the down period coincided with Howe's suspension. I'm not saying that he's an A grader but doing the little things like blocking / creating space so your star A graders can do what they do best should not be underestimated.

Because of the "rewind" theme on the NFC website, I watched the reply of games round 21(cats), 20(essendon) and 23(swans) last week. Yes for whatever reasons Tom Mitchell was well held. But others lift up their game so it's good to watch. Can't wait for season 2019 already.

Attended briefly due to work commitments and rain.

Took a keen interest in Kosi today and I was impressed. Moves well for a big man, and he is a big man. Solid. Like to see him really develop after solid time in the AFL system and gym....could be that key defender we've been longing for since Lake, in terms of size. Disposal seems very tidy too, especially for a big man and compared to Brand and Frawley. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go up forward one day

Wingard is elite. As supports, we should be so excited.

Reeves is every bit and more of the reported 208cm. So big. I could see him being an thought of Clarko's for a key forward role.

Worpel - looks much leaner, not only form last year, but since previous sessions. Wonder if we're persisting with the "leaning" fitness approach

Minchington - will play a lot of football this year, if he can keep his body right. Good rig and looks hungry to take his (last) chance

Cegs - moving the best i've seen him move for a long time. Back issues must have gone.

Howe had a really good session, keeps impressing me this preseason.

No concerns for JOMs health, body looks good

Glass looking really good, will keep an eye for him next session. Looking strong.

Big opportunity for Cousins to step into the rover role. Seems to get to the right spots at time but rushes his possessions.

That's all I've got for now. Was only there briefly

Last edited:
I am not surprised Wingard is impressing. In my opinion he is one of the most naturally talented footballers I have seen.
I am thrilled to have him at Hawthorn.
If his application matches his talent get very excited.
I reckon he feels he has a lot to prove and it's going to be great for us. Not only will he want to perform to gain the respect of his new teammates but I reckon he wants to send a message to Port more.

I am not surprised Wingard is impressing. In my opinion he is one of the most naturally talented footballers I have seen.
I am thrilled to have him at Hawthorn.
If his application matches his talent get very excited.
My sense is he's getting a lot of love from the group, trying to make him feel wanted and feel the love. Happy Chad is a All Australian Chad. Port have seriously mismanaged him and his exit, and we will benefit handsomely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back